Main Menu

Prog 2324 - The Law Enforcer

Started by Barrington Boots, 20 March, 2023, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I am with Indigo on this do not really care I just want more quality Dredd
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: nxylas on 23 March, 2023, 08:56:28 PMhe's showing admirable commitment to the bit.

This 'debate' is what, four years old now?
There's commitment to the bit, and then there's leaving the MET and joining the hardcore fans of Shadwell FC.

Anyway, I echo the sentiment of not really caring at this stage - the Rennie Droid delivers the goods 9 times out of 10.

JOE SOAP

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 23 March, 2023, 09:49:40 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 22 March, 2023, 09:31:50 AMTsellest continues to be the cleverest villain name in all space opera

One for the 'over my head' thread, I'm afraid. It's a palindrome, but..?

Yeah I was wondering the same and hoping someone would post an explanation - AlexF really.

nxylas

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, my guess was definitely wrong. As you were, folks.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

So many people convinced it's Rennie. I'm against that theory on the basis of two key objections:

1. I don't want old Frank to be right.
2. NiemandGPT doesn't like being compared to a fleshy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

A.Cow

Quote from: Credo! on 24 March, 2023, 05:57:22 PMSo many people convinced it's Rennie.

After a couple of abandoned theories, it eventually dawned on me who Neimand is.  So many clues are sitting in plain sight!  And it's totally understandable why the pseudonym is being used.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: A.Cow on 24 March, 2023, 10:05:23 PMSo many clues are sitting in plain sight!  And it's totally understandable why the pseudonym is being used.

And people thought Alan Moore would never work for 2000AD again...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: A.Cow on 24 March, 2023, 10:05:23 PMAfter a couple of abandoned theories, it eventually dawned on me who Neimand is.  So many clues are sitting in plain sight!  And it's totally understandable why the pseudonym is being used.
If you're thinking of the same person I was thinking of, it's not him.

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 25 March, 2023, 02:44:20 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 24 March, 2023, 10:05:23 PMAfter a couple of abandoned theories, it eventually dawned on me who Neimand is.  So many clues are sitting in plain sight!  And it's totally understandable why the pseudonym is being used.
If you're thinking of the same person I was thinking of, it's not him.

Usually I need a hefty dose of magic mushrooms to get this head-f*cked. So, one of you knows exactly who it (but won't say, naturally), and the other person knows that it's not him?

I'd like to set out my stall and confirm that I definitely know for sure who it is - and it's not either of the twelve people you're thinking of. However, if it turns out I'm wrong, I was actually right all along. I can't tell you who I'm thinking of, though, because I've been sworn to secrecy by the Illuminati.

I hope you're proud, NiemandGPT. The trouble you're causing etc.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Credo! on 25 March, 2023, 04:30:58 PMUsually I need a hefty dose of magic mushrooms to get this head-f*cked. So, one of you knows exactly who it (but won't say, naturally), and the other person knows that it's not him?
If we were both thinking of the same person. It's been established on this forum that the Niemand droid is not a previous 2000AD writer, and the person I was thinking of was. It sort of sounded like A. Cow was thinking of the same person, but of course, I don't know that for sure.

M.I.K.

If it turns out to be Mark Millar I'll have numerous questions regarding the nature of reality itself.

A.Cow

Quote from: nxylas on 25 March, 2023, 04:47:30 PMIf we were both thinking of the same person. It's been established on this forum that the Niemand droid is not a previous 2000AD writer, and the person I was thinking of was. It sort of sounded like A. Cow was thinking of the same person, but of course, I don't know that for sure.

If that was established then I must have missed the post.  The recent Meg crossover was the clincher for me, and I'm still convinced.

Neimand appears to be of a certain age (see cultural references to things like Terry Nutkins), and was rather quickly permitted by Tharg to write multi-part Dredd stories (surely a pretty hard gig to land for a novice?) ... yet doesn't seem to write much non-Dreddverse material.

A suspicious mind might suggest that Neimand is an established writer who'd realised that this throwaway pseudonym (invented for the Starlord skit) could be a handy way to avoid prejudice from those who disliked his former Dredd work.  And Neimand seemed to come to prominence just as a certain former writer started producing more (non-Dredd) stuff for Rebellion.  Hmmm.

Okay, so I could be very wrong -- but I'd stake at least 45p Earth Money on my theory.

nxylas

Quote from: A.Cow on 26 March, 2023, 02:35:34 AM
Quote from: nxylas on 25 March, 2023, 04:47:30 PMIf we were both thinking of the same person. It's been established on this forum that the Niemand droid is not a previous 2000AD writer, and the person I was thinking of was. It sort of sounded like A. Cow was thinking of the same person, but of course, I don't know that for sure.

If that was established then I must have missed the post.  The recent Meg crossover was the clincher for me, and I'm still convinced.

Neimand appears to be of a certain age (see cultural references to things like Terry Nutkins), and was rather quickly permitted by Tharg to write multi-part Dredd stories (surely a pretty hard gig to land for a novice?) ... yet doesn't seem to write much non-Dreddverse material.

A suspicious mind might suggest that Neimand is an established writer who'd realised that this throwaway pseudonym (invented for the Starlord skit) could be a handy way to avoid prejudice from those who disliked his former Dredd work.  And Neimand seemed to come to prominence just as a certain former writer started producing more (non-Dredd) stuff for Rebellion.  Hmmm.

Okay, so I could be very wrong -- but I'd stake at least 45p Earth Money on my theory.
Ah, I don't think we are thinking of the same person. I was thinking of a former script droid who quit writing under exceptionally trying circumstances, and who might therefore have valid personal reasons for wanting to keep his return to the prog on the down-low. But Grennie has said that he knows Niemand personally, and that he's a writer who works outside comics under his own name, and uses the pseudonym to distinguish his comics from his non-comics work. Kind of like JK Rowling using the name Robert Galbraith to distinguish her transphobic detective stories from her racist YA fantasy. Except that Niemand hasn't been forced to "accidentally" reveal his true identity because nobody was buying his pseudonymously-written stuff.

IndigoPrime

Why are so many people here dancing around a name? If you think it's person X, just say it.