Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Start in the middle, maybe the end, surely the beginning

Started by broodblik, 25 July, 2022, 04:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

With more than 40 years of reading material available it is daunting task to know where to start reading Dredd. The main "problem" with Dredd is the fact that he never had a reboot which can be marked as a new begging to start from.

If you can recommend to your new friends where to start reading Dredd what will you answer be:
-   Well easy take the latest prog and start reading from there and the rest will come with time
-   Wait for a jump-on prog and start from there
-   Way wait pick-up the nearest jump-on point and read from there
-   No pick-up the Judge Dredd Cases file number one and start from the begging – you will have years of entertainment
-   There is a new Essential Collection out pick that up and start from there
-   What about the new best of 2000AD
-   Pick-up the classic epics like Apocalypse War, Judge Child, The Curses Earth, Day of Chaos, Necropolis but remember to skip the City of the Damned
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

This worked for me! No pick-up the Judge Dredd Cases file number one and start from the begging – you will have years of entertainment. The epics are essential but you miss out on all the great MC1 one-offs that I just love.

However, I am getting my brother further into 2000AD with this strategy: There is a new Essential Collection out pick that up and start from there.

Colin YNWA

Tough one. I'd like to go with pick up the latest Prog but that's more a specific getting into 2000ad thing rather than just Dredd. So I guess I'll go

There is a new Essential Collection out pick that up and start from there

I always think Case Files 1 is a terrible place to start as the series takes so long to form properly and there is some terrible, unrepresentative stuff in there!

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure the essentials work. America and Origins aren't great entry points. Judgement Day is mediocre. Judge Death works better if you already know a bit about Dredd. Apocalypse War probably is the exception.

The Legendary Shark

First, make them watch the Stallone Judge Dredd film and then say "This. Isn't. Dredd," punctuating each word with a punch in the mouth. Next, make them watch Urban's Dredd film and then say "This. Isn't. Dredd. Either," punctuating each word with a hefty slap to the head. Finally, steer them towards the Case Files, threaten them with a sturdy stick and say, "figure it out for yourself, creep!"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

I would tell them to read the Case Files but start at volume 4 (I think -- whichever one has The Judge Child), as that is where the series finally came together. (Or, if they can't abide black and white art then CF 12.)

I think a variety of short stories is a better intro than a 26-episode epic.

IndigoPrime

Also: which Dredd? 1980s Dredd is classic to us, but might be heading somewhat towards nostalgia territory, in the same way that early Spidey looks shonky to modern eyes. There's a world of difference between early Dredd, The Pit, and the more modern stuff.

That said, Graveyard Shift might be a solid starting point, showing the judges simultaneously being massive shits and heroes. (Although it's obviously less grey then where things subsequently headed, notably with the democracy arc.)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

read the tour of duty and day of chaos collections as one crazed immersive introduction. and then, inevitably, enjoy the desire to fill in the blanks ...

Magnetica

Case Files, but not volume one as the very early stories aren't the best. So probably vol 4 if you really want to hook them.

It's got the best epic, The Judge Child and some of the best / funniest (in a black humour sense) one offs/ shorts.

GoGilesGo

I'm with Richard and Magnetica on the Case Files front, but would start a little earlier.

Volume one is too haphazard. The first year was firmly in the 'let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks' so best for a newbie to start with Case Files 3.

Walter, Father Earth, Sov Judges, Sob Story, The Black Plague, Boing, Judge Death, Anderson, Satanus...it's got it all.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Depending on their age, I would either give them The Cursed Earth and The Apocalypse War, or tell them to just buy and read the prog for a month and carry on from there.

SBT

Barrington Boots

I've occasionally given extra copies of the Prog to lapsed readers or receptive friends and sadly it has never resulted in them wanting to read more. Imagine getting the most recent Prog: Brink mid-run, not exactly straightforward episodes of Dredd or Jaegir, Skip Tracer...

For getting someone into Dredd, it's best pitched at the individual depending on what they'd enjoy art and storywise... I gave someone America and they loved it, but I don't think it's ideal entry-level Dredd. The Pit was another good one. I actually think the 80s classics are probably less attractive for non-Squaxx than we realise... I'd also go with Case Files, but carefully pitched around a 'big' story that might hook.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

If it's someone actively trying to get into Dredd, I'd hope they'll have a bit of patience. I'd go for a Case Files, probably one in colour, and ideally one that has at least one story where Dredd rescues someone but then gives them a sentence of some kind as well - that's the story type that best typifies Dredd, to me. And ideally also a longer story in there as well.
I'm kinda tempted to suggest 'the Citadel' collection...

Dash Decent

Case Files 5.  Get them to read Block Mania and the Apoc War.  It's a great epic, excellent art and a story that has ramifications throughout the decades.  It's reasonably early on, but the strip has settled down and knows how its world works.  The stakes are high and Dredd is heroic and ruthless.

After that they can go forward or go back to the Cursed Earth and the Judge Child quest, also significant foundational stories.

I'm not sure if that means I'm voting "Case Files" or "Selected stories such as the Apoc war".
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.