Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Oooookay.  Not the moon it was in ridiculously close orbit with,  or the gas giant that moon orbited in turn,  but another inhabited moon.  JJ really hates everything about space, doesn't he? Crossing my fingers for 'rebels towed the wreckage there' to save the Ewoks (but ignored the people and space horses living there)  but not expecting to hear it.

Professor Bear

The obvious joke is that JJA is collateral damage from Vladimir Putin's mind-control rays telling people "abandon the EU".

Tiplodocus

Do we know which Death Star it is?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 October, 2019, 02:18:34 PM
Do we know which Death Star it is?
I would presume the second, not much significance in the Emperors throne room in the first as we never saw him in it.

TordelBack

Yeah presence of throne room* and association of film with the Emperor strongly suggests the Mk. 2. But then JJ does like his little deceptions.

*Not really a throne room so much as a gazebo with a swivel chair in it.  Presumably Palpidious had somewhere more formal  to sit for the preceeding 20something years.

Keef Monkey

Just booked my tickets! Not sure I've ever booked a film anywhere near as far in advance as this, but am quite excited and want to make sure I get it watched before the xmas break (and obviously before the internet memes the hell out of every spoiler they can). It is safe to say I am very much on the hype train (despite avoiding all the hype, only relented and watched the trailer yesterday).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Feel I should have known this. If I ever did, I'd forgotten it:

Walter Murch on IMDB

Apestrife

Quote from: Frank on 26 October, 2019, 03:23:41 PM

Feel I should have known this. If I ever did, I'd forgotten it:

Walter Murch on IMDB

Cool. Never heard about that before. Thank you for sharing :)

radiator

You probably think you've seen enough analysis of The Last Jedi to last a lifetime, but this video essay is well worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/T2cBTLsWiDg

FWIW, despite agreeing with the vast majority of points made in the video, I still don't really like the movie overall. I totally got what Johnson was going for thematically, and admired a lot about what he tried to do (and I always thought a lot of the common complaints you hear about it, especially the fan servicey stuff re: Snoke and Luke). It's just that I personally didn't really like the actual execution of those ideas. I still have a lasting impression of the movie being a bit of a bloated mess that is really hampered by some lame subplots and some really regrettable attempts at humour. Though I may have just been convinced to give it a reassessment.

JOE SOAP

radiator

I can't be bothered to go back in the thread to find it, but I'm pretty sure I made the point at the time that all the criticism re: Snoke's origin was a red herring and not a valid criticism. After all, we never found out anything about the Emperor in the OT - he was only interesting because of his relationship to characters we did care about. Why people zero in on Snoke so much is (imo) because Rey and Kylo Ren, and by extension Snoke, aren't nearly as well rendered or interesting characters as Vader and Luke were, which is a failing of the sequel trilogy in general.

Regarding Luke and the Jedi, something that this video really hits on that I haven't really seen discussed much elsewhere is that one of the best things about TLJ was that it attempted to bring the more spiritual and pacifistic side of the Jedi back to the fore. I didn't love all the projection stuff (maybe it would sit better with me now), but I'm totally on board with the Jedi being a bit more mystical and magical like they were in the OT, and not having to be boxed in to this prescribed 'move set' of previously established abilities.

As the video rightly points out, the Jedi were never supposed to be assassins, or even warriors at all, really. Who's to say, based on the original movie, that Ben Kenobi's military service didn't predate his tenure as a Jedi Knight? It always stayed with me that Luke won in the OT by refusing to fight. And since then, throughout all the prequels and cartoons and videogames etc etc they've just been portrayed in the most cookie-cutter, boring, lightsaber-twirlingly literal way imaginable. Having Luke come back as a 'badass', as most people seemed to want, would have been completely awful, and I never had a problem with the lightsaber toss, or the milk bit as most people seem to.

As I say, I'm kind of curious to give TLJ another chance and see if I can look past all of the cringey stuff that put me off on first watch.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 13 December, 2019, 04:02:17 AMRegarding Luke and the Jedi, something that this video really hits on that I haven't really seen discussed much elsewhere is that one of the best things about TLJ was that it attempted to bring the more spiritual and pacifistic side of the Jedi back to the fore. I didn't love all the projection stuff (maybe it would sit better with me now), but I'm totally on board with the Jedi being a bit more mystical and magical like they were in the OT, and not having to be boxed in to this prescribed 'move set' of previously established abilities.

The Last Jedi is full of set-ups and pay-offs, and I assume the narrative conceit of Luke getting the idea to astrally project himself across the galaxy was incepted in the Falcon, when R2D2* played back the original hologram of Leia's S.O.S to grumpy Luke. As a metaphorical bookend, the original call to action that sparked Luke's 'journey' all those years ago was at the very end answered, this time with Luke projecting himself back to Leia when she again needed help.

*again, of course, R2D2 saves the day.

karlos

We've all gotta be there for this final, final one, guys...haven't we?

Final = not really, probably