Started by Molch-R, 23 May, 2012, 03:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Goaty

I wonder which timeline it will be set in?

Bolt-01

Iirc there was a panel from this in the 'coming soon' box on the input page. It shows Red in the classic 'Bitch' uniform and has Johnny and Wulf in the BG.

That would make this Durham's first appearance- timeline wise, as she didn't feature in SD till after Wulf died.

Hawkmumbler

You can't go wrong with a bit of Esquare drawn ass, can you? And Durham (Mrs. Red, that is) has the best out there.

Mardroid

Quote from: Goaty on 23 May, 2012, 04:46:07 PM

In the blurb at he start of last week's prog it stated that this would be early in Red's career as an S/D agent.

Mr.Fastrope

Link Prime

Sigh...don't we all yearn for a 2000AD where this wasn't even a feasible question?
Young Anderson, Rogue Trooper flashbacks, ret-conned Strontium Dog etc etc etc.
If the only aspect to the Prog referencing years gone by was the title, i'd be a happier Earthlet.

I'm left pretty cold by the prospect of flashback Durham Red. Partially cause it will be predictable & instantly forgettable.
No problem with some more Ezquerra art work mind you.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 May, 2012, 10:03:37 PM
I'm left pretty cold by the prospect of flashback Durham Red. Partially cause it will be predictable & instantly forgettable.
No problem with some more Ezquerra art work mind you.

I'm going to be very, very rude and suggest that for a while now Alan has been in the business of returning to his back-catalogue of characters without any clear of idea of what to do with them. 

Now as a seminal 2000AD creator and very talented writer Alan has more than earned the right to do this, and for me to extend him the benefit of the doubt in advance, but based on Samantha Slade, Anderson and Young Middenface I'll be very pleasantly surprised if this is more than going through the motions.

Still looking forward to the art, mind.

JOE SOAP

Sigh...don't we all yearn for a 2000AD where this wasn't even a feasible question?
If the only aspect to the Prog referencing years gone by was the title, i'd be a happier Earthlet.

A confusion of issues though, it's still all the one timeline for just about every character in 2000AD, there are no alternate timelines in 2000AD. The only one really is Friday, if he is at all.

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 May, 2012, 10:45:41 PM

I did kind of lump em all together, but I guess the point is this: I'd prefer progression rather than flashbacks / ret-cons.
I think the new Strontium Dog is a ret-con though isnt it? It kinda disregarded pretty much all of 'Strontium Dogs' and subsequently the Peter Hogan / Dan Abnett Durham Red stuff.
I think. I shouldn't have to think. About that stuff.

A confusion of issues though, it's still all the one timeline for just about every character in 2000AD, there are no alternate timelines in 2000AD. The only one really is Friday, if he is at all.

Spaceghost

I read the recent 'Island of the Damned' story that was re-printed in the Meg floppy last night to prepare for this new story. I'd never read it before and really enjoyed it. If the new story is anywhere as good, it'll be worth reading.

I kind of agree with Link Prime though, enough with the flashbacks already. I'd be more receptive to a story featuring Red and how she fits in with the new version of Johhny's history and how his resurrection has affected her.

Also, Tordelback has a point about Alan Grant. Like the T-Man, I don't want to be rude (although I'm more comfortable about being rude than lovely, lovely Tordelback) but I'm struggling to recall a story written by Alan Grant from the last 10 years that was worth reading.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

The Adventurer

Samantha Slade Robo-Hunter was pretty good. There. I said it.  (though it could have really used with retiring Hoggie and Stogie, we were almost there when they got destroyed. But then they were conveniently rebuilt. ugg) Anthony Williams did a really great job of it when Gibson bowed out. I could have kept reading that. But at least Samantha Slade was a continuation of what had come before. Another flashback yarn (especially with Cadet Anderson an ongoing thing at the moment) does seem kinda... I don't know? Pointless? Also I'm not sure I like it when anyone not Wager writes Strontium Dog.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Thinking of changing my username to Lovely Lovely Tordel B and affecting a Droog swagger.

Quote from: The Adventurer on 24 May, 2012, 08:24:23 AM
Samantha Slade Robo-Hunter was pretty good.

It started off well and as a big Robohunter fan I was initially enthusiastic, but as it went on I just didn't feel anyone's heart was in it.  Grant Goggans can usually persuade me of most things, but I've read all his many celebrations of the strip and still can't get behind it.  I do hope for Goggans' sake Samantha does make it to France one day, but I won't be holding my breath.

And yes, as usual Anthony Williams did a top job in leaping from the subs bench, but even the great Gibson's work had become more and more perfunctory as the series proceeded. 

I see a similar problem with Cadet Anderson - here's the interesting new setup, here's some very nice art on every page, but what exactly is it about the story that makes Alan want to tell it and (more importantly!) makes me want to read it?  It fills pages but doesn't do much else.  I hope Durham Read doesn't leave the same questions hanging. 

Again, I have to emphasise that Alan Grant is one of the all-time greats, and when he's good he's beyond great.  I'd just like to see a bit more direction in his recent projects.

Proudhuff

have to fully agree with TB, been thinking that for a while now.
Young Anderson has confirmed it, if it was a character forming big event in her life or something that made her who she is/isn't i could understand but the current YA seems to be a by the numbers tale. S

Sorry to say it but given the challenging and interesting stuff in the Prog: Dredd's D0C, Zultan of Zilk, Zombo, Savage, Absolm etc Mr Grant hasn't been hitting them out the park for a while. (now this is where someone pipes up and says he's been in hospital fighting some dreadful lurgy  :-[)
DDT did a job on me