Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Fiends of the Eastern Front vs. Angelic Rd 4 Heat 9

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 July, 2022, 06:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Angelic is good and Lee Carter does a brilliant Cursed Earth but I'm voting for Fiends, although I didn't love the most recent series either (art aside. The art was great).

Huey2

Funt Solo

Tricky, this one. In terms of the modern incarnations of each, I'm excited to see either of them show up on the publishing schedule - if I'm honest, a bit more excited to see Angelic. This is down to the fact that modern Fiends is riffing so heavily off Hellboy (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that they're both riffing off the same thing - I'm not sure).

If you put their art side by side, then they're different beasts, but Trevallion has the edge over Carter, who seems more reliant on computerized pieces, which can seem a bit staged. Still - two great artists, whose work I enjoy.

If it was just the modern thrills, I think Angelic would take the vote. As it is, though, I'm also considering the pedigree of Fiends, and that's what gives it the win here.

Fiends of the Eastern Front, then, with special praise for GFD & Ezquerra's original and Bishop & MacNeil's much later follow-up of Stalingrad (a personal favorite).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

Fiends is a decent strip which I enjoy reading but Angelic is one of the best strips of recent times and I'd rather see more of that than Fiends.

Angelic.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Magnetica

AlexF

I'm going Angelic - it came out of nowhere and really hits the spot with its Western vibes, while nuFiends is just so far from the fun wartime vibes that it's actively irritating me.

Magnetica

Quote from: AlexF on 12 July, 2022, 08:49:05 AM
nuFiends is just so far from the fun wartime vibes that it's actively irritating me.

Yeah I agree with that.

But I've consciously gone with the "selective memory" technique for my votes - I just consider the best bits of each strip and decide if that's enough.

Rogue Judge

Fiends of the Eastern Front, without a doubt.

The first two series (Ezquerra and MacNeil) were everything I'd want from WW2 meets vampires. The recent stuff...not so much.

*Another plug for the Bishop Fiends novels for those who haven't read them*

Colin YNWA

With a day to go the result on this one seems pretty clear. But you have a day to go so who know. I'll announce in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Pretty straightforward. There's been a lot of love forAngelic and it got some votes but in the end it wasn't close to enough and Fiends - in all it variations - stormed it.

Fiends

Gets its teeth into Round 5