Main Menu

Peter Jackson's King Kong

Started by Last of the V8's, 16 August, 2003, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieB

Read the draft script for this a while back. It's very faithful to the original, packs in action and gore (LOTR style last-second cutaways keep the rating down) and looks to be a kick-ass version of KONG, for my money. Which it will be receiving, oh yes.

J-Bo-1

Dudley

Thought jackson was meant to be making a lo-budget feature about a (real-life) scientist who took a young boy with a defomred penis and raised him as a girl?

What's the fun of directing huge special-effects blockbusters if you don't get the cash to do the films you REALLY want to do?

Slippery PD

Erm is his name Frank.....

Yer "turn it on the wasp factorys head" Slippo

Smiley

Heh, Wasp Factory. There's another possible film I'm in two minds over whether it should it ever get made.

jock

'Just a shame Garth Ennis never got to do that Bad Taste comics adaptation in 2000 AD like he always wanted.'
...now there is something i'd love to draw!

'I'm born again!'
Jock

Dudley

Looks like Banks was simply ripping off a real-life story.  How disappointing.

From Empire:

So how do you follow the eye-popping grandeur of a three-year labour of love the size of The Lord of the Rings trilogy? Let your ego expand to the size of Jupiter, recklessly go hell for leather at another huge project and land roundly on your arse? Not if you're Peter Jackson, you don't.

Wisely giving himself a break from the Balrogs of this world and putting off his proposed King Kong remake, Jackson is to make a small, true story in the vein of Heavenly Creatures his next project. His writer and producer on LOTR, Fran Walsh has revealed that one such candidate is the true tale As Nature Made Him about a New Zealand doctor who thought he'd found the perfect subject to test his theory that gender can be assigned to newborns. The medicine man switched the gender of an eight-month old baby after the child was deformed in a disastrous circumcision mishap. Walsh told Variety, "The boy was remade and raised as a girl, and it's the story of how that experiment ended so disastrously." Any further away from Tolkien you cannot get.

But Jackson's got to wrap up the third and final part of his Middle-Earth masterpiece before concentrating on such smaller movies. Walsh added "Peter's already very much engaged in Return of the King, and I know he's most proud of the last movie."

Link: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?endeca=1&ean=9780060192112&displayonly=RGG" target="_blank">http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?endeca=1&ean=9780060192112&displayonly=RGG

Mudcrab

"...now there is something i'd love to draw! "

This is all getting too much! Oi Tharg, make it so!!!

Not on King Kong, but on the subject of remakes, I hope everyone will boycott the travesty that is The Italian Job remake. Bah! No Michael Caine, no Noel Coward, no Benny Hill, NO REAL MINIS!!! And it'll be full of bloody yanks. No place for yanks in the Italian Job, that's what I say :o)

On King Kong, I reckon he'll make a good job of it, you can't obviously top the original, but you can certainly make the world forget about the rubbish remake with it's pervy King Kong trying to pull the woman's top down. Umm, TACKY!

At least he won't be climbing the World Trade Centre this time round.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

GordonR

>>Not on King Kong, but on the subject of remakes, I hope everyone will boycott the travesty that is The Italian Job remake. Bah! No Michael Caine, no Noel Coward, no Benny Hill, NO REAL MINIS!!!

Fair does, mate.  No matter how hard the filmmakers could have tried to make the remake resemble the original, creating roles for Coward and Hill might have been a bit difficult, seeing as how they've been dead for years.

Slippery PD

Thing is can it be any better than Get Carter, Planet of the Apes, The Vanishing, et al?????

Remakes tend to be awful.  The Italian Job (IMHO) wasnt even a great movie to start with, so imagine it in the hands of Warlberg????  I rest my case!

I await King Kong with a cyniscm....  Optomistic cyniscm (Sp)

Yer Slips

GordonR

>>Remakes tend to be awful.

There are a few honourable exceptions, of course.

Like the 1941 Bogard/Bacall/Houston version of The Maltese Falcon.  Who even remembers that the story had already been filmed twice before?

Mudcrab

"creating roles for Coward and Hill might have been a bit difficult, seeing as how they've been dead for years"

There is that, yes. I didn't mean they should be in it, just that you can't replace them as characters, and certainly not with americans. But anyway, the main point is that it's just a big advert for the new minis which are crap, completely defying the point of a mini, that is, being small, which the new ones aren't. Horrible crap hatchbacks shaped like minis are what they are.

Thing is too, why remake it? If they're going to change it that much anyway (I believe it's not going to be in Rome anymore), why not just make it a sequel of sorts?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!