Main Menu

Sleeping Dogs?

Started by JamesC, 19 August, 2012, 05:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Anyone been playing this new open world game?

I'm really enjoying it so far - I think I'm about 4 hours in and the story and characters are really good. The best thing is the fighting - I've had some great kung-fu dust ups.

I'd definitely recommend giving this game a go if you're a fan of Hong Kong action! 

mogzilla

i wasnt that impressed meself kept getting me ars kicked , the batman style counter move didnt seem to be responsive and the graphics seemed to me to be a bit rougher than i'd expected hence the headache. i'll wait for gta 5

JamesC

Just out of interest are you playing on 360, PS3 or PC?
I have the 360 version and have found the combat the high point of the game - you can just keep 'Y' held down as soon as the baddies flash red and the counter will work

Gothmog

About 8 hours in myself (mainly roaming around collecting pickups and stealing cars).  Story's pretty good so far with some good voice acting along with some humourous stuff for the vendors and pedestrians.

Combat works mostly.  It's heavily melee based, I only found a gun about 5-6 hours in.  As above the counter system is the easiest way to win fights, obviously going for an Arkham Asylum/City style.  One odd thing I've found with it are the grappler enemies who you can't grab without stunning and aren't affecting by normal attacks.  The idea is to use heavy attacks against them which work fine if I meet them in the open world but in scripted events they seem strangely resilient to heavy attacks, even a combo you can learn that seems desgined to take them down more easily

Driving's good, cars/bikes have a nice change in handling as you go up/down the ranks and I certainly prefer it to the bouncy feel that GTA4 had.

Negatives so far:
If you get a side mission where you have to chase someone down they're basically scripted so you can't catch them until they get to their mates to trigger a fight.  I found one where you chase a guy through a park area where you can actually get in front of him but the game won't let you interact with him until the designated fight point.
Relationships seem to be something that were intended to have a bigger role but were cut back.  They're basically a small event, not even really a date then the game acts as if both parties have a long standing committment.  Some misogeny in there as well because you can date/sleep with as many women as you want but when one of them finds someone else that's not allowed.
Some of the story seems to have bits cut as well.  Eight hours in and I've just got a mission from my boss to help out with his wedding preportations that he's really stressed about but has never been previously mentioned even in passing.

Goaty

Demo out for PS3... worth to try before get the game?

Goaty

JamesC

I'd say it's definitely worth a try on the demo if you like these types of game.

I've payed a bit more of it and am still really enjoying it. I hate the triads though - they're a right bunch of pricks. Can't wait to bust 'em!

Durendal

So I can grab people and stuff them into the trunk of a car and drive around listening to them scream.
This game is great

Keef Monkey

Tried the demo, it's pretty good and more than enough to entice me to pick it up sometime. Looks gorgeous, combat feels good and the whole Infernal Affairs-esque undercover cop angle is way more interesting than your average sandboxy set-up. Might wait until after the Borderlands 2 dust has settled though, I'm trying to clear my gaming slate for that!

ThryllSeekyr

I've just ordered this game from Electronics Boutique for the Xbox - 360.

I hope it's worth it.

bluemeanie

Played the PC version, loved it
Pretty much GTA Hong Kong with a bit of Batman fighting thrown in

The hopping vampire DLC was a lot of fun too

ThryllSeekyr

Hmm.....

Tell me more about the Vampire DLC?

shaolin_monkey

I'm tempted to get this just for the Monkey DLC.

bluemeanie

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 17 September, 2013, 10:36:58 AM
Hmm.....

Tell me more about the Vampire DLC?

It's VERY tongue in cheek and deliberately B Movie. Basically it puts a Halloween spin on the whole game with everything in cool creepy lighting and loads of the characters you kill in the main game coming back as vengeful ghosts. Also...hopping vampires.

Trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_SlZtHxXE

ThryllSeekyr

Looks interesting.......

I might play the vanilla version first though.