Main Menu

Cosplay

Started by Jared Katooie, 30 August, 2010, 12:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Emperor

Its worse that that, its Jimmy Saville - now then, now then
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Roger Godpleton

That's Proudhuff, that is.

And Commando Forces stars in this video. He wants us to know how wrong we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSQne3RDCY&feature=recentf
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

there are some sad cases and weirdos in this thread and for some reason i find the girl in the Knuckles picture really annoying.
Quote from: johnnystress on 30 August, 2010, 10:06:59 PM
worth posting again

That was worth posting twice but some of the other pictures in this thread are best off being forgotten.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Emperor

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 31 August, 2010, 06:26:03 PM
there are some sad cases and weirdos in this thread

Yes but the fun part is guessing who is a sad case and who is a weirdo. Roger, for example, is a weirdo. Or did you mean the cosplayers? ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Christov

I was going to cosplay as Spider-Man for BICS but I can't get into shape in time for it nor can I afford a costume right now. Oh well, I'll just have put the cash I didn't spend on an outfit and a gym membership into buying some lovely original art.

What a shame.  :D

Roger Godpleton

These people are enjoying things that I would probably not find to be enjoyable myself therefore they are the scum of the earth and I propose a round of pogroms.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jared Katooie

Now THAT'S impressive!

I, Cosh

What's the difference between cosplay and normal dressing up?
We never really die.

Daveycandlish

QuoteWhat's the difference between cosplay and normal dressing up?

The location.
Leave your gimp suit in the bedroom!  ;)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 01 September, 2010, 12:08:01 AM

Yeah I struggle with this these days. it used to be called fancy dress? My understanding is that real Cosplay involves actioning out the role of the person you're dressed up as where as must the stuff you see at conventions and the like is fancy dress?

I could be very wrong here.

James Stacey

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 01 September, 2010, 12:05:24 AM

Now THAT'S impressive!
Is that Cosplay or advertising tho ? very impressive

Grant Goggans

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 September, 2010, 07:57:06 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 01 September, 2010, 12:08:01 AM

Yeah I struggle with this these days. it used to be called fancy dress? My understanding is that real Cosplay involves actioning out the role of the person you're dressed up as where as must the stuff you see at conventions and the like is fancy dress?

I could be very wrong here.

The word's been co-opted from anime fandom.

Jared Katooie

"Cosplay (コスプレ, kosupure?), short for "costume roleplay",[1] is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Characters are often[citation needed] drawn from popular fiction in Japan. Favorite sources include manga, anime, tokusatsu, comic books, graphic novels, video games, hentai and fantasy movies. Role play includes portrayals of J-pop and J-rock stars, Taiwanese puppet characters, science fiction characters, characters from musical stories, classic novels, and entertainment software. Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa.

Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered around role play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies it to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context."

Cosplay