Main Menu

FFT - Quarter Final 1 - Savage vs Nikolai Dante

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 August, 2022, 06:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Savage has been fortunate to get this far. Time for him to be booted up the bum, and I'll happily see Nikolai Dante do that.

Magnetica

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Funt Solo

It's pretty amazing that the character of Bill Savage went from being the opening thrill of the comic ('77), then latterly an object of satire in Tharg's Head Revisited ('86) and Armoured Gideon's The Collector ('94) before resurfacing as Savage in 2004's Taking Liberties. That it managed to stay afloat for eleven new series speaks to the high quality of the storytelling - with superb black and white art from Charlie Adlard (books 1-3) and Patrick Goddard.

For every well researched piece of drama, though, we often get conspiracy theories thrown in as if they're fact-based, there's too strong a tie-in to some anachronistic designs from the 70s, and for every compelling beat (female agent faces sexism at work) there's an accompanying slap in the face (female agent wilts in the face of Bill's animal magnetism). As we go longer into the series, the experiments ramp up: in Secret City it's film noire dressing, in The Marze Murderer it's an attempt at atmospheric music and the introduction of the Decepticons.

It may be safe to say that these later stories could have been told with a different character - that, perhaps, the liberation of Britain could have been the end of the series. Savage was always defending his homeland. Like Rogue Trooper before him - if you take the character away from their core setting and key mission, it's difficult to maintain the same drive.

My vote goes to The Adventures of Nikolai Dante
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

credo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Last day here and unless there is a quite magnificent last stand by Bill we know Dante has this... but we've seen magnificent last stands by Bill before, its like he has a tiger in his tank....

broodblik

This round the sword is mightier than the shotgun
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

maryanddavid

Dark Jimbo

Much as I like Savage, this one goes to Dante.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Dante

I wasn't much of a fan of the original Savage except maybe that bit on St Paul's steps, but enjoyed the comeback, Dante over stayed his welcome a bit, but was always loverly to look at and cut a dash til the end.
DDT did a job on me