Main Menu

Can anyone recommend some rubbish books?

Started by Rob Spalding, 22 April, 2006, 07:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

...er, any of those endless Star Trek books pumped out by, erm, pocketbooks is it? I was on a training course the other week and our trainer- a top psychologist person- was ranting about them. Apparently, Paramount/ Pocketbooks sell the license to whoever wants to fork out the cash and just publish the results- and most of them are written by people with Aspergers Syndrome. Whether that, in itself, makes the very bad indeed, I wouldn't like to say- but on a bit of flicking though (post-course), I was appalled.

But then, I have no interest whatsoever in Star Trek. And 'Aspergers Syndrome' does seem to sum up the whole bloody thing for me.

Anyway- try them. And The DaVinci Code, which is awful, awful toss.

Steev

SamuelAWilkinson

The prequels to Dune, written by Frank Herbert's money-grabbing son.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Roger Godpleton

Anything by Julie Burchill. I've never read any of them, but it's Burchill. Same goes for that Littlejohn book.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

If you really want an ego-boost, read 'Saucer' by Stephen Coontz.
Not only is each character more ridiculous than the last, but it's an SF book written by a man who's clealry never heard of either Science Fiction, Science, or Fiction. The only mystery bigger than how Coontz got it published is how I finished it.  And there's a sequel.  Hope for us all.

philt

Stephen Baxter's Moonseed, Titan, and the Origins trilogy.

judge dreddd

The important thing is to write something that could easily be made into a film so you can sell the rights for bags of cash.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Rising by Brian Keene.

Not that I'm a published writer or anything, but it reminds me of the stuff I did when I was 12. Only less coherent.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I should add that it was after reading it (okay, the first 50 pages) that I started writing again more than once every 6 months.
Lock up your spoons!

Floyd-the-k

Julie Burchill wrote some very good books, particularly 'The Boy Looked at Johnny' and 'Love it or Shove it".

but to your request; anything by Clive Cussler should show you that hard work wins out over talent any time.
  Erica Jong's poetry is hilariously bad, give that a whirl (especially if you want to write poetry).

....and Australia's own Tim Winton, despite winning all sorts of awards and being very popular is complete crap. I don't believe you could write worse than he does.

Carlsborg Expert

I always thought dean r koonts books were particularly savagely written.Reams of irrelevent psycological insight packing out unoriginal storylines.

Devons Daddy

if you want to read about what its really like to be a chef and work in kitchens.
 as in not the celebrity,all shouty and sweary, but the truth of the SEX, DRUGS AND GREAT FOOD & TRAVEL. then kitchen confidentail is not worth a look.by the now celebrity chef anthony bourdain.

its rather scarry how true to life it is.just a bit too real for most professional cooks to believe he told everyone.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

auxlen

Go into your local supermarket (ASDA, TESCO etc) Go to the book section.
Pick up this weeks No1 internation best seller
(for best results choose an american. For ultimate results choose an american woman)
Pay the ?2.99.
Go home and laugh until you get angry.

greylurker01

for really crap books go for John Norman's Gor series - they get worse as the series progresses.I bought them for the brilliant Boris covers then very quickly got rid of them after reading three.

Tex Hex

Ive read some Dan Brown to kill some time. It is pretty funny stuff. He should be writing dialogue for Voice Over Guy wot does movie trailers. Cheesy dialogue interspersed with "research I did" bits. By merit of the sheer dumbness of the prose your eyes fly over it - there is nothing like a challenging word or paragraph in sight. Still, while they lasted I HAD to keep reading.

He will surely spur you on to success...

-hex

TheReV667 v2.1

Yeah, can i recommend the new Rogue Trooper novel?
Waste of time, cash and blinking...