General Chat > Off Topic

This is the News!

<< < (2/59) > >>

Mister Pops:
I heard after that one little fight his mom got scared and said “You’re moving to your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air”

Funt Solo:
I can't accept Smith's behavior as being at all justified. First off, his wife isn't his property - so he doesn't need to defend her honor by slapping people about. I don't even know if Chris Rock knew that her hair style was more of a condition than a choice. Smith didn't act with honor (even if you buy into the idea that husbands have a duty to protect their wives) because he didn't give Chris any warning - he sucker-slapped him. Then he gives a speech in which he effectively says that violence is love, which is an excuse used by abusers.

Seems like a lot of folk are walking away from this with entirely the wrong message in their heads - because "violence is the answer" deserves a more compelling question than this.

nxylas:

--- Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 March, 2022, 03:16:57 PM ---I don't even know if Chris Rock knew that her hair style was more of a condition than a choice.

--- End quote ---
These events are heavily scripted. You'd think somebody would have said "are you sure about this?"

Richard:

--- Quote ---First off, his wife isn't his property - so he doesn't need to defend her
--- End quote ---
People don't only care about their property. You can defend people you care about too.

--- Quote ---I can't accept Smith's behavior as being at all justified
--- End quote ---
I agree it's not justified. But I think it's quite understandable, and that there's no need to suggest that he's an abuser who thinks his wife is his chattel; that's a bit of an overreaction and lacking in empathy.

There's plenty of ground between "morally beyond reproach" and "despicable."

Funt Solo:

--- Quote from: Richard on 28 March, 2022, 08:36:28 PM ---a bit of an overreaction and lacking in empathy.

--- End quote ---

What's worse: Smith's assault or my reaction?

I'd have a lot more sympathy for his assaulting someone without warning if he took the time to apologize for it later - which he hasn't. I mean: not to the the victim of his physical violence. Painting it as "violence out of love" is - simply - abusive. "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you." Yeah - no.

Maybe he will apologize in the future. Who knows? I hope he does - because he's an influential man, and what he's just taught everyone watching is that violence is okay, violence in defense of ill-defined honor red lines is okay - you even get to have an award later and go to a party and smile for the cameras and not apologize to your victim. It's all perfectly okay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version