Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 July, 2022, 10:06:41 PM
Alex Jones is about to lose a whole lot of money.

Jones is an absolutely terrible presenter in an absolute dog turd of a show. But doubtless the BBC will keep paying her far too much for THE ONE SHOW for this to matter.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 July, 2022, 02:34:33 PM
Jones is an absolutely terrible presenter in an absolute dog turd of a show. But doubtless the BBC will keep paying her far too much for THE ONE SHOW for this to matter.

Apologies if the above was intended humorously, but (for clarity) I suspect JBC was referring to this Alex Jones.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

It was. Even if nobody else finds it funny, it amuses me no end that they have the same name.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Not enough gay frog reporting in our national brosdcasting house.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 July, 2022, 02:55:17 PM
It was. Even if nobody else finds it funny, it amuses me no end that they have the same name.

Apologies again, then!

JayzusB.Christ

No, no, Tips had it right. I just don't think Welsh people should be presenting any kind of Show, let alone The One.  I've lived over there. I know what they're like.

(Of course I'm joking.  I was referring to the story Jim linked to.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

I see a Labour Shadow Minister  has been sacked for attending a Picket Line.  Glad in one way that Starmer is making my decision to leave the Party justified so quickly.

Funt Solo

Listening to his interview, I'd rather Sam Tarry (as Labour leader) than Kier "Neutered" Starmer. Strikes are a negotiation tool which, in my experience, help maintain a necessary balance between workers' rights and employers' desire for profit. Without unions, and without a union's ability to take strike action, you're left with a poorly paid workforce who struggle to make a living wage.

I am surprised that Starmer is so weak as to back the Tories' stance of undermining the unions. I suppose he thinks that the only way to power is to become a New Tory. (Blair did it with New Labour - Starmer is trying to go even further.) For shame!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Congratulations to the England women's team for their 2-1 win in the Euro final against Germany*!

---

In other news: Labour Shadow Minister sacked for admitting he is left-handed

* I'm not sure why it's "Anyone But England", but that definitely still stands for male soccer. For the best reasoning you're going to get, please see any episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 July, 2022, 06:34:07 PM
I am surprised that Starmer is so weak as to back the Tories' stance of undermining the unions. I suppose he thinks that the only way to power is to become a New Tory. (Blair did it with New Labour - Starmer is trying to go even further.) For shame!

Yep. Keep in mind that in the leadership contest that got Corbyn elected, every other candidate was positioning themselves at least as right-wing as the Tories, with several of them promising to be harsher on curbing benefits and implementing austerity measures than the incumbent Conservative chancellor.

The Blairite wing were genuinely surprised when the membership responded with a comprehensive "fuck that" so they spent four years working tirelessly to prevent their own party's electoral success, simply to 'prove' that it was impossible to win from the left. Having finally disposed of Corbyn, it's back to business-as-usual circa 2015, aided by the current drive to get rid of anyone to the left of a Liberal Democrat.

(Party members are being purged for offences as terrible as retweeting something originally tweeted by a Green Party member, whilst party procedures are being deployed in highly suspicious ways to engineer the deselection of 'troublesome' left-wing MPs.)

Funt Solo

I saw an interview with Mick Lynch where he was asked what Starmer's values were and he replied "to not say anything controversial".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 August, 2022, 07:29:39 AM
I saw an interview with Mick Lynch where he was asked what Starmer's values were and he replied "to not say anything controversial".

Mick Lynch is great. Have you seen the one where he says he'd be prepared to consider trial by combat with Grant Shapps as a possible means to resolve the dispute...?

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 27 July, 2022, 05:38:26 PM
I see a Labour Shadow Minister  has been sacked for attending a Picket Line.  Glad in one way that Starmer is making my decision to leave the Party justified so quickly.

I presume you read that in the Tory media?  Seeing as other Labour MPs have attended picket lines and not been sacked...

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

so. actually sacked for veering off officially approved message in a tv interview - "making policy on the hoof".

like starmer when he suddenly promised a second referendum mid-speech at the labour conference a few years ago.

the shameless hypocrisy at the top of this supposedly workers' party now.

IndigoPrime

He's also ruled out any cooperation with any other party after a GE. So we're back to Labour daring others to not fully back them without getting anything in return. (And may well end up post-GE end up with the Tories in power and Labour screaming at LD/Green voters for not voting Labour, despite stating repeatedly that the leadership will not back proportional representation and a representative parliament. Even if not then, it'd happen within a term or three.)