Main Menu

Prog 1435 - Snack Attack

Started by Tiplodocus, 18 April, 2005, 04:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

And that's exactly what the prog felt like - a snack attack. With the exception of VCs, each story had a couple of pages of fight scenes which meant it wasn't a very dense read.  Still...

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s
It was just an extended fight really but DREDD did have a bit of a shock at the end probably because I didn't know who the baddie was or that he could possess people. Still loving Boo's art - has a good glow in the dark feel about it.

Sin/Dex had an intriguing set up - the old fish out of water thing is always a good way of showing you a bit more about the characters but after part 1, THE BEACH has been terrible.  Let's just blast our way out. Ok.  Oh and let's show the readers that everybody gets out at the start of the last epiosde. Ok.  Not for me.

American Gothic - I enjoy this even though it's one of those quest type stories (a quest for, well, nothing actually). Some nice gore and Mike Collins shows that you have to be versatile as an artist with some nice horsey pictures (though I'm not exactly sure the grip on the rifle looks correct. Art?)

VCs was the only story that didn't have a fight and hence had some plot and character development. I catually like Ant Wills moody art on this despite the sparse backgrounds.  Best Dabnett story I've read for a while as well.

DANTE had a good execution of the Gorilla and er.. that's about it.

Oh and how bad (and predictable) is the tagline for the Durham Red novel. Very; That's how bad.

PS:  In keeping with the title I thought I should let you know that I enjoyed my Prog with a nice cup of fresh coffee and a bagel and cream cheese.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Cover:  
Well, it's never going to be a classic, is it?  Oh yeah, and their car is red, not grey.  It just looks really clumsy.

Nerve Centre:
Please, I beg you:  get another pic of Tharg - one where he doesn't look he's hyped up on speed and has a shower attachment spraying water out of his forehead.

Judge Dredd:
Utterly forgettable and throwaway storyline but amazingly gorgeous and stunning artwork.  Just about every bit is a winner, but I particularly love the first frame on the 4th page.  Karyn is just the standard pside-kick, and could easily be Anderson or Janus.

Sinister Dexter:
Promising start in part 1 leads to this.  What if there hadn't been a ramp?  Throwaway but fun.

American Gothic:
Meandering gracefully through the west.  I got a bit confused at the end:  he's going "not again!"  When was the last time he saw a bat-woman behead a bandito?  Or is he referring back to the first episode where the male vamp kills the robbers?

The VCs:
Loving this - started off slowly and now it's building up.  I always get used to that artwork but I never like it.  Too stylised.  Sell Williams to the organ-leggers and use the profit to hire Steve Dillon, or Cam Kennedy, or Greg Staples.

Nikolai Dante:
How strange - he's been teleported to the set of Meltdown Man.  Actually, he looks a bit like Nick Stone, doesn't he?  This is fairly throwaway as well, but it's got a good punchline.

Input:
Here we see Tharg coming down off speed.  
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

Tiplodocus

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

"American Gothic: I got a bit confused at the end: he's going "not again!"

The art wasn't particularly clear here and maybe I misread it but I thought it was the person Will saved that was saying "Not Again"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Max Kon

I like tharg on speed. It was an alright prog. all round okayness

Bolt-01

Nice prog. Great to have it to read with my luch today!

Fate: I've already sent this to Tharg, but he hasn't got back to me yet....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/Thargnerve.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

American Gothic: I'm thinking that Lachance was either talking about the fact that on one hand he is talking to  a vampire in a natural way, and then he's face to face with the latest victim. Or that he recognised the jewellery of the victim as belonging to a gang he knows. ice art though. Really strong.

Sin Dex: If there was an off-ramp there why didn't the cannibals use it to escape? Cobblers.

Rest of the prog was aces for me.

Input: Shakara starts in six weeks!

Bolt-01

Funt Solo

::Or that he recognised the jewellery of the victim as belonging to a gang he knows.

That must be it, yes!  In the opening episode there's a flashback to the scene where the wagon train has been attacked and scalps have been taken.  In this episode, the baddy gang are keen on scalping their victims.

Maybe it'll all make sense next week...

Bolt:  your Tharg looks like he's had a rejuve job...maybe they should replace Tharg with Son-of-Tharg.
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

DavidXBrunt

The Cannibals couldn't escape that way because they'd have been walking into the rush of traffic, instant roadkill. And I thought the Edsel was 'Midnight Black'...

Bolt-01

BXB: I thought about that and then thought that if that did happen (cannibal roadkill) it would at east end up with the ramp being noticed. And Finny made it into the middle lane easy enough.

Fate: Tharg is due for a Shedding soon, he always looks better then.

Bolt-01

McNulty

And now for my comments...

Judge Dredd: Great art and a great battle! And the ending was very unexpected! Dredd just doesn't have any luck when he's in the undercity! First he gets turned into a Judge-Wolf, and now he a Judge-Vamp!

Sin/Dex: I've got to agree that it was a mistake to have the conclusion at the start of the episode, but it was a minor thing in an otherwise exciting story.

The V.C.'s: An interesting turn of events in this series. I must be a little dense, because I didn't cotton on that the robot androids were replacements for real humans! I must have assumed that the Polity had simply infiltrated the colonies with these duplicates years ago, not started to abduct humans during the war. Well, live and learn!

Nikolai Dante: Well, he didn't say "Get your hands off me, you damned, dirty ape!" but it was still a good episode. Those gorillas take a lot of killing! It seems that this episode took more from Tarzan than The Planet of the Apes!

And finally Droid Life: Always a welcome laugh!

So, all in all, another good prog!

Art

though I'm not exactly sure the grip on the rifle looks correct. Art?

I get my Progs at irregular intervals, so without a scan I couldn't really tell you.

You can look it up here if you want...

Link: http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm" target="_blank">http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm

Banners

an otherwise exciting story.

Fall off road, go back up ramp. What was exciting about that? An interesting premise, told with no danger, no adventure - and basically, no point.

M@

Capt.Zeep

This may have been covered before, but wasn't there a Dredd story a little while back very like "the beach"...?  Might have even been called The Beach?

Good prog overall but I find Burns' art on Dante rather wonky at times.  And I'm loving VCs, art and plot both spot on.

The Amstor Computer

"An interesting premise, told with no danger, no adventure - and basically, no point."

Mbanners, meet Sinister Dexter for the past God knows how many years. Sinister Dexter, meet Mbanners.

;-)

Leigh S

"Oh yeah, and their car is red, not grey"

Sin Dex's Edsel has morality sensing paint - so when they are the good guys, the car is red, and when they are morally ambiguous, it goes grey - when theyre killing innocents, it changes again to black - it all makes sense now....

Carlsborg Expert

You know Im gonna admit it.

I really wanted to follow this story to its penultimatum and then its climax.

sorry to see this lesser fabricated plot go weak for a "tits up" style buy out.

I suppose Im going to havbe to sit and accept amstors conclusion.

thats the way sinister/deskstor is.

an office fumble at christmas, a way for writers to keep up with "the times" by snorting coke,getting steve Yeowell to *do* the art and rattle off a tri-episodic muff dive.

I do have to read this in the flesh so Im reserving my true feelings for the outcome.

this and the tekken competion with Shakara and armored gideon is what makes me want to reba;nce my coffe times.

/Rant off++