Main Menu

Film Scores & Soundtracks

Started by Andy Lambert, 28 May, 2017, 11:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Not enough John Williams inclusion for my liking, surely THE soundtrack legend of out lifetimes??

Tony Angelino

John Williams is third on my all time great list. For me Ennio Morricone is the greatest and John Barry is second.

While they all produced many memorable tunes I think the others had a greater and more varied body of work. John Williams greatest work is split between three different film series (Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Superman) and a lot of the same music/themes were reused within those films.

Before everyone slags me off/asks why I am daring to contribute to this thread/demands I am kicked off the board I still love John Williams. I own many of his soundtracks and I don't put any other film composer in the same bracket as the three I have mentioned here. I would just narrowly consider the other two as being 'a bit more legendary' than John Williams.

SIP

I can take the point on variety of work, and it does all come down to personal taste.  What Williams has done is effectively create the most stand out and memorable, instantly recognisable movie main themes. Not only star wars, indy and supes, as you mentioned, but also Jaws, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and ET. The man's hit rate and impact on movie culture is second to none (in my opinion).

Tony Angelino

To be fair Star Wars is probably the most recognisable movie theme ever and I would probably put the Raiders March in second place. I think many people, these days, would mix up Superman with Stars Wars or Raiders.

I forgot about Jurassic Park although I cant hear it now without thinking of the Brett Domino version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6fdywQlmaY

SuperSurfer

Three pages on and no mention yet of Taxi Driver by the genius that was Bernard Herrmann. One of the few soundtrack CDs I have. Fascinating write up on the CD sleeve. Herrmann was Scorsese's first and only choice and had to beg and plead for him to take on the project. Herrmann finally agreed, saying: "I liked when he [Travis] poured peach brandy on the cornflakes. I'll do it." Herrmann was dying as he composed the soundtrack, finished recording the very last note on 23 December 1975, went back to his hotel, had dinner with his wife and died that night. The day after, Scorsese commented to the press: "There was no one that could even come near him".

What a title sequence.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Also giving love to Herrmann for creating the Psycho shower strings. I actually had no idea he did Taxi Driver, I'll have to go and listen to the score independent from the film. Thanks for that. :)