Main Menu

Nemesis the Warlock - OVERSIZED, "Definitive edition (vol 1) - Due December 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 11 March, 2023, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

I think that it is a crying shame that the three 'Heresies' editions did not feature all the colour pages; which would in effect have rendered this forthcoming volume, and any subsequent volumes, redundant. Just a little more time and effort and we would have had our 'definitive' editions.

hellscrape

I do love my Heresies HC set, although the images are not as crisp as they are in the Titan paperbacks from years ago... and there aren't color pages in place... and that Weston short (Bride of the Warlock?) was never put in the right place... but it's these minor issues that keep me buying it over and over, it seems!

Max Headroom

hellscrape - as far as you know, is 2000ad popular in America? Or is it rather the case of a small but loyal following? I would be interested to know.

Southstreeter

Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 04:38:51 AMOh man, if these have the colored pages intact, this would be my fourth version of some of these tales!!!
What are you, some kind of amateur? I used to have some of this in original progs, some obscure hardcover, phone books, UC, deviant edition and more recently Heresies. I did think it too many, however, so all I have now are the Heresies (and Deviant, for the colour variant) which I think should do me!

hellscrape

Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 April, 2023, 01:51:20 PMhellscrape - as far as you know, is 2000ad popular in America? Or is it rather the case of a small but loyal following? I would be interested to know.

I'm not one to vouch for all of America, but 2000ad books are rarely found in comic shops and never in bookstores. Most of my comic reading friends scoff at Judge Dredd, much like I did for years (thank you, Stallone!). Everyone knows Bolland on Dredd, but that seems to be the extent of most people's knowledge.

Quote from: Southstreeter on 02 April, 2023, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 04:38:51 AMOh man, if these have the colored pages intact, this would be my fourth version of some of these tales!!!
What are you, some kind of amateur? I used to have some of this in original progs, some obscure hardcover, phone books, UC, deviant edition and more recently Heresies. I did think it too many, however, so all I have now are the Heresies (and Deviant, for the colour variant) which I think should do me!

Most definitely am a newbie. I have the Eagle comics, Heresies HC, and the Titan softcovers. I passed the phone books along once I had the Heresies books, but sadly, they've not even bothered to open the books.

IndigoPrime

I find it a pity so many folks in the US scoff at the likes of Dredd and even 2000 AD, given how many of their favourite creators wrote (and, in some cases, still write) for the strip/mag. Here's hoping Best of 2000 AD moves the needle at least a little.

hellscrape

Don't mean to detract from the Nemesis book, but it is silly...
Bolland is great!
John Wagner has several movies under his belt!
Alan Grant wrote Batman for a long, long time!
Al Ewing finished what is considered to be a Hulk masterpiece!
Peter Milligan is well-regarded for Shade, Enigma, X-Statix!
Alan Moore and Grant Morrison need no introduction!
Kev O'Neill illustrated the well-regarded League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!
Carlos Ezquerra and Garth Ennis both became common names in the USA with Preacher! And John McCrea with Hitman!

But all of a sudden they are working on a 2000ad comic and interest flatlines in the USA. And for all the bollocks about people not knowing where to start with Dredd, it somehow is not an issue for Marvel and DC characters that have been around for 10-30 years MORE than Dredd himself.

Here, we seem to have the superhero folk (who are mostly DC/Marvel exclusive but also read peripheral American superheroes from Image, IDW, etc), the hipster crowd (Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly), and the manga crowd (who are also mostly into the mainstream products like One Piece, DBZ, and Attack on Titan). 2000ad seems to somehow not fit any of these slots, and therefore it's ignored. It doesn't help that so many great books are out of print as well. Getting the Stront Case Files cost an arm and a leg, as did Charley's War 2!

With that ramble over, let's get back to Nem! CREDO!!!

IndigoPrime

Good point regarding Marvel. People do often seem confused intimidated by Dredd's 45+ year history but will dip into DC/Marvel. Perhaps that's just down to relative familiarity.

The Monarch

an american friend of mine has just gotten into 2000ad thanks to the best of 2000ad and shakara of all stories and he told me about the nightmare of trying to get the first book of shakara out in the wilds he had to pay a pretty penny to get a second hand copy of it!

Max Headroom

Now available to pre-order from the Webshop, does anyone know if this edition will feature the missing colour spreads and, perhaps, slightly better repro than the Heresies?? I might be seriously tempted if it does.

IndigoPrime

I'm going to pretend I didn't see the exclusive special edition hardcover version, because I DO NOT NEED another copy of Nemesis the Warlock. I don't. I really don't.

Leigh S

The big question is willthis avoid the problems of earlier versions or just blindly follow the Casefiles, with stories omitted or out of sequence (the main issues I recall being missing Tomb of Torquemada and the Bride of the Warlock story needing to be inserted at the right point to fit the narrative?)

Max Headroom

The blurb accompanying Book One of the series speaks of "...a comprehensive collection of the complete storyline in order" so this may alleviate your fears of omissions or things placed out of order, Leigh S. As for my earlier question, about the colour repro, maybe a helpful member of the esteemed editorial team (if they are reading this) could comment if no one on the forum seems to know?

IndigoPrime

Bride of the Warlock wound me up a bit, given that I'd chatted with the then editor about the sequence. I was glad to see that corrected in the Hachette volumes.

Colin YNWA