Main Menu

Prog 2192 - Bearing Down!

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 July, 2020, 04:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

That Shrrrrrrrip in Diaboliks -
I did have to read over the page a couple of times, but I'm pretty sure that what happened is the Mother of Tears* ripped into Jenny Simmons with her claws. What damage she did has yet to become clear but I expect we'll get a visual next Prog.

The Order desperately needs collected editions - but given reactions to the last couple of series I fear it's unliekly to get them. So sad. I do suspect that Kek-W is relying on more readers having a decent knowledge of American and European history c.1300-1800 to help keep the characters and settings in their head. Commendable that he's not talking down to us, but bloody hard keeping track at the same time!

*Can't actually remember which mother/sister this character is. But it's definitely a Dario Argento reference. And boy is Rennie pushing my happy buttons by namechecking a bunch of Italian Horror greats in this series!

broodblik

AlexF I think the people walking this forum is just a small footprint of readers and what the forum likes is not necessary what the general reader likes. Take for example the much "loved forum favorite"  Skip Tracer and we still getting this by the dozens.  So what we who post here like might be different out there. But I thing does not matter who you are you have to keep your wits reading The Order. I hope it gets collected in a whole since I would like one-day to read it in single sitting. I might be one of the few who likes The Order (and Skip Tracer). I like the historical "facts" and how the history has been altered.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sintec

Quote from: AlexF on 31 July, 2020, 07:07:14 AM
The Order desperately needs collected editions - but given reactions to the last couple of series I fear it's unliekly to get them. So sad.

Hachette have scheduled a book of The Order for the Ultimate Collection. At a guess that'll collect the first 4 stories.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

It is true that the comments here and *brrr*  elsewhere... on the internet are a fraction of the readership, but it isnt like Tharg gets hundreds of letters and emails a week (if he does very few of them appear fit for publication) and it must be 15(?) years since we had an actual readership survey (seem to recall at least one Rebellion era reader survey?).

So wile it might be Skip Tracer et al are well loved strips elsewhere, how is this being communicated to Tharg

Quote from: broodblik on 31 July, 2020, 07:40:39 AM
AlexF I think the people walking this forum is just a small footprint of readers and what the forum likes is not necessary what the general reader likes. Take for example the much "loved forum favorite"  Skip Tracer and we still getting this by the dozens.  So what we who post here like might be different out there. But I thing does not matter who you are you have to keep your wits reading The Order. I hope it gets collected in a whole since I would like one-day to read it in single sitting. I might be one of the few who likes The Order (and Skip Tracer). I like the historical "facts" and how the history has been altered.

broodblik

Maybe you can shame and blame me for liking Skip Tracer. What I rather have is not so frequent and give some other strips like Brass Sun and Helium (add your own thrill here) some retail space as well.

Dandontdare

Skip Tracer was a weird one for me - I couldn't identify anything wrong with it, it had all the elements that I should enjoy, but it just left me totally unengaged. Felt like I'd seen it all before and there was nothing in the characters or setting to differentiate it.

BPP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 July, 2020, 05:30:19 PM
Skip Tracer was a weird one for me - I couldn't identify anything wrong with it, it had all the elements that I should enjoy, but it just left me totally unengaged. Felt like I'd seen it all before and there was nothing in the characters or setting to differentiate it.

I think the problem was that Nolan wasn't a very engaging character so by the time his dreary brother came along it was all 'meh'. It could have been something like a hard-boiled or ultra violent take on Brass Sun - the world building art by Paul Marshall was particularly good - but it switch to OTT global threats and psy-wars too quickly. Nolan's clearly a character needing to be Philip Marlowe'd not X-men-in-space.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

BPP

Oh and Dredd, The Out and Diaboliks are all just brilliant.

FTB has lovely art but I don't get why it's in 2000ad. It's a BOOM version of manga-meets-the incal and clearly a comic for a different audience. Maybe that's Thargs plan and if so it's a significant departure to catering for the golden-era audience.

The Order has always been a hard pass.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 27 July, 2020, 09:05:39 PM
You're clearly very confused! You've described two different characters while believing them to be the same person! Just give up now! (I agree that The Order is generally incomprehensible though.)

Ok I have got to ask - please enlighten us. I thought it was the same character as well. Is it not Daniel Calhoun? Or is it two different versions of him? Or someone else?

TordelBack

No,  you're right,  it's all Daniel.  He's chatting with wrym-in-giant-form Paul Bunyan about Armoured Clara, then they both get shot. Daniel takes a head wound, and the 1580 AD version of the A.I. Ritterstahl (v. 4) that runs in his head appears to take over his functions,  but is obviously damaged itself,  hence the zombie shuffle.  Hope to have the Ritterstahl entry posted on the The Order thread later tonight. Then such confusion will be a thing of (one version of) the past!  :-\

Magnetica

I know all the Ritterstahls have slightly different features e.g two eyes versus a single cyclops style one.  So in theory you can use that to tell them apart. In theory. In practice, I long ago lost track of which one is which, so am very much looking to forward to your guide.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 August, 2020, 10:17:45 PM
I know all the Ritterstahls have slightly different features e.g two eyes versus a single cyclops style one.  So in theory you can use that to tell them apart.

If only it was that simple!  Wishing I hadn't decided to tackle Ritterstahl first,  I'm drowning in notes!