Main Menu

SPOILERS Shaun of the Dead SPOILERS

Started by Oddboy, 12 April, 2004, 02:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

A thread for those who have seen Shaun Of The Dead (the film) and have read Shaun Of The Dead (the Mary comic story).

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Best film ever.
Re-reading the 2K strip afterwards, I got SOOO much more out of both the comic & the film.
The penultimate panel of the comic showing Mary opening a gate is easily reckognisable as Shaun's front gate, the guy in the pub she's talking to is the trampy guy with the dog, the fat man following her is her fellow 'Z'-word in Shaun's back garden.

And the colour scheme running through the film was really vivid! Just as Frazer's art shows, everything in the film is red or black or white - heck they've even got the White Stripes' Elephant 12" vinyl album in they're front room. Most of the cars are red... the uniforms are white & red... "You've got red on you!"...

It's just a great film, okay?

Better set your phaser to stun.

Woolly

I loved 'Fulci's Restaurant'! Class!
The Day-of-the-Dead death scene was also awesome!!

But what really got me was the emotional bits. When he had to shoot his own mother through the head, or when his step-dad tells him how much he really loves him, all handled perfectly.

The only minor gripe i had is that i left wanting just a tiny bit more gore, although the gore we did get was of a superb quality!

Cannot wait for a DVD release, especially if extras are good.

Mr D

It was. The Perfect. Movie.
Pegg is a genius. My girlfriend hates zombies, horror movies, and even Spaced, but loved it SO much.

I couldn't stop laughing. People looked at me when I laughed at dismemberment, but hey! The Queen part was genius, and I loved the lines throughout that were throwaway but so funny like 'Kill the Queen!' 'What?' 'I mean the jukebox'

So many refernces just tossed in for us lot, but that didn't interfere with the plot. I loved the part at the end, where the z-words had become part of popular culture (Zombies From Hell and the service industry report being my faves) and also what lurks in his shed.

What references did you pick up on? I'll come back when I've setlled down, but straight away there are a few I can remember:

28 Days Later (Rage infected monkeys on the news at the end)
Day Of The Dead (Thingy's dismemberment death)

Erm.... Bugger, mind's gone blank. I'll be back though.

Best. Movie. Ever.

Mr D

Oh, oh, the soundtrack also. Great stuff on there...

And Night Of The Living Dead. when they were driving, the woman on the radio said the line from the news in NOTLD about the dead rising up and eating the flesh of the living etc. Why are these coming to me with such difficulty?? I barely shut up during the film cos I was spotting things...

Scottiepunk

What a bloody fantastic film. I'm not a great lover of Z films like alot of the others here and never thought I would laugh so much at a Z film, but I laughed all the way through this.  Just so many good bits to list them all here, but some very memorable ones, the Queen bit in the pub, Mary in the garden, the TV bits at the end. Even little throw away bits like "Hey Niggers"!!

I agree the Something about Mary strip makes much more sense now, it fits perfectly with the film.

Simon Pegg, you the man!!

Jared Katooie

aBSOLUTELY. bRILLIANT.

(With psycho caps!)

Tiplodocus

Well, I can't be quite as charitable as the rest of you but I thought that was OK.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

I was particularly amused by the zombie bashing to Queen and the bit in the garden where they are picking which records to throw.

I did think it took a bit too long to get started and that the joke about inane life squabbles taking priority over zombies attacking was a bit overplayed.  The director also seemed to be singularly useless at injecting any tension into the proceedings - you always knew that the zombies would stand off long enough for the comedy routine to be played out and then they would attack. And Dylan Moran's exit was telegraphed with all the subtelty of a guest on Trisha dissing her ex who is now sleeping with her mother.

Having moaned about all of that I thought the ending (especially the little news reports) was good as well. An above average film that's worth a visit (bit I think I preferred the Dawn of the Dead).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Pete Wells

I loved this film, it was a real emotional rollercoaster which has had me remembering little snippets for days after. I thought the build up was really well handled, particularly:

The way certain goups of people were potrayed as zombies right from the off (the commuters on the bus, gangs of youths etc.)

When Shaun was absently channel hopping yet the snippets of sound from each channel still told the story of what was happening (even Vernon Kaye!)

The two similar but chillingly different hangover trips to the corner shop, especially his slip in the second one.

The constant sirens going on and the pigeon guy at the park.

Things in the middle I loved were:

"You've got red on you..."

Throwing a mug tree at Mary!

Shit swingball.

The great bunch of cameos that were the other gang (George Dawes, Office's Tim, Spaced Daisy and Marsha, LOG Reece Sheersmith - class!)  

The resorvoir dogs style Mexican Stand off, but with bottles.

How emotional the sad bits were (Philips death speech, mum and her flowers, Shaun and Ed's arguement and then Ed's final fart...)

Shaun and Yvonne (Jess Stevenson) nearly kissing made the Spaced geek in me really happy!

At the End:

The cool TV montage.

Many, many other bits that are eluding me at the moment! It's one of thise great films where you keep remembering things that happened and smiling. Can't wait to see it again!

I was reading an interview with Pegg who said that the DVD will be packed with extras including an audio commentry by zombies!

One question though, can someone tell me what Ed's ringtone was?

Pete.

The Monarch

Genius loved it so much i'm going to see the thing again

Noisybast

I thought it was great. When I asked my girlfriend what she thought if it, she replied "pants". I think she meant she needed a new pair, judging by the number of times she leapt out of her seat during the film...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

JTurner

Everyone's mentioned all of the best bits, so I won't bother writing them again. This really was the best film I've seen in ages.

Oh, the naked housmate reappearing in the pub at the end cracked me up.

By the way, what was the game that they were playing on the PS2?

Dudley

Half-decent interview with Dawn from The Office, that bloke off Spaced and 2000AD's newest script droid in Jack this month.  Just the right length to read in the newsagents, too...

Scottiepunk

I've been reliably informed by the 14 yearold son of a friend, who I took to see SOTD, that the game is Time Splitters II, which contains Zombies apparently!!

Quirkafleeg

The trivia section of the IMDB list of Shaun confirms it is Time Splitters... and also comes up this gem:

"Nick Frost (Ed) apparently kept his genitals shaved throughout the production to create a genuine need to scratch that the character demanded."

Which I think comes under way to much information...

Cthulouis

one thing that has been niggling at my mind, who was Shauns girlfriend played by, and whats she been in before?