Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

I'm with TB on this.  Sports events often surprise me.  I'll be sitting in a pub, reading quietly with a coke or tea, and over 20 minutes everything will get louder, busier and all-together unpleasant.  I don't keep up with the events so my calender is never marked.  

If I AM somehow aware of a football game beforehand, I make a point to stay in.  Loathe it all and the attitude it provokes in many of the supporters.  This is by no means ALL of them, but the large sub-section who take it as an excuse to get drunk, belligerent and tribal ruin any fun that might be picked up by osmosis from the REST of the crowd for me.  Easier to stay in and be quietly annoyed about having the option to go out somewhat taken out of my hands.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Roger Godpleton

Since when is Eugenics bad anyways?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 March, 2010, 06:34:09 PM
Since when is Eugenics bad anyways?

You make a powerful argument for it, Roger.   ;)

Roger Godpleton

Yeah, I did make a powerful argument. I said "Tordelback" and everyone agreed with me.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 March, 2010, 06:41:04 PM
Yeah, I did make a powerful argument. I said "Tordelback" and everyone agreed with me.

While it's true that I am the product of a successful breeding programme aimed at creating a sexual athlete with genius-level mental abilities, I'm still flattered that you took the time to confirm this by plebiscite.

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 March, 2010, 05:53:00 PM
I feel like i over-reacted to your comment but i cant delete my comment unfortunately.

Cheers, Peter, I appreciate it. Let those comments stand; I'm fine with them, and I'm sorry for wearing my irritation on my sleeve. For what it's worth, I did look further into the issue after reading those comments, and I did find some reputable news sources critical of Bill Gates's enthusiasm for vaccination programmes and AIDS treatments, which I could go into (but might not! - The Guardian, and the Los Angeles Times from 2007), and the analysis there is a lot more temperate than much of the other online coverage, which relies upon preferred and inferential readings of Bill Gates's public pronouncements.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gates16dec16,1,7781791.story
I'm sure we can move on from this topic. If it surfaces again, so be it, but let's not get bogged down by it; I'm not going for the last word here, just setting out my position.
STRIKE !!!

brendan1

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 15 March, 2010, 06:32:51 PM
I'm with TB on this.  Sports events often surprise me.  I'll be sitting in a pub, reading quietly with a coke or tea, and over 20 minutes everything will get louder, busier and all-together unpleasant.  I don't keep up with the events so my calender is never marked.  

If I AM somehow aware of a football game beforehand, I make a point to stay in.  Loathe it all and the attitude it provokes in many of the supporters.  This is by no means ALL of them, but the large sub-section who take it as an excuse to get drunk, belligerent and tribal ruin any fun that might be picked up by osmosis from the REST of the crowd for me.  Easier to stay in and be quietly annoyed about having the option to go out somewhat taken out of my hands.

Tribalism and belligerence are about half of the point of football.
And I love it.

The Doctor Alt 8

My best friend's father... (who has been suffering from Prostate cancer for over 5 years)took a sudden down turn in his health last Saturday.

According to the Doctor the family saw this afternoon he now has only about two weeks to live.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: brendan1 on 15 March, 2010, 08:24:58 PM
And I love it.
Yuk.  

Living vaguely near Wembley on a tube line that runs straight TO it, whenever a football game is on there, the streets get clogged up with cars attempting to park out here after arriving from up north.  That's another lifelong reason to loathe football.  Never had an encounter with one of the fans on my highstreet when they weren't drunk and rude.

Sorry to hear your news, Doc.  My mum finally died of cancer back in October after, ooooh years (and three other seperate infections from the Big C that she managed to beat back).  So my sympathies are with you.  Horrible.

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks for your thoughts Mike...

brendan1

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 16 March, 2010, 02:02:09 PM
Quote from: brendan1 on 15 March, 2010, 08:24:58 PM
And I love it.
Yuk.  

Living vaguely near Wembley on a tube line that runs straight TO it, whenever a football game is on there, the streets get clogged up with cars attempting to park out here after arriving from up north.  That's another lifelong reason to loathe football.  Never had an encounter with one of the fans on my highstreet when they weren't drunk and rude.

Oh dear God. I don't mean hideous England fans. I'm from Liverpool.

Mike Gloady

I'm talking about the lot of you.  Gah!

uncle fester

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not really a lot you can say in these situations, but wishing you the best, if you see what I mean.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 16 March, 2010, 08:50:53 PM
I'm talking about the lot of you.  Gah!

I have been on a tube train in London with carriages stuffed full of pissed and loud and obnoxious Arsenal supporters a couple of times on match days when Arsenal were still playing at Highbury.

There was a lesson in there somewhere......

However i wont mention the incident with the lone Arsenal supporter that i was in the same tube train as once but my escape was just like in a film when someone leaves the train just as the doors are closing. :lol:

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mike Gloady

Curse it.  The only bad thing about living in Stanmore is match days when some northern team is playing at Wembley (they don't pass my way when coming from the east, south or west).  Utterly vile.  MOre than made up for by being a nice place though. 

And oddly watching football at home with my brother and his daughter is kind of ok.  I get to doodle to keep the younger kids occupied.  Sweet.