Main Menu

Prog 2337 - Welcome to Azimuth City of the Imagination

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 June, 2023, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

OK, has anybody spotted any of the QR codes yet? I didn't see any in the first episode, but I was always rubbish at spotting the hidden messages in Groo as well.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Enigmatic Dr X

One day, my Prog will come...

Currently getting a Saturday prog delivered every week. Sure, it's the one other subbies got 10 days earlier, but it does mean I am in a nice cycle of getting 2000ad every Saturday!
Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Crikey, never mind another time zone, your thrill power is being channelled from another solar calendar.

Proudhuff

This was a excellent prog with all stories firing on all cylinders and nipples of the cover, statue ones though.

Dredd – Excellent stuff!

Void Runners –  The world looks interesting and intriguing.  Capt A genuinely sound she's been at her stash too, too much.

Durham Red – Worley has redefined Red for me in a good way and moved away from the pin-up doll to a person you must fear.

Azimuth, a lovely euro DB feel to the whole thing!

Rogue Trooper –  Great work by all, this is what I'd hoped for from the master and he's delivered.
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Really good prog this week.  Azimuth looks lovely and is a great read, but my top spot still goes to Rogue.  Never thought I'd say this in the era of the Tough Gronk and that mutant teddy bear thing, but i really hope Garth returns to the prog soon.

The swearing doesn't bother me at all - I know we're not used to Rogue cursing like that, but when four battle-hardened male soldiers spend all their time together, realistically i wouldn't really expect them to speak like choirboys.  Insofar as a blue man who travels in time through a black hole can be said to be realistic, that is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bad City Blue

Well bloody hell, bugger me and all that bullsh1t!  :D

Obviously the swearing didn't bother me, and I'm sad there's only one more episode in the best Rogue Trooper I've ever read.

Dredd is pretty cool and I want to see what happens next.

Durham Red is another experiencing one of the best character stories, with gorgeous art too.

Void Runners is freaky and fun, and it seems to be the best use of Book Cook to date, as he's nailing it.

Azimuth... erm, not sure what's going on at all, bit it might grab me if it's not to clever for it's own good going on
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

nxylas

The swearing jars with me a bit because the strip feels so old-school, with its black and white artwork and casual references to things that happened in the '80s. It wouldn't bother me in a version of Rogue with a more modern aesthetic.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 26 June, 2023, 01:07:14 PMObviously the swearing didn't bother me, and I'm sad there's only one more episode in the best Rogue Trooper I've ever read.

Actually two more to go since it is 13 episodes
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I should note the swearing doesn't unduly bother me personally, but it has two knock-on effects. The first is that parents, by and large, respond very negatively to swearing in media. And while Rogue Trooper is undoubtedly aimed at old gits who remember him from the first time around, it presents possible problems in widening readership to younger folks. Secondly, it erodes the character of the strip to some degree, in much the same way I don't really want Dredd getting shot at and the speech balloon to be: "Shit! Fucking perps! I'll teach those bastards not to fuck with the law!"

Bad City Blue

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2023, 02:57:50 PMI don't really want Dredd getting shot at and the speech balloon to be: "Shit! Fucking perps! I'll teach those bastards not to fuck with the law!"
#

Now I want to see that  :D
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

A.Cow

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 June, 2023, 03:03:20 PMI know we're not used to Rogue cursing like that [...]

The irony here is that we're debating language that most 7-11 year olds have already heard in the payground ... yet nobody blinked an eye at the hero's anthropomorphic rifle torturing & killing an enemy captive.

IndigoPrime

We are. But that is also the reality in which at least some of us live. The penalties for swearing at my kid's school are harsh. She and her friends have it drilled into her to not swear. When Mrs IP or I let a cuss word rip, she pulls us up on it. Quite a few parents might be sweaty themselves, and yet would be genuinely annoyed if such things featured in the media the kids were consuming. Also, I like the silly swearing in 2000 AD. It adds character, and swear words have and do tend to evolve fairly rapidly. (Also, FWIW, this ramps up considerably in 2338 with a line that, in all honesty, I'm genuinely surprised got past the editor. It's... not a good look.)

JayzusB.Christ

I've thought about the possibility of Dredd doing real swearing, and for me it wouldn't work.  Unlike Rogue, he's been bred and trained to interact with citizens, and to speak in a measured, authorative and controlled manner.

I didn't even like when Garth had Dredd using 'drokk' as an f-word substitute - drokkin' this and shut the drokk up that - as it made him sound unprofessional and lacking in control.

Rogue, for me at least, is fair game for the odd expletive in an age where the prog has already long left its original audience of kids behind (and whether that was the right or wrong move is an issue covered at length in many, many other threads).   Also, you'd be hard pressed to get a line of prog dialogue filthier than what Gunnar said to that Souther about his sister back in Cinnabar.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Richard

I didn't have a problem with Dredd saying fuck in the 2012 film. I wouldn't mind it in the Megazine either. But I agree with what has been said about swearing in the prog; it makes it harder to get children to read it (and that can't only matter for four weeks a year).