Main Menu

Writing Submissions!

Started by Rware, 02 August, 2012, 04:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rware

Hi Guys, this is my first topic post!
I'v almost completed a Future Shocks story that i'll be posting to The Mighty Tharg soon and I have a few questions about the process so if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
It says on the Submission page that after you have sent in a story you should not send another until you have heard back from 2000AD. does this mean that your story is not accepted then you cannot try with another? or do you just wait for an eventual accept/or decline and then are able to send any further pieces?
It would be good to hear some story ideas or stories that you guys have written and been either accepted or declined also for some general chit chat and thoughts!

Proudhuff

Welcome! you just wait for an eventual accept/or decline and then are able to send any further pieces I'm afraid.

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

oh and there's this which was a list of common Furtureshock stock in trades:

For future reference, this is Pitchfest Bingo:

1. Greedy person who lusts after power / wealth / object of mystical significance / fruit succumbs to some kind of tragically ironic fate inherent in the way of getting the power / wealth / object of mystical significance / fruit
2. The baby has black oval eyes, just like his dad
3. Gasp! We thought they were speaking english but they were speaking THEIR language yes THEIR ALIEN LANGUAGE and in this language 'we come in peace' translates as - 'kill kill kill'!!!!!"
4. A historic event was accidentally caused by aliens or time travellers
5. You think it's the good guy who wins - but it turns out to be the bad guy
6. ANYTHING to do with JFK's assassination.  Anything AT ALL.
7. The thing you thought was a statue/spaceship/moon is actually a hungry plant or alien lifeform
8. Self-referential - the characters realise they're trapped in a comic strip, Tharg gets involved, we see the writer of the strip with his actual name
9. The hero gives up and dies, unknowingly inches away from the Death Maze's exit.
10. The indestructible monster is fatally allergic to something daft e.g. Weetabix.
11. The people we think are aliens are humans, or vice versa
12. ANYTHING to do with Noah's Ark.  Anything AT ALL.
13. The parallel dimension traveller had actually made it back to his own Earth all along, but didn't realise he was home because of minor changes that had taken place while he was away...
14. The alien spy reports that the human race is too scary to be invaded, based on a series of comic misundertandings
15. He's his own father/grandfather/family pet!
16. That's not a (insert edible/breakable object here), it's the Altroxian ambassador - nooooo!"
17. The scale's all wrong - they're actually tiny!  Or huge!
18. Aliens think that a non-human Earth species is the lifeform most worth talking to
19. They're breeding us for meat!
20. An ancient Earth monument was really built by aliens
21. He's created a time loop OR everything the time traveller does to change history actually makes that history happen
22. The missionary converts the aliens. They nail him up.
23. The car/house/dog "of the future" kills its owner just when he thinks he's escaped.
24. Amazingly powerful being or machine turns out to be totally insignificant in the world (s)he/it comes from / totally insignificant being or machine...
25. The alien / robot probe goes home to teach its kind a new concept we take for granted e.g. love, war, booze, spanners etc
26. ANYTHING to do with Jack the bloody Ripper.  Anything AT ALL.
27. Society is harsh for a forgotten reason e.g. two lovebirds rebel against sexual segregation, the resultant STD wipes out a defenceless world.
28. ANYTHING to do with Adam & Eve.  Anything AT ALL.
29. Having sex with aliens / interdimensional travellers / your own grandmother turns out to be a bad idea
30. A mundane problem on Earth becomes a hazard in space e.g. going to the toilet.
31. Shocked by the prediction of his death he runs out in front of a car.
32. Nice looking alien turns out to be nasty-acting alien
33. The human who has been kept alive artificially for an eternity has had so many body parts replaced that the machines that look after him are no longer able to remember what humans are supposed to look like, so they treat his would-be rescuers with deep suspicion.
34. Outside the bunker the war never happened.
35. It's all a computer game/virtual reality prison/character's imagination/a made-up story being told to e.g. schoolchildren (or, it ISN'T all a...)
36. It's the TitanicThe person he's hunting is... himself!
37. (Added for posterity) ANYTHING involving spunk, masturbation, or silicone-enhanced breasts.  Anything
DDT did a job on me

Rware

Thank you for the very speedy reply! And thanks for clearing that up also, just so I and others know for future reference!
Haha so just write a story about a Jack The Ripper who travels through time to assassinate JFK then finds out he is in fact an alien God placed on the earth to take over the planet but realizes he doesn't actually want the planet because of the massive amounts of children eating coco pops which is actually the Alien races only weakness? Oh and then Jack discovers that he is JFK's great great great great grandfather?
I think we're onto something here!

Trout

Rware, you're thinking like Al Ewing now!  :D

Also, one of these days we'll realise that No 19 is real.

Rware

Haha thank you Trout, I feel privileged!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Rware on 02 August, 2012, 04:50:27 PM
Thank you for the very speedy reply! And thanks for clearing that up also, just so I and others know for future reference!
Haha so just write a story about a Jack The Ripper who travels through time to assassinate JFK then finds out he is in fact an alien God placed on the earth to take over the planet but realizes he doesn't actually want the planet because of the massive amounts of children eating coco pops which is actually the Alien races only weakness? Oh and then Jack discovers that he is JFK's great great great great grandfather?
I think we're onto something here!

add a zombie and you got it  :D
DDT did a job on me

Trout

The Ultimate Future Shock!

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2004/10/ufs1/

By our own crazy genius, "Weird" Al Ewing.

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 02 August, 2012, 05:41:04 PM
The Ultimate Future Shock! http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2004/10/ufs1/ By our own crazy genius, "Weird" Al Ewing.

Couldn't we just print a link to that instead of any more Future Shocks, and use the money saved to commission more Zaucer of Zilk?

Emperor

Quote from: Proudhuff on 02 August, 2012, 04:33:58 PM
Welcome! you just wait for an eventual accept/or decline and then are able to send any further pieces I'm afraid.

See this thread:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26003.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Rware

So I have just given everything a read through it it has proved very helpful!

Proudhuff thank you for uploading that thread, an interesting and insightful read!

Trout, that Future Shock by Al Ewing is amazing!