Main Menu

Rufus Dayglo Tank Girl Q&A

Started by Noisybast, 05 October, 2010, 05:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

OK, I know Tank Girl has divided opinion in the Meg of late, but I thought I'd post this link anyway. Errant art bod Dayglo has done an interview over on Ain't It Cool News.
2000AD only gets a brief mention, but hey, Rufus is a talented artist and generally nice bloke, so go and read it, eh?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46884
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

moly

rufus dayglo worked on 2000ad judge dredd etc (his words) so he cant even be bothered to mention what stories he did.. got to admit cant stand tank girl it has no place in the megazine and considering its only the megazine that it has appeared in for the last couple of years (feels like forever) think he could of at least given a better heads up to 2000ad and the megazine

Grant Goggans

Well, he doesn't care for our fandom anymore because Tank Girl got so many negative letters by the end, so it's not surprising that he doesn't want to promote the comics any longer.

I, Cosh

Quote from: moly on 05 October, 2010, 06:05:46 PM
rufus dayglo worked on 2000ad judge dredd etc (his words) so he cant even be bothered to mention what stories he did.. got to admit cant stand tank girl it has no place in the megazine and considering its only the megazine that it has appeared in for the last couple of years (feels like forever) think he could of at least given a better heads up to 2000ad and the megazine
What a load of tripe. Do you also think every artist promoting their current work should namecheck the Primary 2 teacher who let them play with paints and big up their old college?
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

The problem with Tank Girl for me was its semi-permanent slot. If it'd have been less frequent, it wouldn't have irked so many so often.

As for Rufus, I wish he'd been given a pile of Judge Dredds to do as big as his house. I love his Dredd—it's all old-skool and a bit McMahon. Would love to see more.

SmallBlueThing

"A bit McMahon", yep. Like his Tank Girl was "a bit Jamie Hewlett".
SBT

M.I.K.

Uh-huh, but if you compare the stuff that's "a bit McMahon" with the stuff that's "a bit Jamie Hewlett", you'll find that both are "quite a bit Rufus Dayglo". Seems to me that he's emphasising the similarities that his style already has with them more than he's emulating them.

ghostpockets

Speaking of McMahon isn't his Tank Girl book supposed to be coming out soon? Well excity for that.

Personally I'm a big fan of Mr Dayglo and love the occasional nods to past masters in his work, like the Ronald Searle tribute he did in Skidmarks.

Grant Goggans

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 October, 2010, 06:32:06 PM
The problem with Tank Girl for me was its semi-permanent slot...

I'd like to think that was everybody's problem with it.  We all accept that not every strip is going to thrill us every issue, but it's easier to overlook the joker in the pack when it takes a breather for longer than one issue.

Dunk!

It's a short, and I thought good, interview to talk about/promote Tank Girl which is now only available from Image, so why mention 2000ad and the Meg anymore than his animation work? The wonders of the internet allow a link for folks who want to investigate further.

Tank Girl has most definitely left the building.
"Trust we"

Roger Godpleton

Whenever I bought the Meg in the last couple of years, Tank Girl was always the thing I enjoyed most. It felt like a treat.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 05 October, 2010, 08:03:38 PM

I'd like to think that was everybody's problem with it.

Nope. My problem with it is Alan Martin's writing, which I find almost unbearable. Unfortunately, you can't have Tank Girl without it, which is why Tank Girl and I can never be friends.
STRIKE !!!

IAMTHESYSTEM

I always liked his art I just felt that Tank Girl had run her course.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jared Katooie

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 October, 2010, 08:27:55 PM
Quote from: Grant Goggans on 05 October, 2010, 08:03:38 PM

I'd like to think that was everybody's problem with it.

Nope. My problem with it is Alan Martin's writing, which I find almost unbearable. Unfortunately, you can't have Tank Girl without it, which is why Tank Girl and I can never be friends.

Alan Grant also wrote Tank Girl.

It was still rubbish.

Fatboydale

How i would like to join in this thread , but the wife said i should try to be nice ....

Tank girl fucking crap .... see i was nice , i could have been worse ... ;)