Main Menu

Best Version of Necropolis?

Started by judgeurko, 05 September, 2022, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

hello help me please, what is the best version of Necropolis to buy as it has been released a few times. D oany versions include Dead Man?

broodblik

Quote from: judgeurko on 05 September, 2022, 03:25:57 PM
hello help me please, what is the best version of Necropolis to buy as it has been released a few times. D oany versions include Dead Man?

Unfraternally not , you still have to buy them separately
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Best bet, for a single volume, is Judge Dredd Case Files 14. But you kinda want to buy and read 'The Dead Man' first.
And if you really want to drink in the preamble, you'd want to get Case Files 13, too (if only for the stories Young Giant and the Shooting Match)
If you're gonna go that far, you'd probably want to get Case Files 15 as well, which tidies up a bit of post-Necropolis stuff, especially 'Nightmares' which follows the tale of Yassa Povey from the Dead Man.

Pretty sure no collection has ever put together ALL those stories!

sheridan

Let's face it - if you're including the Shooting Match then you're going to need Bloodline, which only makes sense if you're read Oz, which is a follow-up from The Midnight Surfer - but then you're going to need to read Unamerica Graffiti first.  And for the clone thread, how about the 'Judgement' trilogy of Ron Smith stories?

Richard

You don't really need the Shooting Match, since Tale of the Dead Man adequately explains who Kraken is. The Dead Man and CF 14 are enough.

Rogue Judge

How does case files 14 compare to the Essential Necropolis? I still plan on getting it...another double dip.

Richard

Does Essential have Tale of the Dead Man? I don't know, but the case file certainly does.

broodblik

The Essential contains:

By Lethal Injection
Rights of Succession
Dear Annie
Necropolis

The case files will also contain the above but in the order of publication rather, you still need to get The Dead Man separately
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tu-plang

For my money, it's these two, which tell the whole story, in (almost) the right order.

The Mega Collection version of Dead Man (from Hachette), which contains all the build up:

The Dead Man
Bloodline
The Shooting Match
A Letter to Judge Dredd
Tale of the Dead Man
Nightmares (a bit awkwardly placed here as it follows Necropolis)

and then the Essential Necropolis (Rebellion), which contains:

By Lethal Injection
Rights of Succession
Dear Annie
Necropolis

sintec

Why not the Mega Collection Necropolis volume to go with The Dead Man? 

I think it contains the same stories as the Essential volume from Rebellion

Richard

You still need Tale of the Dead Man

Tu-plang

Quote from: sintec on 06 September, 2022, 08:00:06 AM
Why not the Mega Collection Necropolis volume to go with The Dead Man? 

I think it contains the same stories as the Essential volume from Rebellion

Same stories, but the Essential edition has bigger pages--as close as a complete edition gets to the original prog size.

I think about this stuff way too much.

judgeurko

Thank you all. Hard to get those Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection's now.

IndigoPrime

Best bet is to set up an eBay search and decide on an upper limit. People quite often offload collections. Over the past couple of months, Necropolis has gone for as little as a fiver and Dead Man for nine quid.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I bought the collected Dead Man and the Case Files a few years back, as I wanted to be able to read both and let my boys read both in order. Recommended.
Lock up your spoons!