Main Menu

Judge Dredd Movie is Green Lit!

Started by w3bz, 19 December, 2008, 05:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

Mark Valley! Shit, why didn't I think of him? I'd say he could do it yeah.

Not to illustrate his Dredd suitability, cos the part is not in the least bit Dredd like, but Valley's old show Keen Eddie is really fun. A cop show about a Yank Detective working in London on an exchange deal kind of thing. Closest the Yanks have ever come to a realistic portrayal of England - closest, not close - and a supporting cast of top Brit talent including Colin Salmon as his boss and Julian Rhind-Tutt as his partner. And Sienna Miller.

He's not as good a choice as Michael Biehn of course but then few men would be?

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

vzzbux

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 13 May, 2010, 04:50:06 PM

Jds fingers on the right hand are doing something that is anatomically impossible unless you are double jointed or something like that.

The fingers are in that position because of the size of the trigger guard and it is a natural position when holding a rifle.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Emperor on 13 May, 2010, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: CraveNoir on 13 May, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 13 May, 2010, 03:22:37 PM
I was going to point out that there is no confirmation that is the image being used.

The "reporter" who presented it as coming from Canne is known to make stuff up -- at least that's what a reliable friend told me yesterday. The idea that it has anything whatsoever to do with a "movie poster" is laughable for very many reasons. Remember that the whole Jock "concept art" thing was made up by one of the sites and then did the rounds, so I share your suspicion that it may have no connection to the production whatsoever.

Well I am not sure about making things up but he deals in rumour and gossip from unnamed sources and can be way off.

I think the key in the piece is where Rich Johnston says "Could this be a mock up for a future movie poster?" The usual rule of thumb for such statements pitched as questions, is that the answer is "no". This side of Jock or someone else in the know confirming it I'd suggest it is highly unlikely to be the movie poster, recycling a trade paperback cover which doesn't have an iconic depiction of Dredd would be strange, especially given the depth of artistic talent they have to draw on (no pun intended), including artists who know the character like a brother (or grumpy old uncle anyway).

I do think it is possible they have a file there with all sorts of artistic representations of Dredd which they can show around to help people get a grasp of the character and that might be in it (it is also not beyond the realms of possibility they have advanced copies of the book to hand out), so it is possible this is doing the rounds at Cannes, but unlikely it is going to be the movie poster.

This is the Tim Bradstreet cover for Mega-City Masters 01, a Dredd compilation trade being launched in the US this August.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the movie as I well know, having comissioned the artwork.

So collective sigh assault rifle haters...

Peter Wolf

Quote from: vzzbux on 13 May, 2010, 07:40:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 13 May, 2010, 04:50:06 PM

Jds fingers on the right hand are doing something that is anatomically impossible unless you are double jointed or something like that.

The fingers are in that position because of the size of the trigger guard and it is a natural position when holding a rifle.

V

Perhaps but in my own case my fingers will not bend outwards at that angle and i have held rifles before.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mogzilla

SOD OFF!!! WE HAVE A NEW PROPER UP TO DATE THREAD!!!! ;)

Sepp Salerno

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 December, 2008, 06:09:48 PM
Hmm. So the rumours were true. Let's hope that 1) it gets to production, and; 2) it's not utter bollocks.
I'd like to 2nd that. I remember seeing the original when I was like 14 or something, and I couldnt even finish watching it. I remember thining "How the f*** have they managed to mess this up so badly? How have they changed it so much? And Why?"

Also, for me, Dredd don't take his helmet off

James Stacey

I had a massive argument with my then girlfriend outside the cinema cos I was angry and she thought it was good. We split up shortly after.

I noo you'd say that ... Fuck off !!!

Sepp Salerno

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 August, 2010, 09:56:45 PM
I had a massive argument with my then girlfriend outside the cinema cos I was angry and she thought it was good. We split up shortly after.

:lol:Good on you, passions what you had, ands it's totally what that film lacked.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 August, 2010, 09:56:45 PM

I knew you'd say that

Jared Katooie

Hate to say it, but lose the codpiece and the pointy bits on the helmet and that's a pretty decent-looking Dredd costume.

PsychoGoatee

I have to admit, I'm a fan of that Judge Dredd movie, but then again I'm also a fan of the Van Damme film TimeCop, and cheesy action in general. :D I am a Stallone fan though, I rewatched the Dredd DVD as part of a Stallone marathon last week leading to The Expendables.

And hey, the first 20 minutes or so of the movie is a decent take on Dredd I'd say. The pompous way Stallone plays Dredd captures a lot of the character, and his signature scowl. I'm saying it, Stallone is both a good actor and an inspired choice to play Dredd. Plus they do the classic gag of listing the many offenses, and hey here's another ten years!

That said, of course the movie is blasphemy as an adaptation of the comics, when Dredd loses his helmet and gets all emotional whatnot. Also, I think the single thing that bugged me the most was after Dredd gets his uniform back, he voluntarily takes off the shoulders in chase, as if they're slowing him down. You must never condemn your mighty shoulderpads Dredd!

But hey, at least it ends like The Day The Law Died. So it starts well... and ends well, anyway. :lol:

Needless to say though, this new movie stands to be much better, and more importantly much better for us fans.

JOE SOAP

Stallone looks more like a Power Ranger. Ditch the gold, the tights, the codpiece, the helmet and then ditch Stallone... we should now forget.

PsychoGoatee

1. Power Rangers look pretty cool.
2. If you ditched all those things he'd be nude. :P
3. Ditch the gold? What, do you want his shoulderpads to be black? ;)

Dredd is supposed to look somewhat bombastic, it keeps him from looking like a generic futuristic soldier character.

I do agree with half of what you said, hopefully the new uniform doesn't use tights and instead uses a tailored leather or something, and definitely ditch the codpiece.

Another thing about the Power Rangers comment, it reminds me, for some reason I can accept blatantly plastic futuristic stuff in movies. I just suspend my disbelief and think the plastic is some futuristic super strong material.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 20 August, 2010, 03:59:44 AM
1. Power Rangers look pretty cool.

If you're six maybe.

2. If you ditched all those things he'd be nude. :P

As I said, Stallone is ditched too.

3. Ditch the gold? What, do you want his shoulderpads to be black? ;)

They don't need to be gold plastic.

PsychoGoatee