Main Menu

Prog 1410: City on Fire!

Started by Leigh S, 04 October, 2004, 05:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Kelly

Enjoyable prog all round.  Not too offended by the Future Shock, but Asylum does semd a bit disjointed...

But can I just say - Tek Judges!!  With hexagon badges... and very identifiable med judges.

Dan - loving the days when you could really tell a judge by its uniform...

Trout

This thread's been lost a little among the con frenzy, so I'm glad to bump it up a bit.

I loved the cover.

Dredd is fantastic, still.

The Future Shock was fine, but I've read better in Futurequake.

Robohunter's okay.

Asylum would have lost my interest entirely if it wasn't for Boo Cook's work.

Stront is utterly wonderful. I really, really enjoyed it.
However, I weep for Cod Johnson. We never knew him, but he will be missed.

sob!

- Trout

Dudley

Still not here.  Getting upset and fretful now.

Smiley

That cover's awful. Bit of a snack prog all round.

Queen Firey-Bou

youre all crazy, the progs of late are SOooooo thrill tastic its ridiculous ! i never know whats happening next. whats not to like?

I love aslum probably mostest, other than dreddy...  i'm on edge of seat all the way thru, i care about the characters ... and i'll be really pissed if that short haired bloke dies.

being exposed to 1410 in the pub in a non ritualised reading cover to cover capacity has done nothing to damage the pure thrills. mmmm.

thrillpowerseeker

hmmm this weeks cover has certainly polarized opinion...2 camps really..Fantastic or shite..I suppose it's really whether or not your for or against computer enhanced artwork..me I'm all for it ..Dredd was particularly striking but the fire motif is being a tad overused..I'd definately like to see more of Nick Percival IN the prog as oppossed to ON it..

Queen Firey-Bou

nahhhh, i don't care how the art work is produced at all...initially,

initially its about how the story looks n reads & runs... i'm sucked into the world & characters ( or not as the case may be). its the second read where i go "ooooo look how that picture is made, ahh look he's made it all purple to signify flashbacks " or what-ever, i don't give a moneys wether its computerised or scratched on a cave wall, theres good & bad whichever method.

like what i heard of Frazers masterclass thingy at the weekend, illustrated to me the point, that the computer is simply another tool. he very clearly creates using classic painterly approaches, painting techniques, layers brushstrokes, using a digital medium..compare this to other PS users , theres a myriad of styles out there. Sure theres a danger of an artist getting off on photoshop & loosing sight of real imagery, but i'm not into drawing distinctions of good or bad according to what kind o paint/pencil or pixel is used.  

Dredds chin on the cover was a bit wobbly tho. spose mine would be in a rad zone.

Trout

"I love aslum probably mostest, other than dreddy... i'm on edge of seat all the way thru, i care about the characters ... and i'll be really pissed if that short haired bloke dies."

I'd believe that if you could remember the character's name, Bou.

- Trout

VampiraJen

wow.  didn't expect a nuke to go off in ep 2.  dredd's reaction was fab.  go henry flint!  woo!

Oddboy

I was talking to Boo about computer colouring on Saturday - I hadn't realized that Asylum2 was digi-coloured until I saw the still black & white original artwork on the table in front of him.
He reckoned it would have looked pretty similar if he had painted it, but it would have taken longer.

Better set your phaser to stun.

longmanshort

Um ... am I alone in not receiving my prog yet?
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dudley

Smiley

it's really whether or not your for or against computer enhanced artwork

Got nothing to do with computers. It's awful because it's dull, smudged, ugly and flat. Flat since he's drawn only one side, then mirrored it and joined the two halves, and tried to hide that with a few token differences and a ton of blurring. Whether that's rushed or lazy, it is simply bad art.

Still, each to their own.

WoD

Nice prog, I'd echo most of what's been said..Dredd and Strontium Dog both rocked.  

I also think that this is the best Robo Hunter story for ages and it has me engaged.  There's a lot of blankness to the backgrounds though which I find distracting, but I did love the mini-lizard and the way it was *walking* - very nice.

Asylum 2 I've clicked with as well, both with the story and now the art, looking forward to the rest of the story.  Did notice that the filter mask of the soldier seemed to appear and dissapear though, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

The FS was average for the story and the art didn't do it for me.

Good prog overall though.

Satanist

The thing that struck me about the cover is how much Dredd looks like old Clint Eastwood, apart from that its ok, nowt special.

Dredd - This is effing top stuff. Even if it wasnt at the start of every prog its what I'd read first as I can hardly wait to see what happens next.

FS - Poor twist,poor art.

Robohunter - Now I love the originals but this doesnt seem to work. Hopefully he'll get his body back in time for a third story as his daughters no match for some classic Sam.

Asylum - I'm gonna have to check tonight but I thought this jumped a bit as I couldnt remember last week, not the best of signs. Nice art though.

Stronty - The only thing in the prog that could maybe distract me from Dredd at the mo. Mr Wagner I salute you.

Overall a good prog with a couple of great stories.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?