Main Menu

Rebellion Working On Rogue Trooper Game!!!!

Started by Matt, 09 September, 2003, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Just come across this on computerandvideogames.com

Dredd Versus Death developer has informed us that it is working on a game featuring 2000AD character Rogue Trooper.

Genetic Infantryman (G.I.) Rogue Trooper has been one of the most popular characters to appear in the sci-fi comic 2000AD, having first appeared way, way back in 1981.

The story or strip of Rogue Trooper followed the escapades of a cloned and genetically modified soldier who went rogue on planet Four Sigma Three, where 120 such beings were being tested to their limits. As super-soldiers, they had been designed to survive in extreme, hostile conditions, and had enhanced stamina and reflexes and accelerated growth and regeneration capabilities.

Anyone familiar with the strip will have fond memories of Rogue's three biochip buddies - each genetic soldier had a biochip implanted that contained their personalities and memories. Rogue's biochip buddies resided in his gun, helmet and backpack, and helped him out in his fight for survival on the planet.

It'll be interesting to see how the developer incorporates these three personalities. It's quite possible that at least one of their uses will be as trainers or guides to help players in the early stages of the game.

According to Rebellion, its Rogue Trooper game is currently a third-person title - presumably action - but it's still in the very early stages of development. It's surprising because, if anything, we think Rogue Trooper would be ideal for the first-person shooter genre, but with many of today's FPS titles offering both modes, this could still happen.

Mudcrab

Mmmm, joyous news indeed!

I assume they'll do the original Rouge one, given poular opinion on the matter.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Mmmm, joyous news indeed!

I assume they'll do the original Rouge one, given popular opinion on the matter.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Art

Leigh S

Tis abit worrying to see all those Friday references in there - but I'm sure thats just poor Journo again

CGI_squirrel

Adrian Bamforth

Trouble is, is there anything that would make Rogue Trooper any different from any tactical military 1st or 3rd person shooter? And there's plenty of those. Hopefully they'll really ramp up the futuristic side of things.

ADE

paulvonscott

Yeah, welll the thing is there are a lot of weird things and technology to throw into a Rogue Game.

I think the best thing would be to have story missions you could just load into the game and off you go, roaming around Nu-Earth.  Sort of a bit like Vice City.  You could have mini-missions which you could complete by interacting with characters.

But I don't really understand all this computer stuff.

Buddy

Gotta be first person.. never like all that third person malarkey!!! (You know I've NEVER played Tomb Raider or Resident Evil).

Personally I'm waiting for the Stronty Dog game... Hunting down scum across the galaxy...

I'll get me electronux!

Devons Daddy

great news and rogue may be a good choice. no need for so much history of character for any one playing it.

But an SD now we are talking. that would be damn brillant. gronks with health paks, time bombs, specail big guns, hunting down crimnals across the galaxy for bounty money which would be needed for the missions.
now i can see that being a truly amazing game experience.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Steamboy

Nothin wrong with Friday sure story went bourke after the first few series but u gotta admit The War Machine is the best Rouge or Friday story ever. Just my opinion though, i think the war machine would make a great game First person though this 3D action game malarkey is shit.

paulvonscott

Yeah it would Daddy, each time you could track a bad guy down to a planet, have a combat.  If he puts you in hospital, he gets away.  You could have computer run bountyhunters after them too.

And a multiplayer The Killing would be great.  Where people are whittled down until only one remains.

Slippery PD

Great idea.  A stront game with a "the Killing" add on.  Superb...  

Add in little bots of humour and we are there.  Of course, how would that affect noisybasts quake mod??!??!?

Yer Slips

paulvonscott

I think if you had a Killing game, it would be cool if when people died, they were out of the game, but could invisibly wander around like ghosts watching the rest of the game and see how it goes.

For the main game, have Credits as the system of scoring, you have to pay to get from planet to planet, so the longer it takes, the more it costs you.  Same with weapons, medical aid, hiring transport, paying informers (who may or may not be any good).  The bigger bounties have the hardest criminals and more better bounty hunters after them.

You could have the game so you never actually die, you are just hospitalised and you keep having to pay credits.  If you run out of credits and then end up in hospital, maybe then you are out of the game :o

Add in general scum, kreeler factions etc. trying to lynch you, beggars and good causes trying to take your money, the possiblity Paxman may turn up if you don't pay your taxes, the ability to choose mutations for your player as well as have a random mutie, and I think you have the potential for a very interesting game.  A bit more than just a straight shoot em up.

Woolly

Something like that could be done for Dredd.
Imagine an online MC1, computer and human controlled perps and citizens and its your job to judge the bastards!
Had a bad day at work? Log on and bust some skulls!!