Main Menu

Star Wars Novels

Started by ukdane, 03 January, 2008, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Does anyone have any Star Wars novels in good nick, that they want to off-load cheap?

Whatcha got, how much you want for them?
Cheers

-Daney

WoD

ukdane

Novels.

(That's comics without pictures to you and me)
Cheers

-Daney

WoD

monty--

I wouldn't mind buying a Star Wars novel. Can anyone recommend a good one and which one's should I avoid?

ukdane

The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) is probably the best place to start, if you can find them.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars_books" target="_blank">Wiki Wars Book List

Cheers

-Daney

hippynumber1

I  really enjoyed the Darth Bane novel - a dark reflection of Luke Skywalker's journey.  The Kevin J Anderson ones are a little pedestrian.  For something a little diferent try Vonda MacIntyre's "Crystal Star" or "The Courtship of Princess Leia" which got slated but I thought was rather well written!  Darth Maul was rather good too!

Wils

Apart from the film novels, I've only got Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Han Solo's Revenge, Shadow of the Empire (which would be great if it didn't clumsily back-reference New Hope and Empire like it does), the Lando Trilogy and the first book of the Han Solo trilogy. I've not read many others, and they've all been from the library and even that was years ago. The last one I think I read was (the *awful*, IIRC) Courtship of Princess Leia.

vzzbux

I've just finished reading 'Survivors Quest' by Timothy Zahn and I would fully recomend, but make sure you read 'Outbound Flight' first. you get to read about a unit of the 501st in action.

Also I would recommend 'Darth Bane: Path of Destruction' by Drew Karpyshyn. A most exellent read.

Alas none of my books are for sale but I would suggest trawling through charity shops or reclaimed book shops. Bargains aplenty.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

The usual recommendation is indeed for the first three Zahn books, and while they're solid, they never really wowed me.  Worth reading though.  Personally I've had the best value from the unspeakably massive sub-series like The New Jedi Order or Legacy of the Force, which are set 20-40 years after the movies, and have something like 20 and 10 books in them respectively, but they're not a great place to start.

As a standalone novel, I'd recommend The Courtship of Princess Leia, a good fun romp.  I, Jedi is also engaging.  Be warned, both were written before the Prequels, so expect them to contradict almost everything therein.  Which may be a good thing.

The 'modern' Han Solo Trilogy (there are two), detailing his pre-Rebel life, is also worth a read (the two I can remember the titles of are Paradise Snare and Rebel Dawn).

I'd completely avoid anything by Kevin J. Anderson, in particular the Jedi Academy trilogy.  It will make you ill.  I also strongly dislike the "Tales from..." series, which contain short stories dedicated to establishing that every single alien in the Cantina and Jabba's Palace, and every single bounty hunter,  was in some way a major player in galactic history.  Notably, IG-88 takes over the Second Death Star.  It's ghastly.

vzzbux

My next novel to aquire.

Vhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/RuleofTwo.jpg">
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SamuelAWilkinson

In the name of all that is good and holy, steer well clear of the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy. It's clearly written by a man who's never even seen the films, yet alone read any of the (by then) fairly big canon of books set afterwards - you have faux pas like lightsabers cutting off limbs causing blood to spurt everywhere, people wearing personal shields nicked out of off'f Dune, and worse.

I'd agree with everyone else, mind: go with the Zahn trilogy. The X-Wing books are also good fun, too, particularly the Wraith Squadron trilogy.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Max Kon

I have 8 Jedi Apprentice Books that i'm wanting to sell, and a novel of Episode 1. Great condition, you'd not even know they had been read.

All offers welcome.

I have a few others, but i'll have to read them first.

Tiplodocus

Never read any "modern" Star Wars Novels but I found the three original Han Solo novels:
HAN SOLO AT STAR'S END
HAN SOLO'S REVENGE
HAN SOLO and THE LOST LEGACY
were enjoyably pulpy science fiction fun set in a universe that was recognisably Star Wars but which wasn't drowning under a ton of continuity, cross references and self-importance.

Back when I was fifteen or sixteen, I even drew a comic strip adaption of HAN SOLO's REVENGE (I used Slipper Jim's wife Ange as a reference for the main femaile character whose name escapes me).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Which of the JA books do you have, Max?