Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Aware of this schism (hm, Skizzm?)... For the record, my progs rhyme with frogs. Always been aware it's shortened from 'programme' and still preferred 'prawg', see absolutely no problem with this and it just sounds better. In this bonkers-future world of podcasts, thrillcasts, etc. I detect 'prawgs' might be in the majority? But obviously I do hear both. Was it ever 'resolved' ?

"Prog Bloag" then  ?  :) That is kind of pleasing...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Buttonman on 23 May, 2015, 01:44:08 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 23 May, 2015, 01:23:23 PM
Prog Blog

This could reignite the old is it pronounced 'Pr-oag' or 'Pr-og'. I'm a 'Pr-oag' person as I'm wrong

FTFY

Albion

I'm not sure when I started my slog.
The amount of Progs I get through in a week varies. I read the issues before the Star Lord merger some time ago and then started from Prog 86 fairly recently.

Another fun part of it is recognising the names of some of the letter writers and fan artists who I now know or have gone on to work for Tharg.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Albion on 23 May, 2015, 02:37:41 PM
Another fun part of it is recognising the names of some of the letter writers and fan artists who I now know or have gone on to work for Tharg.

Yeah it certainly is. It for this reason and ones like it that I'll always prefer to have the original Progs (surely its always as in rhymes with frogs as the alternatiave are just uck! Even if it is short for Programme Pr-oags is just horrible!) over neat and easy trade collections. Another thing I love is the way the ads in the Progs really help give the stories a context about the time and environment they were created in.

Buttonman

This fine thread (along with 'Letters to the Green Dude') contains of of the art and letters that could be scraped together for future creators - might spoil the fun of stumbling across them though!

sheridan

Well, the first bit was surprisingly easy - I now possess a set of 22 Tornado comics.

I could do with a checklist, with dates easily accessible and sortable. 

While Barney and Termight are certainly going to come in handy, they're not quite what I'm looking for...

If there isn't already a Google Spreadsheet out there then I shall have to create one (and then share it, naturally).

Dash Decent

Quote from: sheridan on 23 May, 2015, 01:10:50 PM
I'm thinking of some sort of blog - trying to think of some sort of angle that others haven't covered before (though if I can't , I'll probably just do it anyway).  First things first - got to come up with a name for it... 

Strontium Blog
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

judda fett

'Star-lag and the Torn-A-holes of 2000 Maniacs'

Nice and snappy like.

judda fett

... Or maybe just '2000 Maniacs'

Prog Busters
Proglodyte Review
Backprogs and Re-joggin' (oof)

judda fett

Re-Prog Man
Prog, All Bar None

I'm also throwing in a free blog title for anyone wishing to start a blog dedicated to the Dark Knight... 'Cowl Movements'.

sheridan

I've now started a blog (title possibly subject to change).

As I'm going along, I'll be updating the Wikia for all things 2000AD (one of three now, though the other two are centred on Dredd alone).  To this end I've put together a quick spreadsheet of the tales which were printed in Tornado

sheridan

Not got much on this weekend, weather lately has got a bit cold, so I'm going to start today.

Still not entirely sure where my Star Lords are, but I've got almost a year's worth of progs, the summer supercomic and the first annuals lined up.
I'm setting myself a few rules:

•     read each issue, cover-to-cover, in the order that they were released (including annuals, specials and sibling titles)
  •     no distractions – with the exception of classical music or music with lyrics in a language I don't understand
  •     once I've finished each prog I can take to the internet, updating the blog, this thread and the Wiki
  •     I'll decide what to do about the books when I get a little nearer to them – don't particularly want to break up the week-to-week schedule with 300-page novels, but I do still want to include them
  •     other than holidays where I'm away from home, I shall keep up with the original weekly publishing schedule (so at an absolute minimum I'll always read one prog a week, not including the latest releases) – obviously to get through the whole lot in less than thirty-eight years I'll need to read considerably faster than that, but this is a minimum to set myself, even when life gets in the way
That's about it – time to make myself a coffee and get started – I won't go into the garden to play with the space spinner though.  Apart from anything else, I don't think the cat would play along (if only I had a dog!)

sheridan

Prog 1 - more a commentary than a review - I'm sure there's nothing in there that you lot don't already know

TordelBack

Well I didn't realise 'Drokk!' originated in Dan Dare, or that it was in Prog 1, so you're off to a good start! Any Betelgeusian expressions other than Galactic Groats?

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 September, 2015, 06:29:41 PM
Well I didn't realise 'Drokk!' originated in Dan Dare, or that it was in Prog 1, so you're off to a good start! Any Betelgeusian expressions other than Galactic Groats?

Good point - there's no Borag Thungg, but he does sign off with a Splundig Vur Thrigg!