Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 February, 2021, 09:17:03 AM
Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2021, 07:12:59 AM
Eraserhead- complete shit.

District 9- it's actually pretty good.
Flip those around and you might have the right of it. :)

Your unbridled edge has been noted.

wedgeski

Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2021, 09:56:36 AM

Appreciate that, ty.

Not trying to be edgy. Eraserhead is a film over which I bonded with a long-term friend and thus has significant meaning for me. District 9...all right, it isn't complete shit, but I do remember being disappointed for reasons that now escape me.

pictsy

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 February, 2021, 10:32:23 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 10 February, 2021, 09:06:05 AM
Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jenifer Lawrence playing themselves stuck on a damaged spaceship travelling towards some planet. It was okay-ish with Love over Gold storyline, but I kept thinking what 2000AD would have done with this premise. It would have had them woken up by other passengers, who have all turned cannibals as the food dispensers don't work! Then it would be a battle for survival in the spaceships grey corridors with accountants and sociologists trying to murder Pratt and Lawrence who'd have to team up or be lunch. See? It's always better with 2000AD!

Normally, miogeny passed me by. But this film has the most rape-y plot I have ever seen in a blockbuster and I am stunned that it's not been called out (to my knowledge). Basically, Pratt has a thing for a pretty girl he's never met, and he thaws her out - condeming her to age and die while her friends and colleagues are in statsi - so that he can get his leg over, which he knows he will because he is literally the last and only man she will ever meet.

She should have stabbed him in the eye for killing her.

This is the reason I wasn't happy with the ending.  At no point was I left with the impression that what Pratt's character was doing was right... until the end.  My most charitable reading is it haphazardly introduces the concept of forgiveness and reconciliation in the face of abuse.  I don't think that's the case.  It seemed clear a happy ending was called for and they used a really cheap way to create a reconciliation.  It does undermine what the rest of the film achieves.

Nevertheless, I still liked how it explored the themes of loneliness and abuse up until that point.  I never had the impression that the film didn't understand what it was dealing with (until the end).  I sincerely was left with the idea that it was what the film was exploring and would find it hard to criticise it for that.  In actuality, I thought it handled it deftly and sympathetically (until the end).  Probably why I enjoyed it.

I get why others wouldn't enjoy it.  I've never recommended this film to anyone and it does have a hokey tone.  Plus, the ending.

Hot Shots

Wow.  I used to laugh so much at this type of film.  Rewatching them makes me feel like I've lost my innocence.  I just didn't find it funny.  Nevertheless, it was silly and dumb and that's what I wanted last night.

Bolt-01

The Tomorrow Man (IMDB LINK)

John Lithgow is a grumpy doomsday prepper who meets and falls for Blythe Danner. A rather nice romance ensues and all was perfectly splendid. Then they dropped the ending. Myself and Mrs Bolt were actually sat open mouthed at the ending.

Smith

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 February, 2021, 10:07:31 AM

Appreciate that, ty.

Not trying to be edgy. Eraserhead is a film over which I bonded with a long-term friend and thus has significant meaning for me. District 9...all right, it isn't complete shit, but I do remember being disappointed for reasons that now escape me.

Oh,its deeeeep. Its like a nightmare,maaaaaaaan. Its like,like spiritual and shit,maaaaaaan.

pictsy

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 11 February, 2021, 10:31:48 AM
The Tomorrow Man (IMDB LINK)

John Lithgow is a grumpy doomsday prepper who meets and falls for Blythe Danner. A rather nice romance ensues and all was perfectly splendid. Then they dropped the ending. Myself and Mrs Bolt were actually sat open mouthed at the ending.

Was the ending bad, then?  Did you like the film?

Bolt-01

Lack of clarity, sorry. I actually really enjoyed the film. I think both leads were immensely believable and the ending was just such a colossal surprise. I don't want to spoil it or even 'big it up' too much, because it will only disappoint then.

pictsy

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 11 February, 2021, 01:05:34 PM
Lack of clarity, sorry. I actually really enjoyed the film. I think both leads were immensely believable and the ending was just such a colossal surprise. I don't want to spoil it or even 'big it up' too much, because it will only disappoint then.

OK, cool :)
If I watch it I shall remember to manage my expectations ;)

Funt Solo

Quote from: Smith on 11 February, 2021, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 11 February, 2021, 10:07:31 AM

Appreciate that, ty.

Oh,its deeeeep. Its like a nightmare,maaaaaaaan. Its like,like spiritual and shit,maaaaaaan.

My advice: just agree with Smith. It'll go easier for everyone.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Smith

Im just joking. Like it, don't like it,not my problem.

Rara Avis

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 February, 2021, 10:32:23 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 10 February, 2021, 09:06:05 AM
Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jenifer Lawrence playing themselves stuck on a damaged spaceship travelling towards some planet. It was okay-ish with Love over Gold storyline, but I kept thinking what 2000AD would have done with this premise. It would have had them woken up by other passengers, who have all turned cannibals as the food dispensers don't work! Then it would be a battle for survival in the spaceships grey corridors with accountants and sociologists trying to murder Pratt and Lawrence who'd have to team up or be lunch. See? It's always better with 2000AD!

Normally, miogeny passed me by. But this film has the most rape-y plot I have ever seen in a blockbuster and I am stunned that it's not been called out (to my knowledge). Basically, Pratt has a thing for a pretty girl he's never met, and he thaws her out - condeming her to age and die while her friends and colleagues are in statsi - so that he can get his leg over, which he knows he will because he is literally the last and only man she will ever meet.

She should have stabbed him in the eye for killing her.

He does a full psyche eval on her first so he can market himself as the perfect companion to her. He's not a complete arsehole :)

I also loved Eraserhead and District 9, rewatched D9 recently and it's solid it's stands to the test of time. Sharlto Copley is incredible.

I haven't rewatched Eraserhead for a while and struggle to recall what it's about or why I liked it so much.

Tiplodocus

As a follow up to BLACK SAILS I watched the mostly excellent TREASURE ISLAND (Disney 1950).

It's a lavish production despite hardly leaving British shores chock full of great character actors (spot Bond's Defence Minister Geoffrey Keen as Israel Hands) chewing whatever is to hand and fair rattles along (though a modern version would undoubtedly have squeezed a couple more set pieces into the lean running time).

Only after watching did I realise that there is not a woman to be seen in the whole venture (understandable once under sail) let alone given a speaking line.

It also emphasises what a great job the Black Sails tea did making character arcs that would fit into this. Accent aside, Robert Newton's Long John Silver is very much a continuation of what we see in Black Sails. Though Billy Bones has definitely let himself go.

Sad though, is the demise of young Bobby Driscoll who played Jim Hawkins... dead by 31.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Dunkirk (2017)

Quite possibly the best war (ww2) film in recent years. Sorry 1917. I remember when I saw it in the theatre, the music was so loud it was overbearing and almost embarrassing. (What would I give to have that feeling again?) But, the music score is sooooo terrific. Hans Zimmer is robbed of the Oscar. As for the film itself, it's made very strongly, completely auteur approach to filmmaking. And CGI use is minimal! Everything was real as it could be. Photography is great. All shots focusing on group of soldiers on the beach, or aerial segments up in the clouds while sea is below are spectacular. Dunkirk isn't without lacking, though. I felt like Nolan tried to make an epic film and at the same time, intimate, personal film, seen thru the eyes of one man. As results, all epicness feels rather timid. Plot itself is intricately crafted (air, sea, mole). But I wish the mole arc got more story. As it is, it looks like it lasts for two days, instead of given one week. For example, it would've been interesting what happens to CIllian Murphy character. About the characters, I like that they are so simple. It's just a survival story of people who desperately attempt to save their lives (including Harry Stiles asshole character, bent to sacrifice the others). Also, what I liked about the film is enemy (Germans) presence being reduced to bare minimum. While it's not their story, I am actually tired of seeing same people in the same uniforms again and again.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: milstar on 12 February, 2021, 06:09:41 PM
Dunkirk (2017)

Really didn't enjoy this film.  Found it be very boring.  Very, very boring.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 12 February, 2021, 06:21:10 PM
Quote from: milstar on 12 February, 2021, 06:09:41 PM
Dunkirk (2017)

Really didn't enjoy this film.  Found it be very boring.  Very, very boring.

Oh me not at all. Intense music that cling you to edge of the seat, while you watch poor soldiers trying to get to their home.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.