Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Mmmm, much much better. Flipping Death looks like an absolute hoot, and Wargroove looks so much the Boy's perfect game it's scary. Add in Rogue Trooper and it's time to start saving.

The Enigmatic Dr X

All of them. I want all of them.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

It seems like a lot of the gaming press are already writing off the Switch, but I think they're underestimating the appeal and value of portable local multiplayer. To me, that's a BIG selling point, and something the other consoles don't offer. Things like Pocket Rumble look brilliant. I feel like local multiplayer has been really sidelined in the last 10-15 years and is long overdue a comeback. Playing Mario Kart online just isn't the same....

Here's hoping for more indie ports - I have a huge library of Steam indie titles, but I never play them because I rarely if ever sit down at my desktop computer to play games. I'd happily rebuy on Switch.

Tiplodocus

Some of the best evenings of my early thirties were spent playing multi-player Mario Kart on the Nintendo 64.  Drunken-evening-tastic!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 March, 2017, 12:31:52 PM
Some of the best evenings of my early thirties were spent playing multi-player Mario Kart on the Nintendo 64.  Drunken-evening-tastic!

Some of the best evenings of my early twenties were spent playing multi-player Mario Kart on the Super Nintendo.  Drunken-evening-tastic!

:)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 01 March, 2017, 05:35:15 PM
Here's hoping for more indie ports - I have a huge library of Steam indie titles, but I never play them because I rarely if ever sit down at my desktop computer to play games. I'd happily rebuy on Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mFODSa2VM

There are more than sixty indie titles in the work for Switch. Several to be released each week.

And here I where, already tempted to buy a console  :P But I think I'll wait till I get some word on a hard drive support. Would like that. Store stuff on it, changing games when needed from the stationary to the handheld. Would also like to hear how the virtual console will be handled.

radiator

Quote from: Apestrife on 02 March, 2017, 06:18:34 PM
Quote from: radiator on 01 March, 2017, 05:35:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mFODSa2VM

There are more than sixty indie titles in the work for Switch. Several to be released each week.

And here I where, already tempted to buy a console  :P But I think I'll wait till I get some word on a hard drive support. Would like that. Store stuff on it, changing games when needed from the stationary to the handheld. Would also like to hear how the virtual console will be handled.

Yep, it's a good start. I just hope these titles do well, and support from indies continues. The Switch seems like a perfect fit for these kind of games.

As far as the console itself goes, I'll most likely wait until the inevitable Switch 2.0, which will iron out all of the kinks this first iteration evidently has, and by then there'll be a lot more games on offer.

Satanist

Jings those are some mighty impressive Zelda scores!

Link Prime

Tiplodocus

Well, my campaign to subconsciously imprint this on Tiny Tips brain has worked and he's asked for one for his birthday present.  It'll be a joint present with me (even though mine is some way off).  So soon I shall be playing Breath of the Wild on the train! 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

I actually asked my kids if they wanted this but they would much rather have a big birthday bash FFS! Guy I work with is bringing his in next week so I can get a hands on try out.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Satanist on 09 March, 2017, 01:53:36 PM
Guy I work with is bringing his in next week so I can get a hands on try out.

Matron!
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 March, 2017, 04:08:18 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 09 March, 2017, 01:53:36 PM
Guy I work with is bringing his in next week so I can get a hands on try out.

Matron!

Yeah I'm looking forward to him whipping it out as from photos it looks a bit too large for my taste.

Satanist

Right had a quick go on this yesterday. First off it's a nice bit of kit, I thought the screen would be cheap and nasty but it looks fine. It's a fair old size though so unless you always have a bag with you it's not really portable like a DS/Vita but that's not really an issue.

Had a quick blast on Zelda where I jumped off a cliff, parasailed down to a forest and had a quick fight. Looks lovely and no issue with controls.

Played multiplayer on indie gem Fast-RMX which is the F-Zero clone. Screens a bit small for split screen but the graphics and speed were impressive. I imagine the Joy-cons are a bit small for any extended play by an adult but should be fine for kids. I did enjoy it though and it bodes well for Mario Kart conversion.

Overall I was surprisingly impressed with it. Still not buying it though but one of my boys has stated Santa will get him it so may end up with one sooner than later.

Did anyone actually get one yet?

Mardroid

I'll admit, I'm not much of a Nintendo* person (actually I'm not really much of a gamer at all, although I've been known to get really into certain games in the past) gravitating more to Sony stuff. (Still in past generations with that actually, owning a PS2 and PS3 super slim.)

The Switch really does look like a lovely bit of kit though. I just love the idea of changing the mode, and clipping bits together to change the operation, etc, and continuing a game wherever you are. I don't have the funds at the moment, but I think this is the first time I've found Nintendo tempting. (The games are so expensive though!)

I read a review yesterday which was largely positive, but mentioned some major issues with the left controller losing the signal. I'd be curious to learn if any Switch users here have had that problem. Hopefully Nintendo will sort it out soon.

*To explain: I don't think Nintendo products are bad. In the past my interest in Playstations has mainly been the fact they're also good film-media machines (actually I use them for that far more than the games, although I'd like to get back into gaming.) and I found their type of games more appealing. The majority of Nintendo games seem to have a cutesy cartoony thing going on - not a bad thing in itself to be fair. I'm more a 3rd person action role-player in taste, and while the Zelda games look like they fit that MO the look of them puts me off a bit. If I really got into the games, maybe I'd change my mind.