Main Menu

Prog 2328: Mega-City Death Trip!

Started by IndigoPrime, 15 April, 2023, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Lovely John McCrea cover and a fun Droid Life, before we're into Dredd, which has two intertwined narratives around an immigrant couple of the criminal kind. Niemand throws some shade regarding recent Judge Death strips. Judge Wrexlex probably needs to be written up for unprofessionalism and not arresting a perp for lewd depictions of a Judge (or something).

Durham Red continues to be great. Terrifying attack pigeons. (Although I wish the 'four way mouth' thing would go away. So many monster designs use that now.) Anyway, it was all very nicely choreographed.

Then The Order barrels towards a conclusion, seemingly in fast forward. Where it's left feels like the start of another long book. Anyone know when this ends?

Enemy Earth is still fine. Still comes across to me like an awkward fit – a bit too tonally grim for Regened and yet a bit young for 2000 AD. Not bad. And the reveal at the end shows a PM that, frankly, I'd still take over the current one and his four predecessors.

Then Rogue Trooper continues to have a lot of fun with its premise. Some really great dialogue from Ennis here, notably "Rogue?" "Busy." and "We've got incoming atmocraft. Sort of."

Another solid Prog for me, with two standouts, a good start to a Dredd, and a couple of strips that haven't really clicked with me but that I'm still happy reading.

Rogue > Red > Dredd > Enemy > Order

Rogue my favourite again. That's quite something...

WhizzBang

That is an extraordinarily good cover. I hope this makes it to a t-shirt at some point.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 April, 2023, 11:21:42 AMThen The Order barrels towards a conclusion, seemingly in fast forward. Where it's left feels like the start of another long book. Anyone know when this ends?
Prog 2029, so one more episode left.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Barrington Boots

Saturday prog! I've had a very cool day today and this arriving started it all off.

Absolute stunner of a cover.

Really digging this Dredd, as Niemand flips from grim to ridiculous. Incredibly daft fun and beautifully illustrated: Googe's Dredd is very clean cut but everything else is so full of personality, he draws some fantastic expressions and tons of small touches like the 'official' lewd calendat, the little hats on the Cal-Hab droids and a cameo there from Survival Geeks too. Definite dig in there about a current meg strip. Great.

Durham Red also really enjoyable this week. Excellently put together episode. Stupid pigeons!

The Order It really does feel like it's finishing too fast - not in a Meltdown Man kind of way, but like maybe this could have wound down over a couple of series? It's all breathless action and that harks back to the original series (but this time with more robots and less cool characters) but I feel like the story deserved a bit more. With another quest hinted at and no Anna still, I cannot for the life of me see how this is going to wrap up in the time it has left.

Enemy Earth - skipped it.

Rogue Trooper so - the dialogue is great and the art is absolutely fantastic but there's no story here to interest me. Rogue, who is basically superpowered in this setting, massacres a bunch of totally outclassed dudes in a conflict he has nothing to do with. He's under no threat and we're unsure of his motivation. I still have hopes this will turn around for me, but right now I'm not feeling it at all.

Despite the negatives, top Prog.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomontherun94

Enemy Earth isn't blowing me away but I'm digging it. Love Cavan Scott's other work and it reminds me a lot of the YA stuff I used to read back when I was a teen, back in the far flung past of... the late 2000s. Honestly, I think Rebellion are really missing a trick if they don't release a manga-style b/w version, maybe recut a little to fit the size format more. That's where the YA market is now and I would have absolutely loved something like this series back then

broodblik

A good prog warped around a good cover. 4 stars again waiting for the elusive 5 stars

Dredd – These characters were introduced in meg 447 with a story called "Little Shop of Terrors". We have the same creative team continuing the story and what a joy of a first episode. Googe even give as a few easter-eggs with some of the Survival Geeks members being featured.

Durham Red – The story does not really move forward but we get a good scene featuring the birds on the descend to the planet. A good episode and next week we mots likely start the main mission.

The Order – The action continues as the battle looks like it has now concluded. It still feels like even if this part of the saga comes to an end that there is still some story left on the table especially related to Anna. We will see if everything and everyone wraps up next week.

Enemy Earth – Well little mor interesting part but still not enough to pull me in. Art for me is still the weakest link with a story that has been told a few thousand times before.

Rogue Trooper – Rogue fights for him and his team's life. We still much in the early times of the story and I am sure their will be more too it than just the WW1 setting. So far, I am fully engrossing in the story with some lovely art from Goddard.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Finally got to the Prog. It actually came Monday but for reason's I won't bore you with I've not had the chance to read it the last couple of nights (and might be the weekend before I get to the Meg to damnit!). All of which is a shame as its a pretty fine comic.

A wonderfully playful Dredd with Niemand gleefully dancing with the Grennie theorists and dropping in a very cute Zombie cameo or two to add to the mix. You little minxes you.

Durham Red is violently playful too. All talons and mutant pigeons during freefall. You know ya typical GGC fare. Great fun.

The Order is likewise full of playful and joyeous virtue, but it is alas a little rushed like an old skool Prog series ending. Well we have two Progs better just wrap this baby up. Still really looking forward to the final part next week. Will miss this one and hope they don't fumble it at the line.

Enemy Earth I mean it plays with being good. Exciting, the art's storytelling style bounce one wide at times but its fine.

Then we get to the most playful of them all Rogue Trooper sees everyone involved just having a whale of a time and just crack it out the park while doing just what they were born to do. The dialogue brims with glee. The action is action packed and the sense of tension slowly creeps in. Just brilliant.

So yeah a fine, fine Prog, just wish I'd had time to play with it more!

norton canes

That's a phenomenal McCrea cover, all the better for having that stark white background. And nice to see a run-down of the other stories! How about we have a few multi-character covers now? Come on Tharg, they're not just for Christmas!

Immaculate art also in 'Disciples of Death', as one would expect from the Goodge droid. A little bit of Bolland's Killing Joke cover creeping in there too, and I'm sure I've missed some other Easter eggs (apart from the ones already mentioned). Yeah Dredd looks incredibly clean-cut - almost like Goodge's take on Cadet Dredd for the first ever Regened cover, in fact. Liking the ginger beard judge too, is that a first?

Duochromatic diehards Durham Red and Rogue Trooper are the other big successes this week, the former providing mutant pigeons that are still, frankly, a good deal less revolting than the ones seen on urban streets, while the latter really finds its voice after a couple of exposition-heavy introductory episodes. The fifth page, introducing the cast of characters, is a particular delight.

Yes, like most of us I'm wondering how in Earth(s) The Order can wrap everything in five more pages, especially as a quest to the realm of wyrms appears to be in the offing.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 20 April, 2023, 10:03:01 AMA little bit of Bolland's Killing Joke cover creeping in there too

That's actually Frazer Irving's Judge Death homage to the classic Bolland cover.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

The Monarch

i'm starting to think we are setting up for a sequal series to the order but with a new name

norton canes

IndigoPrime

broodblik