Main Menu

Prog 2324 - The Law Enforcer

Started by Barrington Boots, 20 March, 2023, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 March, 2023, 09:55:18 AMWhy are so many people here dancing around a name? If you think it's person X, just say it.
Dunno really. Whilst most people will probably be able to guess who I'm talking about, actually saying the name feels like crossing a line. Especially as I've been told off for invading this person's privacy on here before.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Monarch

who cares?

I wonder if we had a forum back in the 80s when 2000ad and eagle were almost exclusively written by the wagner/grant grouping would we be having the same discussion then? its all very silly imho

the niemand droid whoever they may be is a great writer and has written some of my fave dredds in recent memory and tbh thats all i care about

Magnetica

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 March, 2023, 04:58:14 PMthe niemand droid whoever they may be is a great writer and has written some of my fave dredds in recent memory and tbh thats all i care about

Yeah complete agree with that. I haven't got a clue who it is, and I suspect when/ if name is ever revealed, there is going to be a big chance I haven't actually heard of them anyway.

So on that basis it's they're just Ken Neimand to me.

It's not as if I know any of the creators beyond their work for Tharg anyway.

The Corinthian

Quote from: nxylas on 26 March, 2023, 09:02:31 AMKind of like JK Rowling using the name Robert Galbraith to distinguish her transphobic detective stories from her racist YA fantasy.

Once again I'm going to be that guy and point out that publicly opposing a misogynist cult whose goals include giving male sex offenders unfettered access to women's prisons and girls' changing rooms doesn't make one "transphobic". And the attempts to find examples of racism in the works of an author who dared to speak out against an atrociously antisemitic politician (who has since been kicked out of his former party in disgrace) is a really embarrassing case of sour grapes.

The Corinthian

But back to the actual Prog... I really can't see this is the end for Proteus Vex as there's clearly a lot more story to tell, not least about the Flesh Pilots.

Plus we were promised "wars to come" - plural - back in the very first episode. It's not over by a long chalk.

nxylas

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 March, 2023, 06:04:58 PM
Quote from: The Monarch on 26 March, 2023, 04:58:14 PMthe niemand droid whoever they may be is a great writer and has written some of my fave dredds in recent memory and tbh thats all i care about

Yeah complete agree with that. I haven't got a clue who it is, and I suspect when/ if name is ever revealed, there is going to be a big chance I haven't actually heard of them anyway.

So on that basis it's they're just Ken Neimand to me.

It's not as if I know any of the creators beyond their work for Tharg anyway.
Yes, I agree, believe it or not. Wish I hadn't said anything now. It's quite likely that I won't have heard of him either, particularly as Gordon appears to know him via his gaming work. Other than Solitaire, I don't think I've played a video game in about 30 years. So unless he wrote Atic Atac or Jet Set Willy, his name is unlikely to mean anything to me.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Corinthian on 26 March, 2023, 08:00:26 PMOnce again I'm going to be that guy and point out that publicly opposing a misogynist cult whose goals include giving male sex offenders unfettered access to women's prisons and girls' changing rooms doesn't make one "transphobic".

And, once again, I'm going to point out that Rowling's score card on this matter is a lot more complex than that, including retweeting links to a site containing openly transphobic material and also defining "women" as "people who menstruate"... which isn't even true of cisgender women.

I would also respectfully suggest that describing the trans rights movement as "a misogynist cult" betrays a certain amount of... bias in your position.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 March, 2023, 10:52:43 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 26 March, 2023, 08:00:26 PMOnce again I'm going to be that guy and point out that publicly opposing a misogynist cult whose goals include giving male sex offenders unfettered access to women's prisons and girls' changing rooms doesn't make one "transphobic".

And, once again, I'm going to point out that Rowling's score card on this matter is a lot more complex than that, including retweeting links to a site containing openly transphobic material and also defining "women" as "people who menstruate"... which isn't even true of cisgender women.

I would also respectfully suggest that describing the trans rights movement as "a misogynist cult" betrays a certain amount of... bias in your position.

You all have every right to derail this thread (it's everyone's forum after all), but there's already a thread up and running that seems to have adopted discussion of "culture war related issues". It's the non-confrontationally monikered Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

(Don't get me wrong - I was nearly baited by Nxylas' casual Rowling bashing and the slinging of terms, but I managed to restrain myself.)

Anyway - we've already derailed into the "Who's Niemand?" game - let's try to maintain one derailment at a time. Carry on!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Credo! on 27 March, 2023, 05:26:46 AMYou all have every right to derail this thread

I'm not really sure I did — the derail of the derail was already underway, I just couldn't let "misogynist cult" slide. You'll note, I hope, that I managed to resist the double bait of "it's all the Corbynistas" and "antisemitism" smears in a single sentence.

I will now return you to your original derail.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

One final thing I will say before we return to 'Who's-That-Really?' (with £5000 still on the board, join us after these messages) it would be remis of me to point out Rowling took her pseudonym from a prominent quake psychiatrist and advocate for gay conversion therapy Robert Galbraith in case her red-tory queer scaremongering wasn't self evident enough, she really just had to make it that obvious.

Magnetica

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the paper used for the Prog now seems to have a strange waxy quality?

norton canes

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 March, 2023, 06:44:11 AMI just couldn't let "misogynist cult" slide

Don't forget "giving male sex offenders unfettered access to women's prisons", as if they're handed keys to all the cells

Bad City Blue

Millar? Definitely not, I can spot his speech work from thirty paces and am a huge fan.
Ennis (as hinted above)? I don't think so, again doesn't feel like him and I can't see him being as rude and arrogant as "Ken" is online.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Hawkmumbler

I offered Tharg a loan of my party ring and he confirmed Nieman is the sex mad, virulent corpse of Tom Tully.

So there.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 March, 2023, 06:44:11 AM
Quote from: Credo! on 27 March, 2023, 05:26:46 AMYou all have every right to derail this thread

I'm not really sure I did — the derail of the derail was already underway, I just couldn't let "misogynist cult" slide. You'll note, I hope, that I managed to resist the double bait of "it's all the Corbynistas" and "antisemitism" smears in a single sentence.

I will now return you to your original derail.

I *did* note that. And I only pasted you in as the most recent poster - first shot across the bows goes to Nxylas for "chucking in a casual Rowling". As with Godwin's Law, there must be a Rowling-equivalent term for polarizing an online community? Most folk managed to ignore the Rowling-bait, but then The Corinthian took off his sunglasses and went into FOG* mode.

Anyway - we could combine derailments. Do I have any money on either Corbyn or Rowlbraith being Niemand?

*Fully Outraged Gammon
++ A-Z ++  coma ++