Main Menu

Prog 1444: Ghoul Fight

Started by Max Kon, 18 June, 2005, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Judge Dredd.

He's the man that stands four square for justice.  He passed a cadet once because the cadet arrested his own mother.  He executed his clone brother.  When he felt he was losing his edge he started wearing tight boots.  He IS the law!  

Well, not anymore, it seems.  Now he seems to be this wishy washy guy that lets himself be assaulted (by Vienna).  Where's the "assault on a Judge, creep:  15 years!"  Where the f*ck did he go?  

The gun that killed Vienna's friends is from brit-cit, and so is her mysterious new boyfriend:  can't Dredd put two and two together here?  Isn't he at least suspicious?  If he was visiting Vienna in order to investigate the murder, why didn't he question both of them?  The Dredd I grew up reading would have them both interogated down at the sector house and pumped full of truth serum.

This story is not portraying any Judge Dredd that I recognise:  in fact, he's more like the Stallone movie version, and I wouldn't be surprised if this artist (who insists on every single character being someone contemporary with modern media) will remove Dredd's helmet and we'll see that in fact it's Stallone under there.

That panel where Dredd goofily waves his arms around as he's shoved out of Vienna's apartment:  it's just not him.  He doesn't do goofy.

Why not just take Dredd out of the comic and replace it with a comic strip version of Friends?  At least then the creators would be playing to their strengths.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

Speculation time.

From Rennie's mini-interview in the news section of 2000adreview.co.uk:

What are your plans for Dredd over the next year?
I'm currently in the middle of writing a story called Blood Trails, which will be the big Dredd story for this summer. It picks up on one of the plot threads from Total War, about Vienna and her relationship with Dredd, and is also a sort of semi-sequel to one of my own Dredd stories. Oh yeah, and I get to kill off some more established Dreddverse characters.

"Some more established", eh?  My guess is that all those thinking Vienna or Rico are due for the chop are barking up the wrong tree.  If it was a major character like that we'd see heavy plugging from Tharg and even the laconic Rennie would've used a stronger phrase.

Maybe Giant?  Stabbed in the back by Clooney?

Carlsborg Expert

Yes he certainly is a slippery one,Dredd is up against.It could be anyone.Even Guthrie.

Carlsborg Expert

Heres something new Im doing.

See if you can guess what the link is.

Link: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1800178758&cf=info&intl=us" target="_blank">tracking Rouge.

Carlsborg Expert

Carlsborg Expert

Funt Solo

Welcome to the new "Ultimate Links" thread.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Carlsborg Expert

Mr C

Er... Carlsborg, I think you're on the wrong thread. Or possibly wrong mental alignment :-S

Carlsborg Expert

You cant get it can you?

Come on its only a bit of fun.

Keef Monkey

Was it just me or is the cover just the last page of last weeks strip? Haven't looked at it in any detail but at a glance it was uncanny.
A good issue, best moment was the midges. living in Scotland it's nice to see it portrayed as the shit hole it truly is. Just kidding, I'm sure there's really nice places here, it's just that in 24 years I've never been to any of them.

Wake

I've just checked and it isn't the same image. The pose is slightly different.

Cheers,

Wake

Carlsborg Expert

Sorry .

I didnt explain it properly.

It may be a moot point but can you guess the link to this weeks prog?

gnilleps

"Atavar - I refuse to enjoy any strip where's its title contains a spelling mistake."

Like Dredd? ;)

Keef Monkey

---I've just checked and it isn't the same image. The pose is slightly different---

Phew, thought for a minute that time constraints or, even worse, budget cuts had meant they couldn't commission a cover.