Main Menu

Prog 1802 - Wanna Confess?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 22 September, 2012, 09:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDGE BURNS

Great cover pic this week.  I much prefer to see DREDD on the cover than any other storyline.

Anyway this weeks DREDD is a scene setter for future developments I think.  The Space corps think htey can rule over the judges?? pah .

ABC WARRIORS....awesome art love it.

Twisted tales was nice to see again. Quite a good one this time.

Grey Area and Brass Sun...quite forgettable...They just dont jump out at me and grab my attention , so I am skipping these 2 from now on.

TheMightyOne

Is there a way to know when to send  a letter into tharg?

A.Cow

Still don't go for Twisted Tales, and I think that this week's was a masterclass in how to confuse and lose readers.  One minute it looks like only [spoiler]one chick[/spoiler] survived, the next it was two.  Then the [spoiler]passing of time[/spoiler] was poorly handled, and I have no clue why [spoiler]they all mutated[/spoiler] toward the end.  Not my cup of tea at all.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 September, 2012, 10:06:13 AM
Yeah I was thinking it was MacNeil, really looked like him. Alas ballet class meant no chance to have a better look.

Same here, but without the bit about looking at a ballet class.
Although, that does have its attraction*...

* (Note: just in case anybody gets worried, I mean adult ballet -- not Gary Glitter territory).

IndigoPrime

A good issue, but 'Tharg's' dismissal of Zoe Arnold-Bennett was one of the most disappointing things I've read in the magazine, especially given the discussion that went on here about Lenny Zero. Left a very sour taste. Really wish I'd skipped the letters this week.

Buttonman

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 September, 2012, 10:59:09 PM
A good issue, but 'Tharg's' dismissal of Zoe Arnold-Bennett was one of the most disappointing things I've read in the magazine, especially given the discussion that went on here about Lenny Zero. Left a very sour taste. Really wish is skipped the letters this week.

Glad your last sentence was non-sensical as it was looking a bit negative there.

Quote from: TheMightyOne on 22 September, 2012, 07:34:12 PM
Is there a way to know when to send  a letter into tharg?

Tharg runs about one nerve centre a month so if your letter is based on one particular Prog it's down to luck. If you have a general point you'll have a better chance as you could slot into any input page. Dreddlines in the Megazine is more or less a fixture so if you dream of seeing your name in lights that's your best bet. See the 'Writing to Tharg' thread in the 'General' section for more detailed analysis - I'd link it but I'm on a crappy notebook in Spain that regularly drops ou...

Cactus

Loved the cover, and I too assumed it was a McNeill piece. If Mr Willsher's reading this, that should be taken as a compliment!  :-[

I thought the Twisted Tale was a good story but the actual story-telling was a bit fractured. Could somebody please tell me what that thing in the foreground of panel 6 is supposed to be? It looks like an old boot but has no relevance to the scene. It's just jarring.

ABCs, Grey Area and Brass Sun were much as they were last week; like them or not according to personal taste. I would like to see more of Clint's old fashioned drawing though.

As for Dredd, his reflections on 30 years ago (coupled with the fact that it was that long ago in real time) is very powerful and something I want to see explored further. I predict an attempted military coup in MC-1 before the year is out.

I hope that makes sense, I'm a bit drunkled.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 September, 2012, 10:59:09 PM
A good issue, but 'Tharg's' dismissal of Zoe Arnold-Bennett was one of the most disappointing things I've read in the magazine, especially given the discussion that went on here about Lenny Zero. Left a very sour taste. Really wish I'd skipped the letters this week.
Yes, same here.
Wish I hadn't read the response. Thought the whole issue could have been dealt with more seriousness considering the variety , and thoughtfulness, of the debate here.

Wonder how they'll respond to the pixelated artwork, presumably with the usual joke about a droid being sent to Mek-quake?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 23 September, 2012, 09:01:12 AMWish I hadn't read the response. Thought the whole issue could have been dealt with more seriousness considering the variety , and thoughtfulness, of the debate here.
It seemed overly defensive and an oddly immature response, and it wouldn't surprise me if the comic just lost three readers. It also, frankly, doesn't give me a lot of hope regarding this and similar issues that have been discussed on the board—if that's the kind of reply to someone who makes the effort to write a letter, perhaps they just don't care. It's not quite a Yorkie-style "It's not for girls", but it's not far off.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 September, 2012, 03:09:11 PM
It seemed overly defensive and an oddly immature response...

It's all about interpretation - I read the exact same response in a completely different way, thinking Tharg sounded mildly bemused by the reaction.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Mildly bemused at why a woman who'd been giving Progs to her nieces is now thinking about quitting the Prog after a Lenny Zero that made a whole load of readers go "that's just... wrong"? That's not the kind of response I was hoping to see in the magazine (it's not Nuts), but there you go. Anyway, I'll shut up about this now, I think. Not fair on the rest of the (rather decent) Prog to bang on about the editor's response to an upset reader.

P-BOT/1138

how annoyed must ben willsher be. to draw a stunning cover, albeit a strange angle, wayne's world's extreme close up comes to mind. then everyone, including me, thinks its some one else? but it really does look like mcneil.

Colin YNWA

There's a lot worse things that could be said about your artwork!

vzzbux

The cover instantly made me think of this Sci-Fi special.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Pete Wells

Yeah, the colours feel like MacNeil but those lips definitely look like Higgins. It's an outstanding cover!

Darren Stephens

Ah, that Higgins cover is one of my all time faves. His painted work is outstanding.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^