Main Menu

Nemesis the Warlock hardcover reprint and volume two

Started by IndigoPrime, 29 September, 2020, 12:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

My Later Heresies finally arrived, and I'm broadly pleased and hungry for a third volume (Final Heresies?), with or without Tubular Hells.

As has been noted elsewhere the repro is uneven, especially in Book V and a few places in Book VI - these are pretty obviously using the same source as the Casefiles edition, with many of the same issues. I would have thought that Talbot's assertive lines would have been easier to reproduce than most, but alas.

However, the B&W treatment of the colour spreads is far sharper to my eye, and the Diceman strips are a massive improvement over my Casefiles copy. The photostrips seem about the same, but they benefit greatly from the clean white of the paperstock. This increased contrast also benefits the Hicklenton episodes, which while maybe a bit heavy on the blacks look amazing.

The real jewels of this edition are a superb full-page colour cover galley, and a glorious colour printing of Torquemada's Second Honeymoon. These hint annoyingly at what could potentially have been achieved elsewhere, but are lovely in their own right.

Once you accept that what you're getting for your money is a beautifully bound and nicely designed larger-format edition of Casefiles Vol 2 on lovely paper, with legacy flaws and quite minor improvements, plus excellent colour bits, rather than a reworked "absolute" version or a Hibernia-quality labour of love,  I think it succeeds as a very worthwhile purchase.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2021, 10:27:22 AM
Once you accept that what you're getting for your money is a beautifully bound and nicely designed larger-format edition of Casefiles Vol 2 on lovely paper, with legacy flaws and quite minor improvements, plus excellent colour bits, rather than a reworked "absolute" version or a Hibernia-quality labour of love,  I think it succeeds as a very worthwhile purchase.

Yep. All the indignant online spluttering had me worried, but actually... it's no worse than the Nemesis phonebooks, and actually much better in places. It may not live up to the progs or Titan editions, but I've never seen the original progs or Titan editions, so that doesn't really bother me. Of the three editions of this material that I've now owned, this is on balance probably the best.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 January, 2021, 10:27:22 AM
Not sure what's going on but it looks like these are available again in the shop. I took a while to convince myself after reading about the repro problems but I've just pulled the trigger. Looking forward to seeing if I get hit with any outlandish additional charges when they finally arrive.
We never really die.

Tomwe

Necro post! Was just looking at my shelf and wondering about a final one of these? They came out originally at around this time of year.

robprosser

Max Headroom

Also keen to get this and read the entire story. Hope they include the extra Deadlock material that was contained in the Hachette Partworks editions.

Anthony Garnon

Volume 3 has appeared in the 'Upcoming Releases' section of the shop. Out mid-January, limited to 350 copies.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Anthony Garnon on 10 November, 2021, 07:26:27 AM
Volume 3 has appeared in the 'Upcoming Releases' section of the shop. Out mid-January, limited to 350 copies.
Well, I'd have to be a complete idiot to snooze on this having bought the first two. Nice one.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: Max Headroom on 29 October, 2021, 07:11:05 PM
Also keen to get this and read the entire story. Hope they include the extra Deadlock material that was contained in the Hachette Partworks editions.

Quote from: 2000AD-ShopStories include:
The World of Nemesis (Book 3)
Deadlock
The Tomb of Torquemada
Tubular Hells

robprosser

The Monarch

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 10 November, 2021, 09:08:54 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 29 October, 2021, 07:11:05 PM
Hope they include the extra Deadlock material that was contained in the Hachette Partworks editions.

Quote from: 2000AD-ShopStories include:
The World of Nemesis (Book 3)
Deadlock
The Tomb of Torquemada
Tubular Hells

Hopefully it does include Deadlock, but I'd venture to suggest that contents list is badly wrong! Book 3? No Hicklenton? No Hammer of Warlocks? No Book X...?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

From the shop:

Purity's Story (Book 8)
Deathbringer (Book 9)
Shape of Things to Come
Hammer of the Warlocks
Book X: The Final Conflict
Warlocks and Wizards
Enigmass Variations
Bride of the Warlock
Deadlock
The Tomb of Torquemada
Tubular Hells

Max Headroom

Have pre-ordered my copy and will be very pleased to own the entire saga in deluxe hardback. I just wish that they had taken just a little bit more care with some of the repro and included the colour sections from the early Progs. Still, pretty damn good.