Main Menu

Prog 2345: Criminal Justice!

Started by IndigoPrime, 12 August, 2023, 08:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Great cover by Dan Cornwell, who's fast becoming one of the Dredd greats. Then a nice Droid Life before we're into Dredd. It's still blazing along, with the net tightening. Portals still exists. It's doing nothing for me now. Maxwell's Demon again does contemporary magic far better, even if the ending (as in, the let-off) feels a bit odd. Hoping for more of this series, and preferably in small, tight bursts like this for a bit.

Hershey and Dredd have a chat, which doesn't feel entirely Dredd. I dunno. Dredd placing himself above the system isn't an alien concept from Wagner, but it really does feel like Hershey would tell him to go fuck himself for never taking the chair, rather than letting him off. Still a good series, mind. And then Azimuth. Still annoyed. Still enjoying it. Probably my favourite thing in this particular issue.

Azimuth > Maxwell > Dredd > Hershey > Portals 4/5 again. And hoping Portals doesn't run much longer. Next week is another Regened with – long sigh – yet more bloody Lowborn High. I guess someone must like it. We're also getting more Cadet Dredd, a Future Shock and another episode of Renk. Somehow, I doubt I'll be saying everything but one of these is good seven days from now, more's the pity.

Tjm86

I think the point made last week (I think) about Portals having too many plot threads going at the same time is probably a fair one.  It feels like it is trying to be a little bit too clever for its own good.  Perhaps if it had tried to focus on just one of those it might have made a little more sense.

Would agree on Maxwell's Demon.  It is an improvement on Portals (or is it Black Goo?  I'm not even sure what the title of the damn strip is, never mind what is going on ...). I would have to say though it is not a patch on the likes of Thistlebone for tapping into that 'Wicker Man' vibe, try as it might. 

In some respects it illustrates the mistake Goo / Portals / Whatever makes.  It would have been better off as a Thr3ller to establish the concept.  MD is taking the opportunity to explore different aspects of the concept and give us time to get to grips with it, figuring out whether there is mileage in it long term.

... and my reaction to Lowborn High was exactly the same ... seriously?  The fact that Renk is a returnee surprises me ... I have zero recollection of that from before.  That cannot be a good sign. At the risk of having to clear up worms, it has been a while since Regened has offered up anything inspiring. 

In fact I would have to say that I find myself agreeing with your review pretty much IP.  Although my ranking would be Dredd > Azimuth > Hershey > Maxwell .................... > Portals.

IndigoPrime

The problem I have with Portals is that none of the threads as they are particularly interest me. So it's messy and feels like it lacks substance. The latter might be unfair, but I really have no interest in going back to check, in much the way that there might be something amazing in Skip Tracer but I have other things to read.

I recall thinking Renk was fine. My main gripe last time, bar some storytelling oddness, was that the comic could so easily have introduced another female character and chose not to. Alas, that appears to be a theme with too much of Rebellion's output for kids. (Mini-IP gave up on Monster Fun because – and I quote – "there aren't enough girls". The Beano and The Phoenix has imbalance too, but not to the same degree.)

As for Regened as a whole, I so want to like it. And I have enjoyed many of them. What concerns me is it's been a good long while since I enjoyed one. Good all-ages should just be good comics. (I get the "it's not for you" argument, but I'll happily read The Phoenix whenever Mini-IP gives me the chance, before the latest one is squirrelled away.)

Richard

I think the trouble with Regened is that Rebellion thinks that "all ages" means "for 7 year olds only."

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

broodblik

This almost shouts cover the year. We had some great covers so far.

Barrington Boots

Stunning cover from Dan Cornwell! and the art is very high quality throughout.

Still enjoying this Dredd. I didn't consider Asher was feeding info back to the JD but I think Dredd's still going to kill him :(

Portals business as usual ie. not doing it for me which is a shame. The concepts are there but it just feels both lacking in focus and character.

Thriller - this was alright - I agree the ending was weird - have they just wiped out a village, or if the victims were mainly stunned, why were they shooting them all? Mostly enjoyable but wouldn't be unhappy if this is the end of the series.

Hershey this was also alright - I also kind of expected more fireworks between Dredd and Hershey. The character work on Hershey is superb. Feels like this is about to wrap up and it's going to have do do something good to beat Hershey's Wagner ending.

Azimuth. Is that a Heather Locklear pun? That's showing the age of the readership! Enjoyable this week, the art is an absolute delight.

Boooo Regened next week. I actually thought Renk was pretty good last time out. Hopefully there'll be enough Lowborn after this to do the collected edition and we can leave it at that..
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Richard

...and if you think that cover is something, wait til you see Dan's art on Spector this month!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 14 August, 2023, 09:10:54 PM...and if you think that cover is something, wait til you see Dan's art on Spector this month!

There's a bit of page design in that episode where he does something I don't think I've ever seen before... and I've worked on about 70,000 pages of comics, so that's saying something! It's not in-your-face in its cleverness, but it's smart and incredibly effective.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

That's a lovely cover. Touch of Manaton, and of my own favourite Dredd artist ever, Jock.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Been incredible seeing Dan rocket his way from 'one of the lads' about conventions through zine work, small press and eventually up to full on Droid. Astonishing cover.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 August, 2023, 07:12:20 AMThat's a lovely cover. Touch of Manaton, and of my own favourite Dredd artist ever, Jock.

McMahon, even. Feck sake.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Corinthian

I've come to blank the Regened Progs but there's still nothing more dispiriting in a new prog than seeing the phrase "...returns in two weeks' time!" at the end of a strip.

Portals & Black Goo hasn't been doing anything for me but is it hinting at an appearance by [REDACTED FAMOUS COMICS CHARACTER I CAN'T NAME BECAUSE THE SITE WON'T LET ME INSERT SPOILERS ANY MORE] at the end of this prog's episode? Tomlinson haswritten for him before in Tooth (sort of).