Main Menu

Best 2000 AD strips of 2023 (non-Dredd)

Started by norton canes, 02 January, 2024, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Did I miss the voting threads? Are they all off in a different section this year..?

I know 2023 seems like an absolute aeon ago now, but cast your minds back through the alcohol-fuddled fug of the festive fugue, if you can, and rank your favourite three strips from last year's progs. The usual T&Cs apply: Dredd stories get their own poll (if anyone fancies starting it), no Regened strips, and no one-offs - so none of the Battle/Action crossovers or one-shots from the Christmas prog. As ever I'm always happy to change these rules if the will of the squaxx dictates! Also do let me know if I've missed any strips.

Your top choice will be awarded three points, your second choice two points and your third choice one point. I'd be grateful if you could only vote using this format (although obviously feel free to add comments!):

1. [Favourite strip - name of strip as in list]
2. [Second favourite strip - name of strip as in list]
3. [Third favourite strip - name of strip as in list]

No reverse orders please as it invites mistakes on my part. Also no joint rankings, thanks - my maths is strained enough as it is.

As we can see from previous years' results, one droid has a strangehold on this particular accolade, with consecutive hat-tricks of victories for two of their strips. Will this year see that vice-like grip broken?

2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017   

+++ VOTING IS NOW OPEN +++ THRILL-POWER RECEPTORS SET TO MAXIMUM! +++

Azimuth
The Devil's Railroad
Die Hoard (3riller)
Durham Red
Enemy Earth
The Fall of Deadworld
Feral and Foe
Future Shocks
Helium
Hershey
Hope
Joe Pineapples
Maxwell's Demon (3riller)
The Order
The Out
Portals & Black Goo
Proteus Vex
Rogue Trooper
Terror Tales
Void Runners

norton canes

1. Rogue Trooper
2. Hershey
3. Durham Red

First and second places were nailed on - 'Blighty valley' was an absolute revelation, and Hershey's elegaic coda made for a haunting series conclusion. Azimuth, Helium and Feral and Foe might also have stolen third spot but I've been loving the Worley/Willsher take on Durham Red and 'Mad Dogs' was no exception.

broodblik

1. Proteus Vex
2. The Out
3. Rogue Trooper

Missing out Azimuth/Durham Red/Feral and Foe/Hershey
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Wow its always a sign of a good year when you look at the list of thrills and wonder how the hell your going to make a decision on which was best!... well number one slot aside in my case. So as of this moment I'm going

1. The Out
2. Azimuth
3. Proteus Vex

Have to give HMs to Rogue Trooper, Durham Red, Void Runners and Hershey - can't quite believe none of those make my top three! Its been a good year!

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

1. Azimuth
2. Proteus Vex
3. Rogue Trooper

Despite not digging the Azimuth reveal, it had me hooked and delighted for the bulk of its run. Rogue was the opposite in that I didn't enjoy it at first but it wound up being incredible. Vex, as ever, sheer class.
Felt very harsh to exclude The Out. Loving both Helium and Feral and Foe at the moment, and Hershey had a great ending, but special stuff from those above.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JohnW

I'm not thinking too hard about this. If you ask me tomorrow my votes might well fall differently.

1. The Out
Am I feeling a touch of the diminishing returns here? This run didn't grab me the way the previous two did.
Nevertheless, it's still my favourite so I'll keep the negatives to myself. On the positive side, Joey's 'One for the album,' is too sweet for words.

2. The Fall of Deadworld
After rereading the whole thing in the hardback collections, I'm a convert – a born-again Kek'n'Kendall fan.

3. Helium
Worth waiting for.

Runners-up? Runners-alongside?
Proteus Vex: Another thick slice of proper Twothy goodness, but there have always been so many wheels a-turning in this strip that I find it difficult to follow without constant little rereads.
Azimuth: Beautiful as all heck.
Hershey: I was reluctant to give this a chance, but it's been rehabilitated because of Fraser's art, and because it ended, and ended well. I had feared that Hershey would be out there having adventures and solving crimes for years to come.

Best effing single panel of the year:

Most memorable speech balloon (for better or worse):

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

Le Fink

1. Azimuth
2. Helium
3. Feral & Foe (series 3)

I like these the most because apart from being skilfully plotted and beautifully drawn, they have also been the most fun strips for me. The others I have appreciated but they haven't given me as much sheer enjoyment. Also there's nothing in the way these strips are presented that gets in the way of me enjoying them - all the contributors to these strips, but particularly for me the artists, have excellent storytelling skills.

moly

Funt Solo

Lots of great thrills this year, but these three had me grabbing at the progs to see what was going to happen next.

1. Azimuth

2. The Fall of Deadworld

3. Rogue Trooper
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

2000BC

1. Proteus Vex
2. Azimuth
3. Hershey

HM to Rogue Trooper, The Out, and Helium. 
I thought the overall quality of the art was really high this year.

NapalmKev

1. The Out.

2. Fall of Deadworld.

3. Proteus Vex.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

1. THE OUT

2. PROTEUS VEX

3. HELIUM

Hms go to Azimuth, Rogue Trooper and Hershey.
Not a bad year at the prog by any measure, but stop me before I start gushing over The Out again.