Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

So that's why he wants Yanks disarmed. Deport the fifth columnist immediately.

judgefloyd

speaking of Piers Morgan*, are Pussy Riot any good as a band?  I'm fondly imagining them to be a more political and more Russian version of Shonen Knife, but haven't listened to them in case they turn out to be awful.

*is he really 'politics'?  Isn't he comedy?

Stan

Bad comedy. Are Pussy Riot those Russian guys who're at risk of being imprisoned? I've not listened to them.

Frank

Quote from: judgefloyd on 08 August, 2012, 10:16:05 AM
are Pussy Riot any good as a band?  I'm fondly imagining them to be a more political and more Russian version of Shonen Knife, but haven't listened to them in case they turn out to be awful.

Quote from: Stan on 08 August, 2012, 01:05:48 PM
Are Pussy Riot those Russian guys who're at risk of being imprisoned? I've not listened to them.

JUDGE Y'R'SELF

The politically neutral and deliberately musically naive Shonen Knife are probably a decent aesthetic reference point. Nineties Riot Grrrl acts like Huggy Bear and Bikini Kill made a similar racket, while screaming shrilly but vaguely about the oppression of something by someone or other, in the same vein as Pussy Riot. I fear for those grrrls' futures, though- once Madonna latches onto you, you're well and truly fucked. And lead singer Nadya Tolokno's too pretty to go to prison.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 08 August, 2012, 10:27:50 PM
And lead singer Nadya Tolokno's too pretty to go to prison.

At least you'll have a new pen-pal.

judgefloyd

Not too bad.  I like bands that remind me of TISM.

thanks,

Floyd

Frank

Quote from: judgefloyd on 21 August, 2012, 12:10:10 PM
Not too bad.  I like bands that remind me of TISM.thanks,

Heh, TISM are new to me. I feel I've been missing out by not owning a record called Australia The Lucky Cunt, and the convergence point between Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Devo isn't a bad place to be.

Frank

Speaking of conflation, both the proper news and idiotic radio phone-ins have been treating US congressman Todd Akin's bizarre claim that 'legitimate' rape cannot result in pregnancy and Respect MP George Galloway's idiotic assertion that unconscious women are capable of consenting to sex as part of the same agenda, despite their positions at opposing ends of the political spectrum.

THE MIRACLE OF RAPE

WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (2m 55s)

Akin's clearly a moron, but the shrewd Galloway's exploiting similar ambiguities in popular attitudes to rape in his instinctive defence of the necessary wanker that is Julian Assange. Both men seem to be twisting logic and flying in the face of common sense because of their respective political ideologies and tribal instincts. If you find yourself telling someone they haven't really been raped properly, you should probably take a good look at your motivations and your conscience.

Dandontdare

Quote from: bikini kill on 21 August, 2012, 07:51:08 PM
necessary wanker

an excellent term for people like Assange (and Galloway) who fight battles that need to be fought and who I agree with on many issues, but are in themselves total and utter dipshits.

JOE SOAP

Where's Beaky Smoochies when you need him?

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 August, 2012, 07:57:04 PM
Where's Beaky Smoochies when you need him?

I'd like to see what Beaky could do with Todd Akins's exculpatory plea "The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold". It's an unusually brave strategy for a politician to admit that the shit that pours from his mouth bears absolutley no relation to what he actually intends to do.

SMUDGE10

Quote from: bikini kill on 21 August, 2012, 07:51:08 PMIf you find yourself telling someone they haven't really been raped properly, you should probably take a good look at your motivations and your conscience.

Indeed.
And if your 'doctor' tells you that 'the female body has ways of shutting down to avoid pregnancy if raped' you need to stop visiting Witch Doctors and find a science based alternative. They are all the rage these days I hear. Y'know; clever folks who really know about stuff.....

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

Frank

Quote from: SMUDGE10 on 21 August, 2012, 09:28:23 PM
And if your 'doctor' tells you that 'the female body has ways of shutting down to avoid pregnancy if raped' you need to stop visiting Witch Doctors and find a science based alternative.

I'd be interested to know what the fuck he thought he was talking about. Maybe rapist spunk has a different pH factor, which stops it adhering to the lining of the cervix? Those Bosnian and Rwandan women condemned to raise children with faces much like those of the men who raped them and murdered their families just weren't trying hard enough.

johnnystress

This man believes Pussy Riot owe him respect

M.I.K.

Is that the rich ghost of a teletubby policeman?