Main Menu

Justice League 2017

Started by JamesC, 21 June, 2016, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I think there's some real structural problems with the story-telling in Justice League.

Introducing Steppenwolf by having Diana tell the story which then cuts to a Lord of the Rings pastiche was so clumsy. In contrast when Hela arrives in Ragnarok, the point is that our hero has never heard of her and under-estimates her power as her existence has been literally plastered over.

Diana's story-telling seems to take so long by the end of the flashback they have left the BatCave and are now in the countryside. Just really awkward.

And the single family in Chernobyl were so clumsy.
The whole 'Superman isn't here' so racism has increased just didn't feel earned by the previous movies. i though the whole thing was just wretched and the biggest missed opportunity in Superhero history. I would have actually preferred just to see a longer Zac Snyder cut so at least his whole trilogy felt completed. What we got was like a weird simplified edit like a plane version of a horror movie with so much cut what was left felt just disjointed action scenes.

I did like the Flash eyeballing Superman. Just before Clark head butted Wonder Woman - I mean why use a headbutt - just nasty.

Rusty

Superman's super "malky" on Wonderwoman was probably the best bit in the entire film. I laughed out loud at that. It was so unintentionally funny, it was brilliant.  :lol:

Tiplodocus

Thoroughly enjoyed that.  Nice tone,  didn't outstay It's welcome. Neither did the fights. Some good gags. Blimey look at those abs. Forgettable villain. Plot mostly hung together. And nice character moments. Didn't notice the tache. And they let the heroes be heroic.

And Ok, her bum was nice. But not as nice as her strength and leadership and setting an example.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

So it looks like the WB viral marketing campaign (I don't believe it was a genuine fan campaign for a second) has confirmed that this is coming in 2021.

Spending something like 30 million on reboots and effects sequences.

And will come in at 4 hrs or something that they might turn  into a mini series.

I'll get round to watching it out of curiosity but can't say I'll pay for the pleasure. I actually didn't mind the one we got too much - though I acknowledge it is far from what anyone could objectively call good.

Robin Low

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 May, 2020, 02:19:25 PMI'll get round to watching it out of curiosity but can't say I'll pay for the pleasure. I actually didn't mind the one we got too much - though I acknowledge it is far from what anyone could objectively call good.

I'm quite interested in seeing it. I was one of the people who never saw the theatrical version of BvS, but found that the extended cut was much more enjoyable and interesting than I expecting - possibly showing the benefits of expected the worst. Unfortunately, I didn't get much out of Justice League at all, so I'm very keen to see a significant revision of it.

Of course, I won't be truly happy until someone makes a proper Justice League movie, by which I mean Justice League International. I've chosen my favourite DC-era and I'm sticking to it.

Regards,

Robin

Apestrife

Cool that theyll let him finish it. Ill watch it for the spectacle.

Wouldnt mind a DC new frontier inspired JL film :)

repoman

I just rewatched this.  First time around I quite liked it.  Wonder Woman was good in it (I hated her film) and the fact that they got it all done in two hours was refreshing by DC standards.

This time around I was shocked at how shoddy the bad guy looked.  Also, there just wasn't enough Superman for my liking.

I don't know anything about this newer version but if they could fix the bad guy and not make it too long, that'd be good.   Not sure I'll bother watching it though.

Mardroid

I think it will be longer, if anything. I'm curious as I understand it's quite a bit different to the one we received (although I did like that).

I understand there will be more [spoiler]Darkseid[/spoiler] stuff, but I don't know if he will [spoiler] replace that other villain with the odd Germanic Wolfy name.[/spoiler]

Apparently there will be some explanation concerning that odd [spoiler]Batman prophetic dream and Flash's cameo in BvsS which was glossed over in the theatrical version.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Amazing to think that they can make a perfect film even better.
I've seen a lot of clearly over-educated Youtubers examine the ethos of Snyder's take on Superman and why the director's objectivist philosophy creates dissonance between the creator and their work, but I like this recent one by Maggie Mae Fish, which examines why Superman does a Superman at all.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, I saw that one. Made me smile and made sense of why Snyder's "alien" superman is different from my Superman whose chief power is his humanity.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 June, 2020, 01:03:16 PM
Amazing to think that they can make a perfect film even better.
I've seen a lot of clearly over-educated Youtubers examine the ethos of Snyder's take on Superman and why the director's objectivist philosophy creates dissonance between the creator and their work,

I made a prediction a while back that the attentive fandom would eventually close the circle and sublimate das überdirector to the typical Randian protagonist: persecuted iconoclast, his creations under-appreciated and subverted by the establishment. Recently the YouTube Academy of Higher Learning confirmed that prediction.

The Enigmatic Dr X

FWIW - Read somewhere (lost link) that this rebooting is really just a cynical grab to more easily plan out a slate of films around Darkseid and Apokolips, as they want a film spanning big bad.

It is therefore easier to spend $30M on something the "fans want", creating goodwill, than to face backlash for shoehorning it into the established continuity.
Lock up your spoons!

Woolly

I'm guessing, with the recent casting announcement for the Flashpoint film, that DC/Warners are going to try and say that the two versions of the justice league movie are set on different earths, along with the old Batman films and everything.
The Ezra Miller cameo in the last series of Grant Gustin's Flash may be to do with this.

Only guessing, but it makes sense.