Main Menu

A Bus Campaign worth donating to...?

Started by El Spurioso, 21 October, 2008, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Spurioso

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

M.I.K.

Pointless waste of money if you ask me, and I'm pretty certain I've seen Scientology adverts on buses which use "think for yourself" as a slogan.

Hoagy

A passenger left a copy of The New Humanist on the train the other day. I took it up and read some of it. Whilst being very secular of God botherers, it did also understand that "humanity craves a spritual dimension" . Human rights should be a habit of the heart and not a cold, hard, obligatory gift or law, extrinsicly pushing people into lacking tolerance of any message belying goodness. Which is what's happening all over. This is entirely something I've recently read and may have felt watching the Romantics work their easels.

I hope this bus says this. If it doesn't then I'm in the market for a camper at auction time.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dandontdare

I'd normally say pointless if rather amusing, but just yesterday I saw a MAKE JESUS FAMOUS ad with some simpering idiot 8feet high all over a double decker for the 1st time, and it got me so riled I might just support this. I've a lot of empathy with Humanists (as opposed to your common or garden nonbelievers) but what perplexes me is the need to create a sort of pseudo-religion without god, rather than just getting on with your life free from the need to arse about with any of that stuff - in short, they're just a bunch of vegan hotdogs*.

*copyright 'Iffy Metaphors Inc.'

Hoagy

I believe the universe is a self built machine.

Therefore I am a Machinist. On minimum wage.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

TordelBack

Ach, Humanism's pallid vanilla pap fills the void left by the successive outing of the far more colourful Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and God as figments of either your ancestors' imagination or their willful dishonesty (although this does not apply to Santa, who quite clearly does exist, even if his distribution network is a bit patchy). All IMHO, 'natch, so please don't be offended those of you with alternative but sincerely held beliefs.  The brother had a humanist wedding ceremony, and honestly, we'd have been far better off reading a few excerpts from a Pam Ayers collection.

Personally, I think the need for a (cough) 'spiritual dimension' would be far better addressed by getting bollock-naked and painting ourselves in a Slaine-stylee before sacrificing a Medium or Astrologer (I'm not fussy) and making bloody paper-chains from their offal, followed by some excellent mushrooms and a damn good dance-slash-orgy.

Roger Godpleton

I used to read the New Humanist until they printed a letter from someone who was very serious indeed and was very upset because they had published an article in defence of toilet humour.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "Krombasher"A passenger left a copy of The New Humanist on the train the other day. I took it up and read some of it. Whilst being very secular of God botherers, it did also understand that "humanity craves a spritual dimension" . Human rights should be a habit of the heart and not a cold, hard, obligatory gift or law, extrinsicly pushing people into lacking tolerance of any message belying goodness. Which is what's happening all over. This is entirely something I've recently read and may have felt watching the Romantics work their easels.

I hope this bus says this. If it doesn't then I'm in the market for a camper at auction time.

That's one big bus.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

hag

I want them in Manchester, instead of the Christian pap on the back of buses. Since I ride a bicycle I spend quite a lot of time trying not to look at the distracting preachy nonsense. I really should be paying attention to vehicles who seem intent on sending me to meet my maker.

TordelBack

Oh FFS.  I'm a completely committed atheist and a big fan of Dawkins' writings (even if I find him unnecessarily unpleasant and an irritating TV presence), but surely this rubbish is a case of two wrongs?  Could the money not be better spent imparting some useful scientific principle or observation rather than this sophmoric drivel?  The very things being attacked are the unsupported claims espoused by religions as 'truths', and yet this kind of statement, divorced from the powerful arguments that lead to it, is nothing more than a bald unsupported claim itself.  How does this do anything but offend and attract ire, potentially violent ire at that?  

Dawkins' obsession with actively offending the religious because they've been protected and accorded special status is just seeming more and more like childish pique.  A rational approach to dismantling the apparatus of state-endorsed religion is one thing, adopting the tactics of religion is another.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I don't see the need for this, the money could go to so many good causes and just because other religions do this dose not mean people should react in a similar way. Some Christian posters have a tendency to irritate me slightly and I feel these bus slogans will have a similar effect on others.

When my grandfather died we gave him the funeral he requested. He was an atheist and asked for his body not to enter a church, so it was in the funeral home where his family and friends gathered. Here people told stories from his life, pomes were read and songs were sung this made the whole thing very personal and something he would have wanted. Each to there own and once its not being shoved in my face I don't mind.

hag

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Far less aggressive than being collared and told that someone has died horribly and painfully for you sins. How can there be anything wrong with something so uplifting and fairly non-committal, even if it is a little half arsed and whimsical.

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "Gavin_Leahy"I don't see the need for this, the money could go to so many good causes

Indeed, and so could the money spent on this message board, EastEnders, jam, and that lovely sci-fi comic you get every week.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull atheist.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.