Main Menu

Do Bears...

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 04 December, 2007, 01:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

erm... did you mean...http://www.publicliability.com.au/images/artists/aram-chapers.jpg">

Tweak72

sorry left the "M" out i ment...http://www.aaparty.co.uk/images/champers.jpg">
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Peter Wolf

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z122/peterwolf_album/Picture17.png" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

Rehearsal  time.

[aaarrrgggh !]

"Claiming that the artist owes some sort of debt to the protestor, or is "stealing his thunder", or is simply repeating something that the protestor has said, would be like suggesting that Van Gogh owes a debt to All Sunflowers Everywhere, or that Piccasso should've left all his money to the soldiers who bombed Guernica, or that Andy Warhol should've paid millions to Campbell's Soup."

That much is true but in this case as Tweak correctly pointed out this particular example of borrowing leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as i really do feel that he has been exploited by the "artist" here and his champagne swilling panel of judges and elitist art intelligensia.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Peter Wolf

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z122/peterwolf_album/Picture17.png" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

Funt Solo

::"champagne swilling panel of judges and elitist art intelligensia"

Ah.  Most of the complaints, like this one, seem to be against intelligence, thought and creativity.  How dare those artists use their brains!  

How dare they waste time on artistic playfulness and frivolity (typed the comic fan who spends a lot of time posting inconsequential nonsense, which is sometimes even about the core topic of a 32-page collection of arguably inconsequential nonsense).

And how dare they drink champagne (typed the comic fan who probably enjoys a drink, or at least drug of their choice as much as the next person)!  

Eh?  It'll be book burning next.  (By alluding to nazi doctrine, I win some kind of prize.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

SamuelAWilkinson

Godwin's Law strikes again!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Funt Solo

This is art:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/regarding_mussolini.png" />
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

LARF

Your webfoo lets you down Padwanhttp://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/regarding_mussolini.png">

TordelBack

As a fan of Palaeolithic art, this type of discussion puts me in mind of the frequently later hand-stencils that accompany or overlie (deface?) many of the magnificent animal-paintings of the Upper Palaeolithic in France and Spain.  Where's the craft, man, where's the skill in painting around your own hand, or putting in a line of dots, compared to the mastery of form and colour displayed by the beast-painters?  

And yet, when you actually go to see these things at the remove of a score of millennia, how much more interesting these additional marks make the interpretation of the overall canvas, what they might say about the role of art, of change, of people and their societies.  

Ignatzmonster

Peterwolf you worry too much about elites. These artists are merely trying to reach the same goal you are, something moving, that excites, that resonates. It's like hip-hop listeners denigrating a classical performance or vis a versa. I demand you attend if it's still going on, and if not just hang out at the Tate for a day. You are too much "principles over perception."

Indignation is a cheap emotion, it distills to self praise, and never has to pay the cost of understanding. You are better than that peterwolf. Go avail yourself to a different world.

Ignatzmonster

Anyway all my anger is focused on everyone mentioning Adrian Tomine's collection in the top comics of the year, which was good but three and a half stars at best. Not a singe soul, however, has mentioned the mind blowing Nemesis collections. Not even in the UK! WTF!!

I haven't been this upset since Blankets won the Eisner and Cerebus' Last Day didn't get nominated.

Peter Wolf

More inconsequential nonsense:

I thought i had made myself clear about this already.

The whole point of art is that you and i can take it or leave it.That means that if i dont like it then i dont have to.Same goes for you.

Theres plenty more art to like and i hate to say it but the Turner Prize isnt the centre of the universe as far as art is concerned although they might like to think otherwise.

I have defended and criticised this artist so i have tried to be fair.

I dont have to accept that Turner Prize art is good simply because it exists in the same way that i dont want to read a book that has won the booker prize because it has won an award.

Also i criticised this artists motives and i criticised his waste of a platform that he could have used to explain his art properly.

Its a media circus.

Of course i am not knocking intelligence.I usually criticise lack of intelligence.

I am critical of the turner prize as it exists to be critcised .

Like yourself i am opinionated but i cant help it if my opinions arent what everyone wants to hear or the same as yours for example.

Perhaps i shouldnt criticise it at all but instead just accept it passively and without question.

It won an award so it must be good.

Matt Timson

"You're the first person to throw a wobbly when people take your words out of context"

I'm confused, Linton.  Where did I take your words out of context?  I simply asked you a question about what you were saying.

"but when you get called on doing exactly the same thing, you still get to throw a wobbly, and call people "twat face" and "dick" into the bargain."

I called you twatface because you were trying to be clever at my expense- and you know it.  I called you a dick because you tried the same thing again, rather than just admit that you'd accused me of saying something I didn't.  I'm reasonably sure you can work that one out for yourself as well.

"You're horribly abusive and a ridiculous hypocrite. You also have a smarmy fan club. Well done"

I'll hold my hands up to being horribly abusive- and even to being reasonably popular with certain members of the board (and people in general, if it comes to that- jealousy is a terrible thing, young man), but you can stick your hypocrisy up your arse.  I'm certainly no more hypocritical than you are, sonny.

By and large, there are two types of people I'm abusive towards on this board:  people I like- and the horribly pompous variety that just get on my tits.

What really irritates me in particular about you, Linton, is that you wouldn't be having this conversation with Si Spurrier or Gordon Rennie (for example) because you are such a monumental suck-up.

And a dick, of course.
Pffft...

LARF

Oh JEB what a wonderful rhetoric (suck), and a joyful jestful critique (suck), oh abuse me please (suck).

I love you (suck)

Peter Wolf

Peterwolf you worry too much about elites. These artists are merely trying to reach the same goal you are, something moving, that excites, that resonates. It's like hip-hop listeners denigrating a classical performance or vis a versa. I demand you attend if it's still going on, and if not just hang out at the Tate for a day. You are too much "principles over perception."

Indignation is a cheap emotion, it distills to self praise, and never has to pay the cost of understanding. You are better than that peterwolf. Go avail yourself to a different world.

I see your point and i dont want to fall into that trap of the "thats not real art ! "and frothing at the mouth with indignation and lack of understanding.

"And if not just hang out at the Tate for a day."

Thats not a bad idea.