Main Menu

Meg 375: Crazy Train

Started by IndigoPrime, 13 August, 2016, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 30 August, 2016, 12:14:42 AM
Oh sweet Jovus I'm in partial agreement with BPP on the Meg review thread! What fresh hell is this.

Then its time to rethink and agree with me then isn't it... come on have a think...

Frank

Quote from: BPP on 29 August, 2016, 11:20:33 PM
So now when Dredd is taking an absolute pounding he's thinking 'oh well, I'll be a bit narked having to get off the street for some rejuve'

Dredd's been taking ten in the Rapi-healTM for as long as I've been reading. See lengthy disquisition above for why I thought Dredd's vulnerability to age - his Achilles' heel - was a dramatically interesting exception.

Quote from: BPP on 29 August, 2016, 11:20:33 PM
Seems a bit PSI rod for your back in the long run.

Yep. Recent Dredd writers have used DREDD LIES IN A BROKEN HEAP, BLEEDING OUT FROM MGSW as a final panel as regularly as TB Grover finished his strips with Dredd making a dad joke.

I'm not saying writers shouldn't mortally wound Dredd anymore, just that we've all seen that so many times it's no longer a cliffhanger. Carroll got round that by killing Dredd outside MC1, away from Med Div's toys.

Addendum: It was suggested upthread that Dredd's had these sorts of treatments for years, but complete cellular rejuvenation is a new technology. Prog 1699's A House For Aldous Mayou describes it as an exciting (potential) breakthrough.

Fungus

Prog 1699, eh?
That puts more meat on the - rejuvenated - bones of the argument, pleasingly.
Excellent work, Frank.

Frank

It wasn't actually invented in that prog, buddy - [spoiler]Mayou was working on the model house his dead daughter asked him to mend[/spoiler]. I cited it to illustrate the technology didn't exist six years ago, so this isn't something Dredd's done before.

Look how much he was moaning about the aches and pains of age and his time coming to an end.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tordelback on 30 August, 2016, 12:14:42 AM
Oh sweet Jovus I'm in partial agreement with BPP on the Meg review thread!

Always two there are; no more, no less.

Hawkmumbler

Not surprised to see the Dredd has been such a dividing serial, I for one figured this was going to happen sooner or later anyway, but was more surprised Wagner didn't want to take a stab at it himself. As for the tale itself I was resoundingly none plused, but neither was I insulted by it.

Blunt and ROTD are both chuffing nice, lovely stuff....

But jesus how AMAZING is Lawless? Damn damn and more dman it's just much too fine.

Geoff

I've only just had the chance to read Carousel.. and leaving aside the question of whether, and to what extent, Dredd should rejuvenate and the whole roundhead and cavalier business I'm left wondering about something...

Someone has just attempted a highly organised assassination attempt on Dredd:

1) How/where/from whom did they get the information about his whereabouts and condition?

2) Who has the BALLS to do it?

(and a compelling enough motive to organise it, although I suppose there are many people who want Dredd dead..)

TordelBack

Good one, Geoff. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that aspect. Standing gangster bounty of X million creds though, isn't there?

Frank

Quote from: Geoff on 31 August, 2016, 09:12:54 PM
How/where/from whom did they get the information about his whereabouts and condition?

The girl says they staked out every clinic in the city. They 'figured' Dredd was due a treatment.

Geoff

Quote from: Frank on 31 August, 2016, 11:03:15 PM
How/where/from whom did they get the information about his whereabouts and condition?

The girl says they staked out every clinic in the city. They 'figured' Dredd was due a treatment.

Oh yes, that'd be some operation though and mean Dredd's rejuves were common knowledge...still leaves the interesting question of who..

BPP

Quote from: Frank on 31 August, 2016, 11:03:15 PM

Must have been long-term readers of this forum!
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Frank

Quote from: Geoff on 31 August, 2016, 11:21:12 PM
that'd be some operation though and mean Dredd's rejuves were common knowledge

Depends how many clinics offer that treatment. There might only be four.

I didn't get the impression this was a regular thing for Dredd - the tek's certainly explaining it to Dredd like it's his first time (although that's for the benefit of the reader).

It's framed as a response to Dredd getting killed the other week - and that's what made the gang reckon Hershey would sign Dredd up for a makeover. An inside man would have been less coincidence-y, but there you go.

JOE SOAP

Maybe resources is the issue at this point but like sleep machines and cloning labs I would've thought Justice Dept. would be doing rejuves behind closed doors rather some private clinic.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 September, 2016, 01:24:58 AM

Maybe resources is the issue at this point but like sleep machines and cloning labs I would've thought Justice Dept. would be doing rejuves behind closed doors rather some private clinic.

Ask Maitland in Accounts.
DDT did a job on me

Frank

By scrapping Med Division and contracting out health care provision for Justice Department employees to the highest bidder, Hershey has ensured she gets the best service at the lowest cost - WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW US HEALTH CARE WORKS TODAY!

Also, the level of security at Carousel is probably greater than the Department could spare at the moment. They've got two Robocops on the door.