Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

He's appointing a new cabinet even as the podium is being set up for his speech. Still not 100% convinced he'll actually resign - it's not like he's ever lied about stuff before after all.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

The resignation has been confirmed.  Though Johnson might remain PM for a few more months.  Leave means leave!

Barrington Boots

I feels a bit overly cynical to be thinking along these lines, but he didn't even resign in that speech. Just said the Tories wanted a new leader and he'll hang around until that happens. Then a little victory lap of his 'achievements' without a shred of contrition, acknowledgement that he had done anything wrong, or apology.

I reckon he thinks he's just bought himself an extra three months.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

excepting major and brown (who did some terrible political things but at least had shreds of humanity and empathy about them), every pm from thatch onwards has usurped the title from their predecessor of 'worst pm ever'. there are no no depths to which we won't venture. and whoever comes next will probably be even worse - eg steve baker (evangelical anti-green and self-styled 'hard man of brexit') has already thrown his hat in the ring ...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Listening to Johnathan Pie ranting is like going on a massive bender. As much as you might enjoy it at the time, it's not something you would recommend, and after it's over, on sober reflection, it's not something you're in a hurry to do again.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Cathy Newman: "Tell us one interesting thing about you?"
Kier Starmer: "I used to have violin lessons with Fat Boy Slim."

Got to give him that one.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 July, 2022, 11:00:06 PM

Fair enough, but I don't want an interesting prime minister*, I want a competent one. Boris is so incompetent he can't even resign properly.

*I'd prefer a boring nepotistic Taoiseach. Tiocfaidh ar la and all that.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 July, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

Fair enough, but I don't want an interesting prime minister*, I want a competent one. Boris is so incompetent he can't even resign properly.

He made exactly that point himself, earlier in the interview - the final question was more of a "funny animal story at the end" bit.

Full clip is: https://www.channel4.com/news/country-needs-new-government-not-new-tory-leader-says-starmer
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 July, 2022, 12:29:53 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Not all taoiseachs were boring - Haughey and Bertie* were larger- than-life types, and both were as bent as nine-bob notes.

*See, we had a corrupt first-name-terms prime minister before you.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 July, 2022, 03:40:37 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Not all taoiseachs were boring - Haughey and Bertie* were larger- than-life types, and both were as bent as nine-bob notes.

*See, we had a corrupt first-name-terms prime minister before you.

Did we ever find out if Ted (Heath) really was a paedophile?  Last I remember was the Met saying that if Ted was still alive then they'd have interviewed them, but as they died about ten years earlier they were shelving the case.

Richard

If it was part of that massive investigation into lots of alleged pedos based on the allegations of one man who the police claimed was credible, only to be subsequently proved to have been lying all along, then no he wasn't. If it was something separate then I haven't heard about it.

Edit: found this: https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/aug/02/police-chief-who-led-inquiry-into-ted-heath-faces-gross-misconduct-proceedings

Hawkmumbler

As utterly fucked as we may all be UK side, the States will always be somehow even more deranged when they have congress folk advocating for prolicide in the name of pro-gun culture.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 July, 2022, 01:52:24 PM
As utterly fucked as we may all be UK side, the States will always be somehow even more deranged when they have congress folk advocating for prolicide in the name of pro-gun culture.

"From their cold, dead hands..."

Clearly taking a leaf out of the Magda Goebbels playbook, there. Just in case anyone's in any doubt as to the direction of the conservative, religious right in the US - they want to murder a lot of people and label it as "justice" or "God's will". Bunch of dangerous fuckers, right there.

---

Meanwhile, in the UK: "Who Dares Plant Weapons on Afghan Civilians and Then Murder Them?" It's your friendly neighborhood SAS, backed up by their commanders, the MOD, the Tories...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 July, 2022, 05:23:51 PM

Meanwhile, in the UK: "Who Dares Plant Weapons on Afghan Civilians and Then Murder Them?" It's your friendly neighborhood SAS, backed up by their commanders, the MOD, the Tories...

Just been catching up on this - truly dreadful. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"