Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

I presume AMC have learnt from Walking Dead and are making a TV version of Preacher universe rather than a direct adaption of the Comic.

Works for me. The new characters, storyline directions and surprises of WD have been most welcome.

Glad Cassidy is full "Oirish" though, feared an English Sid Vicious punk from the still.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

TordelBack

This was never really going to be for me, but Cassidy's excruciatingly bad accent may well make it unwatchable. 

However, Jesse was a badass rebel before he got the Voice, even if that's not the order that things were presented in the comic, surely that's what we're seeing here?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 November, 2015, 11:11:16 AM
This was never really going to be for me, but Cassidy's excruciatingly bad accent may well make it unwatchable. 

However, Jesse was a badass rebel before he got the Voice, even if that's not the order that things were presented in the comic, surely that's what we're seeing here?

I assume Cassidy is the Irish-vamp and not surprised he's sounds like he doesn't the role and that part right at the end sounds like proposition. Not that know enough about the source material to know if this did go on between.....

Imagine that Half-Demon/Angel Priest and Vampire doing that!

I had hoped that the actor being a natural scot might get the Irish accent right, he's comes off a bit retarded when asking about....

What type of Priest are you?

Just like a toddler, and not mature potential vampire or vampire the case may be.

Being no expert of the Irish talking. I couldn't tell you the difference between  Northern, from Eastern, Western, and Southern, myself.

Yet, I have phonetic sense that appreciates what most people sounds best in a lot of accents I know that isn't it. Regardless of my own back ground. 

Have a listen  to these

I only remember David Boreanaz (Who's really of more latin extraction!)  would once in while talk Irishly man in flashback scenes in Angel the only spin off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Where he actually was Irish vampire embraced by the female mayor of Defiance. I always thought
his voice and look perfect for a mature Slaine.

As Brad Pitt, I relish his Irishness in Snatch, but not the other film The Devils Own. I can really imagine his voice for the impromptu Irish boxer perfect for wandering Celtic barbarian.

Never thought about Tom Cruise allusions to his family roots and Colin Farrell's natural voice.
Yet it can't really be acting if it's not fake!

As for Gerard Butler who in the same boat as the Joseph Gilgun both being scots that don't really convince me of sounding like they come anywhere from the near west.

If I didn't know better, I'd say he purposely.....

This fellow might have ben the perfect choice.....

I remember his voice when he used it that way in Jonah Hex.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 08 November, 2015, 05:32:28 AM
......as the Joseph Gilgun both being scots

Joseph Gilgun isn't Scottish.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

TordelBack

So often the problem with 'the Irish accent' is the assumption that there is one such thing. I work with lads that grew up within an hour's drive of me and I can barely understand a word. See also: English accents, of which America seems to believe there are exactly two: Mockney and Hugh Grant.

Given the diversity of accents in the States thenselves, you would think that dialect coaches would tell their students to pick a specific accent and just stick to it.  Most of those guys in TS's video flip between two and three regions in a single sentence (with the exception of Boreanaz, who just misses the point entirely) - Cruise, for example, has a convincing enough stab at one, then switches to another, destroying all credibility mid-sentence.  Pitt gets this right in Snatch, going for mental levels of overexagerration, but sticking with it - so it works. As Aiden Gillen has shown, this isn't a problem that Irish actors themselves are immune to.

Professor Bear

Happens with American accents, too.  I've heard people ask why Spider-Man doesn't sound like a New Yorker - although to be fair, they might just be wondering why he doesn't pepper his speech with obscenity and racially-abuse muslims on the street without any discernible provocation.

The trailer makes it look like a retooled third season of Banshee, and they've buried the supernatural elements, for whatever reason.  Probably can't be as boring as the last season or so of Walking Dead, mind, so I'll give it a go.

Goaty

Goaty

Pilot will debut in US on 22nd May.

And here new poster;

Ghastly McNasty

I will be watching this but have set myself to be massively disappointed. My fave comic of all time. Please don't fuck it up.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 14 March, 2016, 08:26:38 PM
I will be watching this but have set myself to be massively disappointed. My fave comic of all time. Please don't fuck it up.

What McNasty said, although maybe more a favourite comic of the time than all time.
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 November, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

Oh no.  I'll watch the trailer later, but I'm bracing myself for the worst.

Obviously the bad accent thing happens with other nationalities too, but when Dublin is where I live and it's excruciating when you hear a crap version of the accent with which you're most familiar.

I liked Cassidy in the comic; far more than I liked Jesse and Tulip.  He's a deeply flawed character, but he's not presented as anything else  (unlike Jesse who in my book is a smart-arsed, obnoxious bully who Garth Ennis seems to think is a prince amongst men).  I'll be sad if they fuck him up.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

They blow up [spoiler]Tom Cruise[/spoiler] in the pilot apparently!!!!!! :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JayzusB.Christ

Just watched the trailer - Cassidy's accent wasn't quite as bad as I'd expected.

Dweezil - are you sure?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

dweezil2

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2016, 11:27:52 PM
Just watched the trailer - Cassidy's accent wasn't quite as bad as I'd expected.

Dweezil - are you sure?

Check out comicbook resources!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JayzusB.Christ

You're right, bejaysus and begorra!