Main Menu

New Star Wars

Started by sheridan, 11 December, 2020, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

From the looks of it, Disney's main focus, Star Wars-wise, is on streaming series rather than films for the foreseeable future.

Star Wars - The Mandalorian (has its own long-running thread so no need to discuss it here).

The Bad Batch - looks like a follow-up to The Clone Wars, set at the beginning of the Empire.

Lando - self-explanatory.

A Droid Story - but which droid?  I'll have a look for the sizzle reel during my lunch hour, unless someone else finds it first.

Rogue Squadron - no doubt based on characters from the game.

Ahsoka - self-explanatory.

Rangers of the New Republic - ?

The Acolyte - ?

Obi-Wan Kenobi - self-explanatory - was originally going to be a Star Wars Story film but I think it's a series now.

Andor - the special forces guy from Rogue One.

Visions - ?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 11 December, 2020, 09:55:40 AM

The Bad Batch - looks like a follow-up to The Clone Wars, set at the beginning of the Empire.

This one sounds particularly interesting. I think the start of the Empire is a time that has much potential and I don't think has been tapped too much (though I do miss out a lot of old expanded universe stuff). I'd want it be to be a bit like Rome (telly show). A balance between the political struggles needed to build an Empire and the impact on the troops on the ground and the folks they encounter. ... mind I want most things to be like Rome (telly show) so I'm not to be trusted!

Also looking forward to Kenobi - if its done as a cool space western type thing... well Samuari movie from which Westerns are devived would be the more accurate comparison I guess. They start getting this right and I might finally justify getting a Disney Plus subscription... which of course means I'd be prime sucker for them.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 December, 2020, 10:03:23 AM
Also looking forward to Kenobi - if its done as a cool space western type thing... well Samuari movie from which Westerns are devived would be the more accurate comparison I guess.

This was my fervent wish when it was first announced as a movie, but hasn't The Mandalorian rather cornered the market on that vibe?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 December, 2020, 10:10:16 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 December, 2020, 10:03:23 AM
Also looking forward to Kenobi - if its done as a cool space western type thing... well Samuari movie from which Westerns are devived would be the more accurate comparison I guess.

This was my fervent wish when it was first announced as a movie, but hasn't The Mandalorian rather cornered the market on that vibe?

Not seen it yet - does seem to from the bits I'd seen BUT can there be too many stories with that vibe? ... also see my comment about wanting everything to be like Rome (telly show)

TordelBack

If Colin still fancies the idea of Rome but starring the Tracy family instead of Vorenus and Pullo, I think he'll be pleased. The setting is exciting, but the Bad Batch characters didn't make much of a positive impression on me in TCW Season 7. From what we've already seen, I expected their spin-off to be pitched at a younger audience, but look, if I get to follow CT-1409 into the Empire era, I'll probably be happy. Ample room for guest stars too,  I wonder will this be the one to pick up the Ventress thread?

Speaking of which, and aside from Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron (-drool-), The Acolyte is the one that really fascinates me. The most prequelly prequel pitch to date, could it be about anything but the deep origins of Palpatine?

I'd be most concerned about Ahsoka and Rangers, which seems to run the risk of diluting the potential of The Mandalorian by all drawing from essentially the same well (see also: The Defenders).  Better one good show with an abundance of ideas,  than 3 fighting over the same elements. But hey,  I don't have greedy shareholders.

For me, my excitement as a sad fanboy is tempered by a frustration with Disney as a corporation. Unless they put their house in order with regard to creators, employees and kowtowing to oppressive regimes, I'm not going to be able to support any of this wonderful stuff.

IndigoPrime

QuoteAhsoka - self-explanatory
And yet I'm all: who? Clearly, my geek level is set to only about a 3 when it comes to SW... (I did do a quick search online to find out who the character is.)

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2020, 11:03:53 AM
The Acolyte is the one that really fascinates me. The most prequelly prequel pitch to date, could it be about anything but the deep origins of Palpatine?

There was talk of a High Republic series earlier in the year, set about 200 years BBY.  This would appear to be that, with a female protagonist (or are they still the antagonist if they're Sith?)

Professor Bear

I didn't like Rosie Dawson's take on Ahsoka - there, I've said it - but statistically speaking, I have to enjoy some of this.  I mean, that's just maths.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 December, 2020, 11:58:07 AM
... but statistically speaking, I have to enjoy some of this.  I mean, that's just maths.

I see you have rumbled Disney's cunning strategy.

broodblik

I have enjoyed The Mandalorian so far so I will give these ago. I am sure even a half of an attempt will most likely be much better than the Disney SW movies so far.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've enjoyed all the recent Star Wars films, but have yet to see a moment of The Mandolorian. Up til now I've been doing the equivalent of putting my fingers in my ears and humming whenever my brain makes the intuitive leap from Star Wars (and Marvel) to Disney. Now, however, I really am going to have to hold my nose and get Disney+, because those Star Wars- and even more so the Marvel titles that were likewise announced- are completely unmissable. I've kind of got sick waiting for a physical release of Mando, so I take it at this point they arent doing that? Sigh. But yes, Disney+ is in my immediate future.

SBT

wedgeski

Crikey, it's like all my Christmas presents at once.

shaolin_monkey

Everything I have wished for since Jedi is now coming to pass. What a great time to be alive! (Except for, you know, COVID19, Brexit, rise of fascism, climate change etc)

Just in case you missed this - made me chuckle:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2020, 11:03:53 AM
If Colin still fancies the idea of Rome but starring the Tracy family instead of Vorenus and Pullo, I think he'll be pleased. The setting is exciting, but the Bad Batch characters didn't make much of a positive impression on me in TCW Season 7.

Oh hadn't realised these were a thing already (as I say my expanded Universe knowledge is weak) and just watched the trailer. Looks like it is coming out of the cartoon's which is necessarily a bad things and might be close to what I imagined. Just don't we'll get the political thriller elements of Rome in this. Shame I think there's a good show there.