Main Menu

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (High Chance of SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 31 May, 2022, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

How can we not have a thread for this yet? I'm not going to post any spoilers here, but I'd suggest going forward that if you haven't seen the most recent episode, steering clear of this thread until you have.

I'd suggest that anything that's been broadcast is fair game and doesn't need a spoiler tag, but if you've got a rumour of something upcoming, or even just some informed (or inspired!) speculation, you whack a spoiler block over it so people can decide whether they want to come to each new episode cold.

So... short, non-spoilery opinion after two episodes: it's fucking great. It looks fantastic, the performances range from fine to excellent, and there's an inspired plot driver that wasn't in the trailers that very quickly takes the story somewhere you might not have been expecting. As I understand it, pretty much everything that was in the trailers was taken from these first two episodes, so it's safe to assume there may be a few surprises in store before the end.

Highly recommended, by me, at least.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

I have a less positive opininion but I'll still be hanging on every episode. The opening scene of Episode 1 took my breath away, I didn't see that coming at all, and it suggests certain things about the plot that are very cool. The first episode on the whole set everything up very nicely. It's awesome seeing Ewan McGregor back in the beard with his faux-Guinness accent, he really looks the part. The whole Jedi-hunting schtick, that they can't help but give themselves away, is an artful explanation for why the Empire so thoroughly obliterated even the ones who escaped Order 66.

But for me Episode 2 was pretty bad. Lots of improbable chasing around and, for a man who's trying to hide the fact that he's a Jedi, he certainly walks, talks, and carries his light sabre like one. As good as that young actress is, I don't buy for one second that she's ten years old; it was giving me flashbacks to the terrible mistake George Lucas made in starting Anakin off so young in TPM. Coupled with what I see as a few missed opportunities for added cool and some slightly dodgy effects, ep2 left me in quite a grumpy mood.

That said I must admit that it never occurred to me that Obi-Wan wouldn't know that Vader was Anakin, or even who Darth Vader was at all. Another cool moment.

I'm excited for the next episode, I hope it rediscovers some form and gives us the story we all hope it should.

Tiplodocus

I think I enjoyed it more than the other members of the Tips household. It needed some more focused action scenes (a Jedi hunter doing parkour seemed in there just for the sake of it). But yeah, wasn't expecting the plot to be driven by THAT. Makes perfect sense (unless you take every line of dialogue from original movies to be literal and gospel).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CalHab

I'm reserving judgement, but enjoyed the first two episodes.

I was slightly surprised to see Flea turn up. I hope they lean into the theme of "great rock bassists" in future episodes. Maybe Peter Hook as a Rebel fighter, Kim Deal as a bounty hunter and Bootsy Collins as a tavern owner?

Colin YNWA

Reckon John Deacon would make a good Imperial Officer too?

sheridan

Quote from: wedgeski on 31 May, 2022, 09:16:20 AM
But for me Episode 2 was pretty bad. Lots of improbable chasing around and, for a man who's trying to hide the fact that he's a Jedi, he certainly walks, talks, and carries his light sabre like one.

This is a pet niggle I have - but it's far, far too late to do anything about it.  It's the whole design of jedi robes.

Look at A New Hope.  Obi Wan is supposed to be in disguise and if you look at his clothing then it's not a million miles away from that of tusken sand raiders, which makes sense as they both live in the desert.

Then Empire rolled along and we met a second jedi.  Who was wearing the same outfit, despite living in entirely different conditions (if Luke had been paying attention they'd have noticed that Yoda was wearing roughly the same clothes as Obi Wan, scaled down).

So to me the design of Obi Wan's clothes are good and make sense, but then George Lucas and the designers seemed to forget their design decisions in the next three years.

CalHab

I guess they're supposed to reference a monk's robes, but I agree there should be variation for environment and species for the Jedis.

Wandering around Blade Runner wearing Jedi robes was idiotic on the part of Obi-Wan Ben.

Funt Solo

She's nine. Like my daughter, a bit shorter than your average bear.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Heads up! Disney has moved Obi-Wan to Wednesdays, so there's a new episode out now. Possible Ep3 spoilers may occur from this point onwards.

(I haven't watched it yet, but wanted to drop a marker here for people, like me, who weren't expecting to see the next part until Friday.)

wedgeski

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 June, 2022, 10:34:57 AM
Heads up! Disney has moved Obi-Wan to Wednesdays, so there's a new episode out now. Possible Ep3 spoilers may occur from this point onwards.

(I haven't watched it yet, but wanted to drop a marker here for people, like me, who weren't expecting to see the next part until Friday.)
That's weird. Is there a replacement for the Friday slot?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 June, 2022, 01:47:30 PM
This was never in a Friday slot.

Wasn't it? I was sure the first two were released on Friday. Never mind, then... probably just early-onset dementia on my part.

The Enigmatic Dr X

No it was released last Friday. I was trying to do a Jedi mind trick, but failed. Hard to do over the internet.

They released it last week to compete with Stranger Things, but have moved to a Wednesday slot going forward.
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 June, 2022, 02:20:03 PM
No it was released last Friday. I was trying to do a Jedi mind trick, but failed. Hard to do over the internet.

They released it last week to compete with Stranger Things, but have moved to a Wednesday slot going forward.

I got the joke!

I thought the Friday release was to coincide with Celebration, which ran from Thursday last week to (Saturday?  Sunday?)