Main Menu

Are UFOs back "in"?

Started by the shutdown man, 21 October, 2008, 10:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the shutdown man

Oh, I can remember back in the 90s, UFOs and aliens were all the rage, Then, the century turned, the X-Files petered out, and it seemed to go out of fashion. But, over the last few days, as I stare blithly at various news sites while pretending to work, I'm noticing more and more stories popping up such as "Iraqi pilot ordered to fire on UFO", and this one I just found

//http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/ufos/article1836403.ece

(Yeah, I know, it's from the Sun, but leaving that aside...)

So, are we seeing a resurgence in sky-watching, or did I just miss it the whole time it was there?

(Option C is of course actual alien invasion/friendly arrival)
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

hag

UFO's are cool if you think Robbie Williams is the epitome  of hip.

i.e. no.

jakeblues69

It was just a radar anomaly, that's all. The pictures are just models used by a movie studio, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Adrian Bamforth

Well judging by the box office takings for the latest Mulder & Scully excursion...

the shutdown man

Yeah, but there weren't really any UFOs in that. And crap as it was, it did prompt me to buy the full series box set and go back to the beginning, and I can't be the only one. :)

I'm not saying there's any more (or less) truth to these stories now than there ever was. It just seems odd that they seem to be popping back up in the news all of a sudden.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Matt Timson

These things do the rounds.  Remember when every news story seemed to be about Rottweilers attacking people?  Before that it was Alsatians and, later, Pit Bulls.  I seriously doubt that all the Alsatians stopped attacking people, anymore than Rottweilers or Pit Bulls did- the stories just got old.  Sooner or later, some other breed of dog will be in the news for attacking somebody and then you'll have a rash of new 'killer dog' stories.

I think all the UFO sightings have still been happening, but it just became old news.  Suddenly, something a bit more exciting happens on the UFO front and that makes other current sightings suddenly a bit more newsworthy.
Pffft...

Adrian Bamforth

One of the problems now with UFOs is that now everyonbe has cameras on their phone, so rightfully the amount of evidence should be shooting right up with numerous photos accompanying every sighting. It's the same with ghosts: Once they were all the rage, yet you would think with all the security cameras in every street would pick up a fair few. It's as if the spirits preferred it when photography was in it's infancy. Not even New Agers would give much credence to them now.

I guess all the attention-seekers have switched to 9/11 conspiracies to get their fix.

House of Usher

UFOs are so now. Millennial. '90s. '70s. '50s..    ;)
STRIKE !!!

jakeblues69

I hope they are...................
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

DavidXBrunt

As happy for you as I am that you know how to post pictures it's not mandatory.

jakeblues69

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"As happy for you as I am that you know how to post pictures it's not mandatory.

I'm studying to be an internet mime. Long live Marcel Marceau!

paulvonscott

As they appear in The Sun, I'm sure it's not at all connected with new UFO programmes broadcast on Sky, another News Corp. owned company.

Matt Timson

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"As happy for you as I am that you know how to post pictures it's not mandatory.
:roll:
Pffft...

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: "Matt Timson"
:roll:

You know what this site needs is a bit more Byrne. I think he runs a tight ship and we'd all be better off for being a bit more in step with his thinking.

jakeblues69

Quote from: "DavidXBrunt"I think he runs a tight ship and we'd all be better off for being a bit more in step with his thinking.