Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurnard

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 March, 2020, 07:48:03 PM
Preorder from Forbidden Planet instead, man.

I would agree gave up on the Hatchette site before it went to the moving message a long time ago. Pre-order form FP and you don't miss an issue. Managed to pre-order all the Dantes until the end I believe.

Jade Falcon

So for those of you who got the latest Rogue book, what did you think of the content.  Especially asking those who hadn't read it before.

This Rogue seemed quite a bit more mature compared to earlier.  Arkhan seemed an interesting character who   despite being hinted at as a bit of a brutal type had his own code of honour.

As to Cinnabar, its a good story but it seemed as if it jumped a bit.  There was the female member of the council saying "Would you like to stud for me" and then it jumped straight into another aspect.  Albeit I think she was joking but it did look as if there was missing pages but I've read Cinnabar before and know that's not the case.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomontherun94

Money's been taken out for 65/66. Checked my online account and the 5th figurine is being sent out this month

IndigoPrime

Well, I got my 61/62 replacements. But I was told they'd been sent with 65/66, which haven't arrived. So: sigh.

Jade Falcon

Regarding the last Rogue book, was there ever any more content like that, what seemed to be a more mature, darker form of Rogue Trooper.  I'm aware of the 'hit' stories, and Friday.  If there's an extension I'd like to see Friday and maybe the Hit stories for completions sake, but not bothered about the latter.  I'm aware and have the trades of Jaegir and the 86er's which aren't Rogue but are in the same universe.

I guess there's been no further update on the extension and it's contents yet?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 18 March, 2020, 12:48:08 AM
Regarding the last Rogue book, was there ever any more content like that, what seemed to be a more mature, darker form of Rogue Trooper.  I'm aware of the 'hit' stories, and Friday.  If there's an extension I'd like to see Friday and maybe the Hit stories for completions sake, but not bothered about the latter.  I'm aware and have the trades of Jaegir and the 86er's which aren't Rogue but are in the same universe.

I guess there's been no further update on the extension and it's contents yet?
I thought Matt's introduction was pretty down on the Fr1day stories but perhaps just a The War Machine collection will be included. I liked it myself!

IndigoPrime

Personally, I'd sooner any extension concentrate on objectively good material rather than completionism. For strips that could wrap up to a logical end point and that are fab (Kingdom), sure, more books, please! But The Hit was a waste of space, and was cut short and unceremoniously completed in a winter special when 2000 AD realised it was shit. (The arc, that is, not the ending — that at least was... not terrible.)

Fr1day was initially poor, and although it picked up a bit later on, attempting to make it into the original RT — and then [spoiler]literally bringing back the old Rogue characters, only to kill off most of them[/spoiler] was baffling, unnecessary, and ultimately pointless. I certainly don't think too many readers are gagging to slog through Golden Fox Rebellion and Saharan Ice War any time soon.

I'd take The War Machine, though. And that'd leave something like 100 additional pages to fill in one of these hardbacks. (Interestingly, Barney puts the Tor Cyan arc at around that page count.)

TordelBack

War Machine, the Dredd crossover and the John Smith/Chris Weston Fr1days might be slightly tempting, but it still seems thin. Have we had the Alan Moore Rogue story yet?

Dark Jimbo

Frankly I'd rather have a Jaegir book than any of that so-so Rogue/Friday stuff.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

I've got the Jaegir trade that's available, is that all that was ever done?

IndigoPrime

Beasts Within (2015) is the only current Jaegir trade. It compiles Strigoi, Circe, Brothers in Arms and Tartarus. I suppose you could roll in the rest (+50p) and you hit the low end of the required page count. Hunted would make it one of the chunkier vols, although I wasn't particularly enamoured with that strip.

Jade Falcon

Sorry, I meant is that all that was ever done of Jaegir as a strip, not published in trade form.

Regarding the other materials, I'm not bothered about the hit stuff, I think I read at least some of it in a dodgy CBR scan and it seemed a bit of a meandering mess. You got the impression it could quite as easily have been a separate story with all new characters in a different universe. To use a videogame analogy it's like some of these fighting games that might have an out of universe character skin as a bonus unlockable.

Friday etc, I have no opinion on as the only story I read was a crossover with Dredd. Neither Friday nor Tor Cyan I know anything of. I must admit I liked the darker tone of Realpolitik.

I'm also guessing that the extension wouldn't have the Dredd/Batman crossovers due to rights issues.

My knowledge of 2000ad past a certain point is sadly limited, I stopped reading round about the end of classic Rogue and pre 'hit' stories, hence why so much is new to me like Nikolai Dante etc.

sintec

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed none of the crossover stuff because of rights issues.  I'd strongly suspect that also means none of the creator owned stuff either.

Jade Falcon

Creator owned? Sorry, you've got me there, I'm not quite sure what that would be.

sintec

Wasn't stuff like Mazeworld and Button Man creator owned and then licensed for in the prog?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazeworld