Main Menu

Prog 2013

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 08 December, 2012, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Good job I've resigned myself to a Christmas Day read, because STILL NO PROG IN SHOP.

Spikes

Just managed to snag a copy at ASDA during my dinner break. Not gonna read it, and darent even touch it as my hands are covered in paint. One to saviour and make last i think.

Colin Zeal

Picked up my copy from the local newsagent yesterday no bother.

I see there has been some grumbling but i thought this was an excellent prog, even though it follows the majestic Trifecta. Absalom and Aquilla were both excellent and really makes me want them back in the Prog as soon as possible. I think the run of strips we'll be getting to start 2013 with are a really good mix and I'm especially thrilled by the return of Johhn Alpha.

My only minor criticism would be about the Red Seas. I really enjoy both writing and artwork but it seems to have been away for so long that I can't remember what has brought us to the start of this part. This may be more of a criticism of my memory though than anything else. Oh, and with The Visible Man, which I really enjoyed when it was printed in some special back in the early 90s but I struggle to see the effectiveness of ending with a cliffhanger when we know it's a one-off and may never be seen again.

However these are just minor gripes about what is an excellent prog to end what has been a fantastic year. Congratulations to all those involved for giving us such heavy doses of Thrill-Power.

dweezil2

Prog in Smith's this morning!  :)
Molotov narrowly avoided!  >:D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 December, 2012, 02:14:34 PM
The Visible Man, which I really enjoyed when it was printed in some special back in the early 90s but I struggle to see the effectiveness of ending with a cliffhanger when we know it's a one-off and may never be seen again.

I only realised this when I cam to Tharg's reply to one of the letters - he described it as a one-off which I thought must be a mistake because it was so obviously part one of a story... but apperently not! Enjoyed it though, I've always had a soft spot for this story.

Andy Smart

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 December, 2012, 05:11:28 PM
The Visible Man, which I really enjoyed when it was printed in some special back in the early 90s but I struggle to see the effectiveness of ending with a cliffhanger when we know it's a one-off and may never be seen again.

I only realised this when I cam to Tharg's reply to one of the letters - he described it as a one-off which I thought must be a mistake because it was so obviously part one of a story... but apperently not! Enjoyed it though, I've always had a soft spot for this story.

I guess that ending on a cliffhanger was Pat Mills' way of getting us Squaxx to demand a series from Tharg.

Spikes

Quote from: Judge Jack on 13 December, 2012, 12:42:16 PM
One to saviour and make last i think.
You can tell its nearly Christmas,  ;)

One to savour, is what i meant to type.

Just allowed myself a quick flick through, some stand out images - [spoiler]Judge Death! That Judge Anderson lass!![/spoiler].
100 pages of Earth shattering Thrill Power? Yeah, ill go along with that.
The next regular prog is out early next year, isnt it?

The Prodigal

Its not that I am a sad middle aged Christmas junkie or anything but how many readers keep the annual prog to Christmas day itself?

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.......

Dandontdare

Mine gets read as soon as it arrives. Even back in the days of annuals in the Xmas stocking, I'd usually read most of it in WH Smiths during November-December.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Andy Smart on 13 December, 2012, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 December, 2012, 05:11:28 PM

I guess that ending on a cliffhanger was Pat Mills' way of getting us Squaxx to demand a series from Tharg.

Not from me!
It was really poor. Some very clumsy exposition in there.
"Anyone wondered why it's the only intact building in Britain's Atlantis?" " "All that's left of a city swept away eight hundred years ago!"
I don't think anybody talks like this - much less special forces soldiers who have just made a 200m underwater swim.

TheMightyOne

how i feel when i bought my issue...

OMFGHAHAHAFOMGOSHOHGOSJHOOOHOOOOOOOOOOYAYAYAYAYAYAGOOOOOOODWOOOOOHOO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 December, 2012, 08:27:30 PM
I don't think anybody talks like this - much less special forces soldiers who have just made a 200m underwater swim.

For a start, there ain't enough swear words ;)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 December, 2012, 09:27:23 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 December, 2012, 08:27:30 PM

For a start, there ain't enough swear words ;)

Very true..!

Dandontdare

well if he only get 5 pages per decade, he's got a lot to cram in!

SmallBlueThing

Read it.
I'm not usually an admirer of these things. I'd much prefer a hardback annual to be honest, and find the resulting fortnight with no thrills intolerable.

However.

In my teeny, humble opinion this was the best one since prog 2000 all those years ago, so colour me thrilled!

I dont have time to go through it all at the moment, but top thrills:

THE VISIBLE MAN
I demand a series. Pat has turned a dodgy old flabby ill-remembered vestige of the prog's early days into a lean and mean thrilling machine. Gloriously perverse in parts, and with an 'alien' cameo. What is the not to like. I want more, and i dont really want to wait til Prog 2014!

ABSALOM
Again, i'm not really a fan of Gordon Rennie's work- but this strip is the exception. A beautifully crafted piece of English horror, of the kind perfected by Ramsey Campbell. This got completely under my skin, and honestly scared me, made me uncomfortable and slightly ill. The inclusion of the Jimmy Savile references was a masterstroke, and i take (cont)