Main Menu

Prog 2322 - Corporate Carnage!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 March, 2023, 08:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

Is it just me, or does the end of this week's Dredd suggest we're unexpectedly about to drop back into the various subplots about Judge Maitland that have been chugging away in the background for years?

moly

After reading this weeks issue I'm happy this is the last mills strip it's so past it time compared to the out and proteus vex, mills has turned from the cool kid wearing a leather jacket when you was a kid to the sad old man talking rubbish in the pub

Magnetica

Why does the art in Joe Pineapples swap from colour to black and white and back again?

Usually there is some story reason for it, but if that's the case here, I don't get it.

Or did Clint Langley just run out of time to colour it?

broodblik

Normally it is done to wen a scene is in the past. But in the last episode it does not make sense since its should all be in the present.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Quote from: Jacqusie on 05 March, 2023, 07:35:41 PMit's a bit like trying to stop your mates embarrassing themselves when their trousers are round their ankles staggering around

Sadly (but also amusingly) this best sums up my thoughts. Although 'Tin Man' has shown brief flashes of the old Mills brilliance, this concluding instalment is an utter shambles. It reads like there wasn't a proper ending and Pat had about four different ideas so knocked up a couple of pages for each one and ran them all together, and the muddled art styles only emphasises this. The page that's just a list of companies is embarrassing. Sorry.

Onto better things, 'Succession' builds with characteristic Niemand panache and ends with a fantastic panel. I'm actually on board with Manco's towering respirators now (hey, every Dredd art droid needs a trademark!) and his Lawmaster on the opening page is phenomenal - love all that empty space underneath.

The spectacular tapestry that is The Out gathers more threads and invites a complete re-read of the weavings so far, in order to appreciate its intricate beauty. The Order, by contrast, seems content to tie everything off with the minimum of complication. And to continue the loom allegory, an electrifying instalment of Proteus Vex pulls the rug out from under our feet with a shock twist.

Oh and the Coveney/Blythe cover is the absolute business. Nice to see a bit of comic art capturing a fast moment like that not spoiled by Photoshopped blur.

Grush

Quote from: norton canes on 09 March, 2023, 10:06:05 AMThe page that's just a list of companies is embarrassing. 

That reminded me of the Little Britain sketch with the Barbara Cartland character dictating from the phone book to fill up the word count of her novel.

nxylas

Quote from: Grush on 09 March, 2023, 10:45:26 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 09 March, 2023, 10:06:05 AMThe page that's just a list of companies is embarrassing. 

That reminded me of the Little Britain sketch with the Barbara Cartland character dictating from the phone book to fill up the word count of her novel.
Or a Tony Parsehole column in right that's 500 words inv enc.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Timothy

To be fair that page is a call-back to an almost identical page with different companies in Ro-Busters. It's not a great joke to start with, but as a call-back it sort of works. I think it's a gag that's been reused a few times. Perhaps too many.

IndigoPrime

Given Mills's proclivity for recycling, that just irked for me.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 March, 2023, 05:52:32 PMIs it just me, or does the end of this week's Dredd suggest we're unexpectedly about to drop back into the various subplots about Judge Maitland that have been chugging away in the background for years?

The Maitland storyline is one of Rob Williams'so I doubt she'll show up here.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 March, 2023, 01:59:12 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 08 March, 2023, 05:52:32 PMIs it just me, or does the end of this week's Dredd suggest we're unexpectedly about to drop back into the various subplots about Judge Maitland that have been chugging away in the background for years?

The Maitland storyline is one of Rob Williams'so I doubt she'll show up here.

unfortunately
DDT did a job on me

73north

I very much enjoyed the entire Prog - apart from THE ORDER - which i will be glad to see the back of .

I am fairly ( actually amazed ) at the harsh words for Pat Mill's Joe Pineapples ( first scripted in 2016 )
it's not Pat's Fault - this took nearly 7 or 8 years to appear in print -
let that sink in , if you ignore everything else I write here .

I thoroughly enjoyed ;) the story - and I add , I am a subscriber since 2012 .
the old saying comes to mind , if you have nothing nice to say , best say nothing .
Thank you Mr Mills for all your work  .

Magnetica

One of the best things about the forum is the debate about what is good and what isn't. It's way better than some Facebook Groups I'm in, for some band, where there is little critical appraisal and some people  appear to think that everything the band has ever put out is wonderful.

So I think saying you don't like a particular strip is fine, so long as reasons are given and it doesn't decend into personal criticism. I think on the whole the forum stays on the right side of that line.

The Monarch

Quote from: 73north on 12 March, 2023, 02:21:17 PMthe old saying comes to mind , if you have nothing nice to say , best say nothing .
Thank you Mr Mills for all your work  .

but yet you are happy to see the back of the order?

Barrington Boots

I also like it when we get some differing opinions here - if anything we don't get quite as much debate as I'd like on the Prog thread tbh! I'm also in a couple of groups for music things where there's very little critical analysis of stuff and things are either a huge love-in, or everything gets slagged off. The different views on here is one of the things I like here: as an anthology I never expect to like 100% of the Prog and I never read someones opinion that's not the same as mine and think 'oh, that's wrong' - in fact I'm really interested if they say why they like something I didn't, because it encourages me to go back and look at it with a fresh perspective.

It's quite cool to read a positive opinion on Joe Pineapples, because the almost overwhelmingly negative response it had here was a bit uncomfortable. It really wasn't for me, but I'm glad someone was digging it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.