Main Menu

Prog 2369 - Turning the World Upside Down

Started by Barrington Boots, 12 February, 2024, 10:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Saturday Prog!

Dredd still absolutely rules, I am hugely invested in this story. The Domo stuff looks to be more or less wrapped up, but I don't think it is for a second, especially with boyd-controlling snuffbots being highlighted last week. Meanwhile Maitland really shines this week. Instead of being a passive character whilst the story awaits for Dredd to either save her or meet her end, as soon as she gets suspicious of Hernandez she basically works it all out straight away and takes steps to resolve. I think Hernandez is in trouble, and it looks like there's still a reveal to come.

The English Astronaut wraps. This felt a bit slight overall, accentuated by the art with its large panels and open backgrounds, but also an easy and enjoyable read. Not 100% sure I followed the ending but that doesn't matter.

Full Tilt Boogie also felt like a slight read this week with a lot of big, sprawling panels and light dialogue, but some terrific scenery on display and I'm still digging this.

Enemy Earth finale. I'm not unhappy this is done, but at the same time the ending did feel a bit quick - not Black Hole or Meltdown Man rushed, but I think it could have paced itself better? I hated this series when it started and although I never got into the art, on a reread I ended up finding it a decent, breathless read with soem good ideas, so the last couple of pages definitely worked for me.

Thistlebone remains fantastic. Callum looks doomed. That last panel- magnificently creepy! Can't get enough of this.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Le Fink

Cover not one of Horsman's best, he has done a couple of good 'uns before but this looks like one of the story panels was enlarged. It looks very regened. Sorry!

Dredd - Maitland's story is brilliantly told and drawn. Love it. They could take the Dredd bits out and this tale would not suffer.

The English Astronaut. Err, ah, what? Quite enjoyed the barmy journey.  Not sure about the ending. A trans allegory?

Enemy Earth agree with Boots this ended too quickly. The outcome for Jules didn't ring true for me - too neat and happy! Still pretty decent and exciting overall, I was happy to read it.

Full Tilt Boogie has that bande dessine feel, very nicely done, with some terrific double page spreads. Great addition to the prog, enjoying it so far.

And then SPOILERS we come to Thistlebone which I'm struggling with a bit. No follow up to what happened to the poor actress character who was so viciously exploited last week. Instead we get to see another character getting his face beaten in. A whole page is dedicated to this being rendered fairly realistically and explicitly. This doesn't appeal to me, no matter how beautifully painted it is. And the transition from the lighter young teen feel of the previous stories to this one is jarring, to say the least.

So good prog, only Thistlebone leaving a bad taste in the mouth.

Colin YNWA

Well a bit of a dip. In large as English Astronaut kinda just finishes without any punch or excitment, think Barrington Boots nails it

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 12 February, 2024, 10:18:07 AMThe English Astronaut wraps. This felt a bit slight overall, accentuated by the art with its large panels and open backgrounds, but also an easy and enjoyable read. Not 100% sure I followed the ending but that doesn't matter.

It just didn't do enough. Shame felt like this one had potential.

Elsewhere its very much as you where. Dredd is immaculate - though I'm a little nervous about Maitland wondering into the lions den. Henry Flint again shows he's the GOAT.

Full Tilt Boogie looks glorious and that redeems the fact its luxuriarting in its pacing a little this week with an unnecessary double page spread.

Enemy Earth reaches its conclusion.

Thistlebone - sweet mother of God... well not God at all - this is unholy creepy goodness. Just magnificent.

IndigoPrime

I enjoyed this one, despite some minor shortcomings. The logo on the cover is fun. The cover itself feels a bit messy. Also: more Scarlet Traces previewed, and Kek-W back with two strips next week – Indigo Prime and Deadworld.

Dredd remains superb. Six episodes in and it's still coiled like a snake, ready to strike. But I don't know where it's going to go, which is the best kind of story. Again, I have a feeling of crushing inevitability about Maitland, but maybe not?

3rillers has some great individual scenes, but the art again feels a bit too sparse for me. The strip for me needs a re-read to see how it all hangs together. More broadly, it feels a bit multiverse: fuck around with time and you create spurs. Return to your time and the spurs remain, but you can potentially change your own timeline's future. Dunno about the trans thing. I mean, maybe? I just got the impression it was more than multiple possibilities could mean anything, given that one of the characters was an otter, one was a dinosaur and one was a literal cartoon character.

Full Tilt Boogie was rather more straightforward and, well, very little happened. It looks lovely, and I'm glad 2000 AD affords strips the ability to shake up the pace. But I can't help feeling this one would have been better served with a two-parter in a single Prog at this stage.

Enemy Earth almost felt like Meltdown Man: "OK, stop now". It felt like a very quick wrap up but perhaps there's little point in labouring the point. It would have been nice to get perhaps one more page, though, entirely devoted to things turning back. That little picture of a bird reverting to form – OK. But far more of that would have been great – and a helpful contrast to the penultimate page.

Thistlebone: indeed this continues to be horrific in multiple ways. I can certainly see where Fink is coming from. But it's still working well enough for me, and finally we get that little hint in the final frame.

Dredd > Full Tilt > Thistlebone > Enemy Earth > 3hriller for me this week. And, honestly, a bit of a gap between each.

broodblik

A good solid prog, looking forward for the return of Indigo Prime

Dredd – The focus is now back on Maitland, and she is not taking it on the chin she is doing her own investigation into Hernandez. Not sure where we are going but I am totally invested in the journey.

3riller – For me this was a missed opportunity it feels like the story ended with a meaningless ending. Not sure what the end message is supposed to convey.

Full Tilt Boogie – This is one of those episodes where nothing really happens (could have been on or two panels). I wanted more but I think this one is more to show of some great artwork. Do not get me wrong, I am enjoying this. Nothing wrong with a slow burner episode.

Enemy Earth – Overall the ending is quite predictable but at least it ends in a good way. The last page focuses on the characters rather than the world which in my books makes for the better ending. The series as a whole was not always to my liking, and I am sure I will never re-read this. My biggest gripe will always be the art, not my favorite.

Thistlebone – Some really disturbing images as the jitters continue. This is what horror stories should be slowly but steadily creeping towards the final stab. The last panel is our reveal.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Le Fink on 12 February, 2024, 07:18:55 PMAnd the transition from the lighter young teen feel of the previous stories to this one is jarring, to say the least.

Got to disagree. It was the other way about for me, Thislebone is exactly what I'd want from my Prog while the previous two teen/regened thrills I've been skipping the last couple o weeks.

Dredd top thrill still, again this is what I come the the hem of Tharg's garments for.

The bad news that Deedworld is is returning is balanced by the top news that Scarlet Traces is returning Yah! Tharg, let's make the hardback Trade match the previous 3 please!! :-X
DDT did a job on me

The Corinthian

The English Astronaut felt like a severely cut down version of Paul Cornell's novel 'British Summertime'. But while the book is about something very serious and material (climate change), the point here seems to be a much more nebulous "modern life is confusing/rubbish/full of people disagreeing with me".

Richard

I think that's spot on. I enjoyed the first two episodes of the 3riller, but the last one was confusing, and that's the kindest word I have for it.

Max Headroom

Anyone else get a Rev. Ian Paisley vibe from the Bishop of the Reformed Church of Grud and Guns in Dredd?

Le Fink

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 February, 2024, 01:25:17 PM
Quote from: Le Fink on 12 February, 2024, 07:18:55 PMAnd the transition from the lighter young teen feel of the previous stories to this one is jarring, to say the least.

Got to disagree. It was the other way about for me, Thislebone is exactly what I'd want from my Prog while the previous two teen/regened thrills I've been skipping the last couple o weeks.

Fair enough! To be fair it is a high quality story and I would like but these occasional hardcore panels put me off. While the previous ones (broken leg; terrified, naked, noosed woman) at least moved the story on I think this week's is a bit gratuitous - it was perfectly clear what had happened to the guy from the hospital-based panels. The whole face punchy page could have been removed with no detriment to the story, IMO. I feel like it's only in there 'cos the creatives want to put an OTT image in each episode to wind me up

Le Fink

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 February, 2024, 01:25:17 PM
And to be clear, I'm not saying I prefer the teen-aimed stuff to the more adult oriented fare like Dredd (although I can understand why anyone might think that's what I was saying). I'm saying the prog is almost schizophrenic having 3 stories aimed at younger types and two strips being adult, one of the adult strips being very adult IMO. And that to me makes this current prog line up seem a bit weird.

Richard

Quoteit was perfectly clear what had happened to the guy from the hospital-based panels. The whole face punchy page could have been removed with no detriment to the story, IMO.

That's true, but to be fair, one of the reasons I read 2000AD (not the only reason, but one of the main ones) is for the violence, and I'm probably not the only one, and Tharg presumably knows that.

Le Fink

Quote from: Richard on 14 February, 2024, 04:31:32 PM
Quoteit was perfectly clear what had happened to the guy from the hospital-based panels. The whole face punchy page could have been removed with no detriment to the story, IMO.

That's true, but to be fair, one of the reasons I read 2000AD (not the only reason, but one of the main ones) is for the violence, and I'm probably not the only one, and Tharg presumably knows that.
Hum yes point taken and let's face it, me too... I just prefer it more fantastical. Like Hard Boiled (the film and actually the comic if I think about it) is incredibly violent but in a silly way. It's been a little too real in Thistlebone for my taste.

Don't worry I'll shut up about it now!

nxylas

Quote from: Le Fink on 12 February, 2024, 07:18:55 PMThe English Astronaut. Err, ah, what? Quite enjoyed the barmy journey.  Not sure about the ending. A trans allegory?
A very obvious Quantum Leap reference, but why?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!